It is currently December 3rd, 2020, 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black River to Long lake
PostPosted: May 31st, 2016, 7:19 pm 

On May 27 master bushcrasher Jeff (aka "Waterhunter") and I did a day paddle in the Long Lake area. The first question CCR folks will have is "How was the road?". We traveled in WH's sedan and made it OK, albeit slowly. It took us about 20-25 min from the end of Carylon to the first Black River crossing. If we went faster we(or at least I) would have gotten seasick from jostling over the potholes. Apart from that, there was just 1 steep dip at a washout where a beaver pond had spilled over the road in spring.

The attached link shows our route. We traveled CCW. The deer flies were out in fair numbers and it was quite hot, so we headed for the bigger water bodies---Long and the Eastern Lakes where we could get a breeze. A highlight was seeing the cow moose with twin calves on the second beaver pond. There were good water levels in the ponds leading into Long. We made a left turn into the bay at about 620500 as shown on the map. From there it was just 1 'dragthru' and 1 liftover into Eastern. From Lower Eastern back to the road was a bit of a different story, where the water levels in the ponds was quite low . They were still quite 'paddleable'---It's just that we had to follow the meandering paths that the beavers had made. The were also a couple of quite rough portages as we followed that branch of the Black out to the road.

I love the landscape in that area but it's not quite as pristine as it might look from the pix, which is not surprising given its proximity to major population centers. . Apparently the area is quite popular with ATVers---there are tracks here and there. We saw the usual signs of 'civilization'---y'know: empty beer cans, various bits of plastic. (I'm not saying that was from ATVers. Some canoeists are real slobs too).There are a couple of fly-in bass fishing cabins in the area

All in all a great day out. (And we did manage to avoid the flies for most of the trip)

http://caltopo.com/m/F6V0

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130051949 ... 6583992464

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 7:45 am 

152 views and not 1 comment. Hmmmm.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 9:30 am 

Don't be too surprised... $15 billion is being spent on the Rio Olympics and my post didn't get any replies either.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 9:44 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

You're lucky, wotrock. When we did a day trip trying to get to Long Lake, we ended up paddling around some creeks instead. We found a discarded dishwashing machine, and a whole bunch of orange road cones....all dumped in the water.

Wotty, I'm breaking my own rule and sending you a pm.

Barbara

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 10:02 am 

Barbara wrote:
You're lucky, wotrock.
Barbara

The whole secret is contained in the first sentence!! :lol:

Unable to respond to your PM