It is currently October 17th, 2019, 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 9:24 am 

In late October I spent a week deer hunting at Low's Lake in NY's Adirondack's. I loaded up my canoe with my canvas wall tent, stove, hunting gear, good food for a week and paddled up the Bog River and into Lows Lake, about 12-13 miles to my campsite. I saw one other canoe the week I was in there and pretty much had the place to myself.

I set up my wall tent with my new home-made interior frame made out of hardwood and pine poles with 6 angel pieces. It looks pretty flimsy, but one night the wind blew hard and it held up well. Cutting live trees is not allowed here, so this frame was a must.Image

My wall tent was at one time an 8x10 but I cut it down to about 6x7 and dropped the height down also by a good 15 inches. It sets up fast on the frame, and the guy ropes really hold the whole rig together.

I added my old campmore tarp to the roof and it was weather tight. Along with the wind, I had some heavy rain and I never had a drip inside.

Inside, I had a chair and a cot, and my wood stove and a supply of wood. Yes, I took way too much "stuff" but it was my first late season canoe trip, there was only one small portage and at 64 the old guy likes his comfort
and my Rhode Island Reds free range eggs....
I managed to gather up some washed up beaver wood for my stove, easy to find and it burns nice.
Back at camp I cut it up with my old Schmidt Packsaw, and my Snow and Kneally Cruiser Ax.

Sometimes I just sat around drinking coffee and admiring the view.
Other times I cruised the shoreline very quietly in my Chestnut Pal
Then other times I climbed hills and saw more moose sign then deer sign. The views of the lake where a great reward for my climb.

All in all, a great week out with my canoe and tent, never saw a deer but had many memorable moments

Last edited by Robin on November 16th, 2012, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 9:35 am 

Nice, very envious!

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 1:32 pm 

The only problem that I see in those photos is that I'm not in any of them :(
Looks like it was a nice trip. Fall camps are often the best of the year.
We've got to get together for a canoe trip some time.
Cheers,

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 2:05 pm 

Ahh...fall camping! The ONLY reason I can't wait to retire.... :thumbup:

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 10:33 pm 

Robin wrote:
In late October I spent a week deer hunting at Low's Lake in NY's Adirondack's. I loaded up my canoe with my canvas wall tent, stove, hunting gear, good food for a week and paddled up the Bog River and into Lows Lake, about 12-13 miles to my campsite. I saw one other canoe the week I was in there and pretty much had the place to myself.

All in all, a great week out with my canoe and tent, never saw a deer but had many memorable moments
Looks like you stayed on Boone's Landing, judging from your photo showing unmistakeable Graves Mtn across the lake. To the left is higher and broad Grass Pond Mtn, with spectacular views of the entire area from the summit. I've been going to Lows and beyond at least twice a year for nearly 25 years. It is our stomping ground for an annual week of training Boy Scout high adventure wilderness trek leader guides, so I know the area quite well. Even though relatively remote and large, summers are becoming evermore crowded, so you went at a good time.

Lows was at the heart of the most severe blowdown damage from the microburst of 1995. We sadly lost many huge old-growth trees and unique virgin timber stands. That storm considerably altered the vegetation growth pattern and closed trails (to those who require trails) for years. But it makes for some great bushwhacks and traditional map & compass training. Much of the down wood has degraded now, but it is nothing like it used to be.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 11:33 pm 

Low's at another season May 2011

In the parking lot..a harbinger of things past and to come.

Uh uh I am not getting on the car ferry here today. Dang, my car won't fit in the canoe!

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 6:42 am 

Great TR Robin! Beauty hot tent rig you have there! The wall tent is still king for livability and interior useable space. Nice design on those pole couplers. Did you calculate the angle yourself and weld those? Or are they a commercial product and you made the tent to the set angles? Those internal poles provide an awesome amount of hanging places.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 9:10 am 

Ted, we have to do a hot tent trip, maybe a ice out trout lake in Algonquin? It would even be better if you finished that wood canvas Peterborough you have.
Probably lots of folks up there have wood canvas canoes and hot tents, make it a WC-HT-Gathering?

Watersong, Retirement is great, grab it as soon as you can and enjoy life.

Rob, Thanks, it's not Marshall Lake area but it has to do. I can only imagine how much fun a moose hunt with canoe and hot tent is. I put my $50 into the Maine Moose Hunt lottery every year hoping to draw a permit and hunt out of my 17' Chestnut Prospector

Nessmunk, I stopped at Boones Landing and took that first picture, good call. I stayed at site 35. I bushwacked around Tomar Mt, up and over one day, beautiful hardwoods in there.
Sitting up over a trail, Tomar pond out front

YC- Nice pictures, flooded ferry landing at the end?

HOOP, Those 6 angles came from the 9 piece kit that came with the tent when I bought it new. They are heavy, but very strong. When I downsized the 8x10 wall tent, I kept the roof the same, although I moved the stove pipe from going thru the roof to out the front. I also cut that stove down from 12x12x24 to 12x12x12. I need to do some more work on it, but it works fine, I sleep without heat. Maybe a smaller stove would be better for shoulder season and portage ease. I used wire to hang stuff on the interior frame, but I'm thinking about something neater, like shower curtain hooks or some other ring I can just slide onto the dowels as I'm setting the tent up.

Although I didn't see any deer in NY, I did manage to connect here in CT on 11/13, up behind my place on my neighbors farm, 174lbs, 7 point, maybe some venison jerky for Ted and Robins wood canvas/hot tent gathering...hah

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 9:56 am 

Well done.
I don't know how to fish, but I'll fake it for some good deer jerky :thumbup:

I intent/hope/expect to have my little Huron trapper canoe canvased and painted over the winter. I'm down to 4 house projects so the garage should be empty enough to start filling before Christmas.

So someplace sometime in the spring we'll get together for some WC hot-tenting. Good idea.

Ted

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 10:04 am 

Yep flooded ferry landing at Essex NY.
After that soggy mess, I do believe I will go forth next May with my Snowtrekker tent and stove.

That is if there are not too many portages. Littleredcanoe has five thwarts that get in the way. Packing for a portage trip does not quite work well.

That is if I can come.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 10:56 am 

Not to worry, Ted, I have a few spare Chestnuts if your's isn't finished.

But we will work on a date and place and get together. Great!

LRC (sorry about the YC thing, opps) Hey, lots of room, 3's a gathering in the canoe world.

This time when the snow flies like LaVerendrye in years past, we will have a warmer place than the campfire to tell lies and tall stories.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 11:34 am 

Quote:
This time when the snow flies like LaVerendrye in years past, we will have a warmer place than the campfire to tell lies and tall stories.

I wonder why it took so long for us to learn? Old Age Stubbornness? :rofl:

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 3:56 pm 

Yipe! I didn't know that canvas tents were so transparent in the dark.
Remind me not to run around naked after dark in mine :doh:

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 4:27 pm 

Ted wrote:
Yipe! I didn't know that canvas tents were so transparent in the dark.
Remind me not to run around naked after dark in mine :doh:

Just remember to turn out the lights. :rofl: And note the lack of detail... :o

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 5:32 pm 

Robin

Thanks for a great post. I am just starting to get interested in camping in a wall tent with a small wood stove. It looked great.

Frankr