It is currently October 1st, 2020, 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 9th, 2012, 11:27 am 

I don't know how many are following the recent changes that the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans is placing on the Fish Habitat Managment Program. When I think of fish and fishing-it sort of seems to be that if you don't have healthy productive habitats for fish, then there wont be any fish.

In Ontario changes include:
Closure of all DFO Habitat Managment Offices with the exception of Burlington (this means no offices in Kenora, Thunder Bay, Parry Sound, Peterborough, Prescott, Sault St. Marie and London).

http://thecanadian.org/item/1399-otto-l ... es-act-dfo
(Otto Langer has several other interesting comments on the webpage).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commenta ... le4393003/

When I paddle around cottage country lakes, I see lots of new walls along shorelines, dredging, infills, monster boathouses, clearcuts etc.
MNR also seems to be distancing themselves from smaller project review. Maybe on a site by site basis impacts are low risk, but I wonder 20, 30, 50 or 100 years from now what the cumulative impacts may be on our fish and their habitats...

Interesting times ahead. I do hear rumors that consultations are happening this summer (ironically after announcing office closures). My letter to the MP and the Minister is going out today.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2012, 4:29 pm 

Quote:
MNR also seems to be distancing themselves from smaller project review.

IIRC, the Ontario budget plans for a downsized MNR with some review downloaded to municipalities... municipalities love land development since it brings outside money in and boosts the local economy. This might mean more cottaged lakes, more crown land being sold to developers, more shoreline alterations being allowed with the loss of natural features. Those Muskoka shoreline estates dripping money might become more widespread as more land becomes available to be developed.

Crown land has been sold to developers regularly in the past, there might be a lot more of that going on in the next few years. And maybe no public consultation process to counter it.