It is currently September 26th, 2020, 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 12:41 pm 

I was discussing collapsible rods in another thread (http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 59&start=0) and figured I'd stop hijacking that thread and that this one deserved a thread of it's own. I was searching for collapsible rod info on the net, and came across this thread where several of the posters recommended Emmrod rods: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showth ... p?t=159012

Have any of you seen and or tried these rods from Emmrod? http://www.emmrod.com
(head to the website for larger pictures.)

I am really intrigued by this idea. The price (about $80, plus I'm sure there'd be some shipping fees) is more than I typically spend on a rod (which is maybe why I break them so often), but if I'm not breaking the gear then it's worth it. As mentioned in another thread, the reel matters. I'm pretty unhappy with my current one - my favourite one, a Shimano that cost me about $40, ~20 years ago) is 20' down in Lac La Ronge.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 3:44 pm 

Bryan, I tried one of those a friend had. The thing is almost bomb-proof, and you would have to try really hard to do it damage. For spin casting it is not too bad, but a full length rod for me is way more accurate and I can cast a lot further too. The action (yes, I did catch a 2 lb Rainbow on it) was not too bad, but something I was not real used to. These are just observations from using it for less than an hour though.

I would never buy one, mostly because it would not work for how I troll. I use a rod holder mounted in the middle of the thwart in front of me, and a full length rod works great swung out to the side, even if I need to paddle on the same side. If I was never going to troll, I might consider a short rod.

I did try a few collapsibles, but they generally have terrible action. One I had, and Ugly Stick, was not too bad at near $100. It was stepped on and broken on its maiden voyage, and never replaced.

I have always used a good quality 3-4 piece rod, though not quite as good as a 1-2 piece, it does stow real nice.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 3:51 pm 

dunkin' wrote:
I use a rod holder mounted in the middle of the thwart in front of me, and a full length rod works great swung out to the side, even if I need to paddle on the same side. If I was never going to troll, I might consider a short rod.

I do the same thing, thanks for reminding me! I have a rod holder installed in the center of the thwart right in front of me, and another in the bow deck plate for my bow paddler. The thwart and bow plate have been reinfoced to take the hole required for a flush mount rod holder base.

So, back to the multi-piece rod idea.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: April 11th, 2013, 4:47 pm 

I wanted to bump this discussion back - does anyone else have comments about emmrod? I was at the Outdoor Adventure Show in Mississauga a couple months ago and there was a guy there selling these.

He claimed that he could cast just as well as with a normal rod/it was the only rod he ever used. The problem at the show was that it wasn't possible to demonstrate casting with all the other booths around.

I carry in a two-piece graphite rod, attached to the spare paddle, with the reel stowed away. This means that I really don't do any fishing until camp is set up. I thought that I might fish a little more frequently if I had an emmrod - if they're any good?

PostPosted: April 15th, 2013, 12:57 pm 

It looks very interesting. I like the concept.
Hopefully someone will post first hand experience.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 11:11 am 

I used the emmrod for 3 years now when I canoe (still use a regular rod in a boat). After a while I can cast as far and as accurately as with a rod provided there is enough weight to be cast.

I like the fact that it would be very hard to actually damage the rod. What concerns me most would be nicking the spring or top guide as that could compromise line strength.

I also like the fact that the shortness of the rod means that the fish is very close to the canoe when it's time to net. safe and easy. Even when fishing tandem I prefer that one nets their own fish as there is much less chance of a sudden change in center of gravity and one unoccupied person can act as a balancer.

I've caught many 2-3 lb. smallmouth, pickerel, and a few 3-4 pike and never wished for a "real" rod.

I like them for canoe fishing. My initial reason for getting was too many broken rods/spoiled opportunities to fish.

Don't get the one with the adjustable handle...mine broke the first year (its plastic). to the companies credit they replaced it with a different model no problem.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 11:26 am 

Thanks for your review bugmeist. Great to hear they work well.
Cheers,
Bryan