It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: DF 13
PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 9:26 am 

Hi all,
The Budd car arrived at Nitro Creek about a half hour late on Sun and the last of the DFer's arrived in Sudbury on time... a rare occasion I must say...
I had a great time and wanted to thank Scouter Joe for allowing me to bunk in his warm abode and lbpuppy, maddogbob, Smokey and Billy for their harmonies on Sat night in Smokey's Lounge ( it was a lot warmer)... Potluck night was a great time and I appreciate the kind words from those who enjoyed the entertainment... hopefully I'll be back... as for next years DF the discussion were lively and as Swift mentioned one option was Smokefox... I felt bad for the Tues crew not being able to go in to Nitro... but it looks like they made the best of a bad situation ( as I knew they would ) ... thanks for the report jimdiane (check you pm)..
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 3:12 pm 

I certainly understand the frustration with the Budd Car service. It does sometimes seem that they are deliberately degrading the service to discourage custom, particularly in the winter.

That said, it does offer at least one big advantage to an event like DF: parking. Very few suitable roadside, crown land sites would have reliably plowed and safe parking for 10-15 vehicles. There is (or at least was) a lot near the Smokefox site so that might still be an option. Otherwise we might be faced with chartering a bus or something, which is a level of organization I doubt anyone wants to get into.

We shall see what the next year brings. I hope the camp continues and look forward to attending next year, regardless of how we get there.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 9:23 pm 

I arrived home, this morning, shortly before lunch and as usual, whether it be a canoe trip or winter camping trip am having a tough time adjusting to the demands of life out of the bush!

It sure was disapointing when we learned about the Bud being cancelled and I really missed seeing those that could not attend. I have always enjoyed seeing how much the "kids" grew since the previous DF!

Big thanks to all of those who contributed to the well-being of the group. Joe ... a master craftsman, Carol ... for putting up with the Banter Boys and picking up the crew that walked out. Smokey, Al with his tunes, the organizers of the pot luck, Andrew ... for all the laughs and generous heart. Especially to the constructor of the thunder box!

Looking forward to next year! :thumbup:

Bob

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 12:06 pm 

It has been great following this journey you have all taken. Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences.

This Friday my brother and I are travelling to Sudbury to catch the Saturday train. We plan on spending 4 nights out hot camping and returning Wednesday. I think we will be going to mile 18 as Canoedog suggested.

Can anyone provide me with what the conditions were like? Also I was wondering if we should ride your coat tails and go to nitro as the trail is already broke?

If you are able to make any last minute suggestions for that would be appreciated.

Thank you again.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 3:42 pm 

The above reports and some pics on fb attest to the success of this DF event - at least if you were able to make it there. Thanks for sharing, guys, and I wish you many more such outings ahead!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 5:38 pm 

I walked to milage 18 and snow shoed in to Path creek . The snow is quite deep and with small shoes the going is tough . You could set up in the jack pines or at the creek where there are more poles if you require them plus standing dead trees and water . The lake is another 2 kilometers and none of us have broke trail to it . Were we camped there are lots of trails heading out in different directions and a few days firewood left over that you are welcome to .scouter Joe

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 8:52 pm 

Is there a DF fB page. I'd love to see some pics.

RR

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 8:26 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I don't do fazebook, but would love to see some photos, too.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 8:50 am 

Just curious, did anyone catch any fish this year?

Kinguq.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 6:49 pm 

Yes Daniel , Mike caught two , Bob caught the biggest and I caught one. They were all nice size brookies.
Bill

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: March 4th, 2013, 9:39 pm 

A trip report with some photos -

http://www.canoedog.ca/2013/03/deep-fre ... creek.html

Cheers

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 5:59 am 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 9:02 am 

Hey Smokey,
Thanks for the DF13 trip report on your site. You pretty much summed up what the experience is like... Hopefully there'll be a concensus for next years location that allows everyone access without dependence on the less than reliable Budd Car so that everyone including Jimdiane, Big Jim, Dusan and Mike will come back for DF14..
Thanks to all the DFer's who make this a special winter trip...
See you all next year if I ain't someplace warm...
'Ah for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage' (Stan Rogers )
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 12:22 pm 

great music, Al! Loved the wrap up song! (though, you have to get a few more of Stan R's songs! ..lol.. )

next year!
FD

PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 1:19 pm 

I do have a few more in my arsenal, but Shirley and Swift kept outshouting you and Dave... you know how it is.. you gotta play to the crowd, or those who keep the vocal lubricant flowing..
Next year you'll have to shout a little louder or provide the 'grease' for the pipes ... the older the better :lol:
Cheers,
Al

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next