It is currently November 13th, 2019, 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 1st, 2016, 5:59 am 

I found royalex. Good to go. Thanks for the responses.

Rob

PostPosted: March 12th, 2016, 10:55 am 

Ignore this one - found what I was looking for and I can't figure out how to delete a post.

Rob

PostPosted: March 16th, 2016, 8:57 pm 

What should we expect as far as water quality on the Wind and the Peel down to Taco Bar? Silty? Need to treat the water?

Rob

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 9:19 am 

Yes. High sand banks always slough off and you will see many animals that can poop in the river. Grizzly tracks will probably adorn your campsites

Glacial runoff is just chock full of silt. You will need to prefilter; maybe use alum

The Peel is brown and murky.

I did the Snake 20 years ago. To McDonald Glacier it was clear...after that was chock full of silt but still blue. Try to filter from side streams, some may be clear

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 9:18 am 

Ever use Alum Powder? Is it a good solution for silty water? Clarify with Alum and then treat?

I have talked to some who paddle the area regularly who drink the water straight out of the river above Taco Bar without any treatment.

We will probably just be prepared for whatever we encounter. It probably varies depending on the circumstances at any given time.

Glad to hear we will be seeing poop producing mammals!

Rob

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 9:34 am 

Kind of depends on if you like gritty teeth! I treat all water that has any chance of having any poop in it. Its very little time.

alum may not work well in cold water. We do use it sometimes in the West. Its not a purifying agent

http://www.stupidguidetricks.com/Cookin ... /alum.html

On the Snake we had zero campsites without grizzly tracks. We saw many grizzly and a few barren land caribou.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 9:36 am 

I don't know about the Peel specifically, but on the Yukon River after you get below the Teslin, and especially where the White River (aptly named) enters the Yukon, It is impossible to see even a millimeter into the water. In fact, you can hear the silt on the bottom of the canoe while paddling. It sounds just like someone is rubbing sandpaper on the boat, or the hiss of a mis-tuned AM radio.

We pre-filter using muslin cloth, then add a chemical flocculant and disinfectant to make the water drinkable after several inches of sludge settles to the bottom of a bucket. How fish survive in that water I'll never know.

I've had great success with pre-measured chemical packets that settles silt and disinfects in one step. I carried alum as a backup, but didn't use it. Find the P&G chemical packets here:
https://dayoneresponse.com/product/pg-packets-12-pack/

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 11:27 am 

Thanks for that. I just ordered some. Looks idiot proof which I definitely need!

Rob

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 1:32 pm 

"What should we expect as far as water quality on the Wind and the Peel down to Taco Bar" ?

rpg, have you ever looked at the dozen or so videos on You Tube?

the Wind seems to be crystal clear for most if not all of its length, and then the Peel gets murkier - probably depends on time of year and hoe recent the rainfall has been

just get on you tube and search for Wind River Yukon (without the yukon, you get the mountains in wyoming

PostPosted: March 18th, 2016, 1:35 pm 

I have seen all of those utubes and yes it does look that way. But there are conflicting reports out there.

Rob

PostPosted: July 17th, 2016, 10:01 am 

We just completed our Wind River Trip. It is a gorgeous river. Highly recommended. We encountered fairly high water which was no trouble except in the short stream down from McClusky Lake to the Wind. The stream was quite high with no eddies, lots of twists and turns and lots of sweepers around every bend. Hard to line because so much water and dense vegetation on banks. It was a bit of a struggle. If there is a way to walk in and avoid the stream in high water I would do that. Or, maybe carry a dry suit which would make it a lot easier to walk/line. Other than that the paddling was straight forward. Mostly just need to stay to inside of turns to avoid waves. Also a lot of channel picking in braids. None of it too difficult. There is fair amount of boiling type water currents in the canyon but not a big deal. A good brace solves the issue. The canyon on the Peel was gorgeous and turned out to be fairly tame. Lots of wasted stress and worry about the canyon. Thanks to you all for the help.

Rob

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 7:10 pm 

This is a link to some pictures of our trip:
http://www.lazenbyphoto.com/wind-river-yukon/

John Lazenby is a really good photographer from Montpelier Vermont who was in our group of 4. We joined up on day 2 with a delightful couple from Whitehorse who were paddling alone and really needed to have a group to keep safe. They are in some of the pics. They were excellent paddlers and wilderness travelers. They invited us to there home for a moose roast and beers when we got off the trIp. Also, our pilots, including a hot shi! lady busy pilot are in some of the pics. We really had a great trip. Might have been the best trip I've ever been on. The Peel River water shed is in danger of development and it needs to be protected. It is a spectacular area.

Rob

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 8:40 pm 

Great pictures! Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2016, 3:54 pm 

Looks like you had really great weather. Much of the time, all I could see of the mountains was the bottom 20% or so - didn't climb any, not much point since I couldn't of seen anything but thick clouds I had an 8 day stretch without having the sun shine, or even seeing the sun as anything but a dim globe seen through the clouds; the peel flooded; water at Taco Bar was up to the bushes, and the ferry at Fort McPherson was out of operation for 5 or 6 days due to the high water. If I were to do it again, I would definitely pick July over August.