It is currently December 8th, 2019, 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 8th, 2013, 10:27 am 

Bill, the GoLite tipi I have would sure be tight with a stove, but worthy of consideration. They call it a 6 person, but with the sides sloping off like they do, only 2 can comfortably use it, and 4 for sleeping in a pinch.

I have never tried the VB socks, but wouldn't your feet get drenched in them, thus causing blistering issues. I might at least do a look around to read about them.

Yes, all the lakes do freeze over in the winter. Depending on the year, and conditions, the Cariboo River is mostly open, making for a couple tricky parts to navigate around. The biggest being the turn from McLeary Lake onto the Cariboo, where it swings against the right (north) bank. You need to go up over the hump there, and bushwhack a couple kilometers before dropping down again (assuming a clockwise route). It was warm the last time I was there, and crossing McLeary was a bit dicey. The four of us roped up, and the lead left his pulk for one of us to tow in tandem, and carried a piece of aluminum ladder should something happen. The ice looked to be no more than a couple inches, but we made it across safely. I have been there twice in the winter, and would go back again in a heartbeat. Just as beautiful then.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: March 8th, 2013, 11:00 am 

Hey Jim; As a twenty two year old i lived and worked on the Bowron chain for 6 months in 73 . Part of that time was spent building the wooden trails from Kibbie to Issac. Was a good time. Thanks for the info on the lakes in winter.
-The small golite /stove combo is definitely a solo gig. Would be roomier with the larger golite.
-Some folks wear a thin nylon sock next to the foot, then the VBS, then the wool. Have not heard folks talk about blisters. Vapor barriers have been talked about at length among the winter campers on Hammock Forums.

bill

"www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

PostPosted: March 8th, 2013, 11:26 am 

This has been mentioned before but bears repeating. Climbers have wet feet issues from sweat and some deal with the problem by the simple expedient of using antiperspirent on their feet. Try it. It works.