It is currently September 21st, 2019, 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 8:53 am 

Survival Lily's vids are made somewhere in Europe, it seems... she does speak English and here shows how to make bread without any pan or oven by simply laying the dough on the ashes. This results in a somewhat burned bread but maybe that adds to the flavor. I'll have to try it sometime this spring although with simpler bannock.

She goes to a great deal of trouble to make sourdough bread here, maybe the flavor makes it worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYXQ13N4_2w

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 11:55 am 

I used to be subscribed to her channel but have lost interest in it completely. I don't think she is much of a survival expert and her only unique aspect is she is a girl...which there are not many survival type girls on YouTube...otherwise her videos are pretty boring.

Not knocking your post frozen, I'll check out the video. I just think there are too many goofballs carrying a camera around in the bush now pretending they are survival experts. I think she falls into the "vlogging" category more then anything.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 1:27 pm 

Hey Sam, her recipe for bread/bannock sounded good and I'm gonna try it... IIRC, add coriander, caraway, anise, fennel and garlic to the mix and then bake.

Any recs on bushcraft vids? I've found Joe Robinet's and PineMartin's interesting in the past.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 2:33 pm 

frozentripper wrote:

Any recs on bushcraft vids? I've found Joe Robinet's and PineMartin's interesting in the past.

You can find pretty much all of Ray Mears' programs on YouTube, too. His Northern Wilderness series is especially great because it takes place all across Canada.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: January 15th, 2016, 9:54 pm 

I have been watching some videos from NativeSurvival, and think they're pretty good. He seems to be based out of the NE U.S.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 8:22 am 

Sam82 wrote:
Not knocking your post frozen, I'll check out the video. I just think there are too many goofballs carrying a camera around in the bush now pretending they are survival experts. I think she falls into the "vlogging" category more then anything.

Hit it right on the nail Sam ...... ehehe

Anything I ever wanted to know about living in a very small community or way out in wilderness I often asked the old timers that live in the area .
Most of these people have lived through 2 wars while making their home base in the middle of nowhere in Northen Ontario , they'll talk your ear off with all the info

At the various Legions in Northern Ontario there's a wealth of information available ....... unmatched on the internet :D

Through local historians who write small articles in the papers I learned about some people considered the gurus of some very useful info

On my way south I often visit the RC Legion in Dunchurch where among others I met a gentleman who ran his own sawmill since his father before him and I spent a lot of time learning all about various saws used in the bush and how to use and sharpen them , some of these are 5 feet long

I also learned a million particulars about all the various trees in our Boreal forests and cutting/logging them while helping out at the hundred year old tractor belt driven sawmill in one summer

I could have spent years searching the net and still learned about 1% :wink:

Cheers ..... Vin

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 9:24 am 

Vinman, I don't see what this has to do with trying a sourdough recipe over an open fire, but since you brought it up here are some real gems I picked up from some of the oldtimers in this area... I am not making this up.

... winter fishing is always poor because fish dive down into the mud and they stay in the mud until the water warms up.

... a growed man seen paddling a canoe is shameful, he should have the sense to use a motor.

... seeing the northern lights at night means the weather is about to change.

... you need get someone to witch a vein of water in the ground before you can drill a well, otherwise the well won't produce.

Anyway, I'm off to the legion to start the weekend early... j/k

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 10:59 am 

I'm glad that you've also hung out with some old timers who pointed out some great tips :D

Invaluable info vs city dwelling survivalists who bake in the Austrian wilderness on weekends .

No biggie since I've met quite a few old timers at the Legion who never changed a flat tire in their life .... ehehe

I apologize for threading in your post trying to bust the Survival Lily myth

Cheers ....... Vin

PostPosted: August 17th, 2016, 2:33 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
I used to be subscribed to her channel but have lost interest in it completely. I don't think she is much of a survival expert and her only unique aspect is she is a girl...which there are not many survival type girls on YouTube...otherwise her videos are pretty boring.

That's funny... I don't recall her ever once claiming to be an expert.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2017, 5:44 pm 

Pretty sure she is in Austria - that was in one of her videos somewhere. I watched a few of them.