It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canoe Purchase
PostPosted: February 29th, 2016, 3:20 pm 

Hello All

I live in B.C. I would like to buy a canoe ! It will be used for lakes /rivers. Any river trips would not be any real serious white water . The canoe would be used for camping trips and also fishing and hunting trips. I'm thinking a square stern so I could put a small out board on it if you wanted that option. As a newbie I would be looking for stability, not easy to tip. The canoe would be not too heavy as I may want to portage it . It will be used mainly with two adults that are each
5'10" tall. medium build. I have ruled out Aluminum.

I should also add what type of seating is best ?

Any information would help !
Thanks
Orion

Last edited by Orion on February 29th, 2016, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Canoe Purchase
PostPosted: February 29th, 2016, 4:00 pm 

This is likely to degenerate into a "Chevy/Ford" type of discussion because you have lots of choice. However, I can't resist commenting.

"Tippy." I would forget about this for a start. Commercially available tripping canoes are inherently stable. You might have to learn how to get in and out (a short one-day course would include this and lots more.) The problem with trying to buy something that isn't "tippy" is that you could get sold a flat bottom barge which would be horrible to paddle and heavy to portage,

Motor. Unless the primary purpose of the boat is to haul freight on big lakes, I wouldn't go for a square stern. The hull is optimized for a motor and will be harder to paddle than an alternative. If you insist on square stern, Esquif made a number of models. However, they were all Royalex and may be hard to find until the restart production using their new material.

So. . . since you live in the West I would suggest you look at Clipper Canoes. I've paddled a couple models when I've been visiting and find them to be easy to paddle, very stable, fast and light. They make a clamp-on motor mount for their boats. I would rather learn how to manage a fast, light boat and bolt on a motor mount if I was only occasionally going to use a motor.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2016, 4:07 pm 

Peter K. wrote:
This is likely to degenerate into a "Chevy/Ford" type of discussion because you have lots of choice. However, I can't resist commenting.

"Tippy." I would forget about this for a start. Commercially available tripping canoes are inherently stable. You might have to learn how to get in and out (a short one-day course would include this and lots more.) The problem with trying to buy something that isn't "tippy" is that you could get sold a flat bottom barge which would be horrible to paddle and heavy to portage,

Motor. Unless the primary purpose of the boat is to haul freight on big lakes, I wouldn't go for a square stern. The hull is optimized for a motor and will be harder to paddle than an alternative. If you insist on square stern, Esquif made a number of models. However, they were all Royalex and may be hard to find until the restart production using their new material.

So. . . since you live in the West I would suggest you look at Clipper Canoes. I've paddled a couple models when I've been visiting and find them to be easy to paddle, very stable, fast and light. They make a clamp-on motor mount for their boats. I would rather learn how to manage a fast, light boat and bolt on a motor mount if I was only occasionally going to use a motor.

Hello Peter
Ok Thanks
I'm familiar with Clipper canoes. What length would you go with, how tall the two adults are ? Do you take that into account when buying sizing a canoe ?
I'm mean you need leg room right ? In case you plan on kneeling the whole time. I think I may add some more information to my OP
Thanks
Orion

PostPosted: February 29th, 2016, 4:52 pm 

Height of paddlers is generally not a critical factor. Most people will sit when paddling on lakes or in gentle current and tandem boats are configured to give you leg room while sitting. Weight is more important -- not so much for the paddlers, but the total weight of your intended loads.

I would go with a 16' 6" boat as I find these are generally big enough to carry two people and lots of gear and have plenty of freeboard if you are in waves. I wouldn't go smaller than 16' unless I had only short day trips in mind and no larger than 17' (which you would only need for long trips or hauling out a moose).

PostPosted: March 21st, 2016, 8:52 pm 

Hi All

So I'm thinking the Clipper Cascade model might be the way to go for what I listed above . Please feel free to add your thoughts. Looking forward to replies !
Thanks
Orion

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2016, 1:34 pm 

Hi Orion,

Where are you? Have you checked a local canoe club? They may offer spring lessons, members would be happy to talk boats with you, and you could see and try a variety of their boats, and members often have boats to sell.

Keeping in mind that you're asking canoe snobs, I too would stay away from a square stern, unless you need a work boat more than you need a pleasure canoe. One reason for this is that it wouldn't tend to be light.

I also agree with the 16-17' range, but that describes a lot of canoes! Sticking with a good brand name and a popular model is generally an easy way to know to your getting a reasonable mix of stability and other qualities. If you want light over durable-for-whitewater, then you'd probably look to look to some sort of composite boat.

Good luck! If you're in Vancouver, check out the Beaver Canoe Club, and if your persistent on Craigslist you can probably find a decent used canoe.

Cheers, Pat.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2016, 1:54 pm 

Assuming you might be in Vancouver, here is the link for the canoe club, including lessons and classifieds:

http://beavercanoeclub.org/

Pat.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2016, 2:29 pm 

Cascade or Rangers would fit your bill for "paddle only" canoe. Heavy but dependable and decent designs.

If you want to get a motor then get a square stern for sure. Side mounts for motors are crap.
Mac Sport would fit this bill first then the Clipper Frontiersman next.
Sportspal as a lighter but less durable design.

I would recommend looking for used and be ready to buy. You can always sell the boat for what you paid when you know exactly what you want.
Any Clipper in good shape for less than $1000 is a good deal.

I'm a tractor seat fan. Bench seats are OK too. For me it depends what I'm doing.
I can kneel in all of my tractor seat boats as well.

Good luck and don't forget your comfy PFD.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2016, 8:40 pm 

yarnellboat wrote:
Hi Orion,

Where are you? Have you checked a local canoe club? They may offer spring lessons, members would be happy to talk boats with you, and you could see and try a variety of their boats, and members often have boats to sell.

Keeping in mind that you're asking canoe snobs, I too would stay away from a square stern, unless you need a work boat more than you need a pleasure canoe. One reason for this is that it wouldn't tend to be light.

I also agree with the 16-17' range, but that describes a lot of canoes! Sticking with a good brand name and a popular model is generally an easy way to know to your getting a reasonable mix of stability and other qualities. If you want light over durable-for-whitewater, then you'd probably look to look to some sort of composite boat.

Good luck! If you're in Vancouver, check out the Beaver Canoe Club, and if your persistent on Craigslist you can probably find a decent used canoe.

Cheers, Pat.

Thank you Pat

I live in Burnaby Thanks for the link to the canoe club !
I think I emailed them about lessons but did not get a reply . I will try again !
Thanks
Orion

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2016, 8:47 pm 

Canoeheadted wrote:
Cascade or Rangers would fit your bill for "paddle only" canoe. Heavy but dependable and decent designs.

If you want to get a motor then get a square stern for sure. Side mounts for motors are crap.
Mac Sport would fit this bill first then the Clipper Frontiersman next.
Sportspal as a lighter but less durable design.

I would recommend looking for used and be ready to buy. You can always sell the boat for what you paid when you know exactly what you want.
Any Clipper in good shape for less than $1000 is a good deal.

I'm a tractor seat fan. Bench seats are OK too. For me it depends what I'm doing.
I can kneel in all of my tractor seat boats as well.

Good luck and don't forget your comfy PFD.

Hi Canoeheadetd

Like the idea of tractor seats as well ! Have missed out on a couple of nice used Cascades at a great price but they are sold as soon as they come up on Craigslist or Kijiji ! As far as square stern the Macsport seemed like a nice craft for say a 3 horse gas motor ,but if not using a motor with say the 15 foot MacSport model how is it for just paddeling ? Is it awkward ?
Thanks
Orion

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2016, 9:02 pm 

I've owned the 18' Mac Sport and it was great for paddling. Maybe because there wasn't much of the hull in the water. Even with a load it was very efficient.

The 15' looks like it would be very slow. A lot more hull in the water even without a load.

If you're anywhere near Western Canoe and Kayak you should test paddle these things.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2016, 10:55 am 

Re: training with the club...

Here's the page specific to the upcoming "Basic Paddlers" course at Deer Lake, it says to register for the club 1st ($25), and then to register for the course after April 1st:

http://beavercanoeclub.org/training/basic-paddlers/

Hope they are helpful to you, it would be a good opportunity to look at lots of different canoes, I think that course typically gets a pretty good turnout.

Pat.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2016, 1:16 am 

Orion in Burnaby, BC...

Seems to be a few decent options on Craigslist now.

P.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 9:23 pm 

Hello All
What can you tell me about an Old Town Discovery 169 ? Would that fit the bill for what we are after. Signed up for a canoe lesson .
Thanks
Orion

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 10:09 pm 

@ 91 lbs. you won't want to carry that Old Town too far.