It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alone show
PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 8:29 pm 

Anyone watching this season of alone? Seems like the people most physically able to survive can't take it mentally. And the people than can do it mentally can't physically do it.

Post subject: Re: Alone show
PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 9:40 pm 

Love the show. Its the best thing on TV in years. I don't understand why they don't have more Canadians on it though.

It seems more mental than physical

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 10:01 pm 

Ya I wonder if it's just aired in Canada or states too. I like all the quotes or stats in the show. Like the 9/10 bear attacks are to solo people in the bush. Read that one right as I was planning my first solo…

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 10:20 pm 

I've done a ton of solo tripping. It's actually my favourite way to travel. By far the biggest challenge for the solo tripper is psychological. I'm a lightweight guy, and have done 30-day trips while triple carrying 70-80 portages. Definitely tough, but really a matter of routine and pacing oneself. The mental challenge is certainly the big one, and the reason why some folks, after doing their first solo, will never do another.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 7:27 am 

I don't view soloing as anything horrid nor punishing. You go as far as you want to and for as long as you want to.

I can't approach Mikes trips but at 70 I still can solo! Been doing it 21 years.

For me it is nothing like what you see on TV and for that reason I seldom watch those. I take my creature comforts.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 9:53 am 

I think if the show had them travelling (like Les S) they would do a lot better. The fact that they are isolated in one location and have no real objective is where the physiological problems develop - it is very interesting to see how the different people deal with that. I think it begins to answer the question how different people in similar situations can do quite differently. One may just sit in the situation and not do anything and die after a few hours while another person may last days or weeks. It makes no difference what resources you have
I also like seeing them put their survival skills to use - many different approaches; especially for shelters.

I know I couldn't do it for as long as they've been going. Not because of the lack of skills or the physical like you said but because of the lack of a goal to keep the mind stimulated.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 11:42 am 

I personally love the show.
I was up in Kiosk Algonquin last year and ran into Joe Robinet on a portage.
Apparently the first season was supposed to take place much earlier in the season. but the show ran into problems with permits or something.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 9:39 am 

I camp with Joe Robinet pretty regularly. He is a grounded guy. Also went on a 5d canoe trip to Killarney with Dustin from season 1 earlier this spring. Another really nice guy. Obviously, the show tends to amp things up with clever editing and somewhat misleading sequences of events, but the raw footage is all real and authentic. But that is a "reality show" for ya.

The circumstances for season one were pretty tough. Nobody had a clue as to what to expect on site, the sites varied tremondously from plot to plot in resource quality and it was late in season so food resources were quite limiting. Who can tell how any one of us would perform in such circumstances? Or even if the same person would react the same way given a second chance. One thing is for sure, the way that show is designed, you are going to push it until it gets too unpleasant to take anymore. Not exactly fun circumstances and nothing equivalent to a planned recreational trip. I like hearing stories from the guys but there is no way I'd ever consider doing something like that. Maybe I like gorp too much.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2017, 7:15 pm 

This season's Alone is now about half way through- in Patagonia.

Some people might be interested that there are three Canadians on the show, including one from Caledon.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2017, 8:02 pm 

First season winner said it best when he mumbled something like "if you dont like yourself, you'll never make it out here". I may be paraphrasing a bit but it was along those lines. I have heard that saying before but this exemplifies how complicated us humans really are.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2017, 9:38 pm 

Floats n boats said

Quote:
First season winner said it best when he mumbled something like "if you dont like yourself, you'll never make it out here"

That is what I have been saying to people for years about my solo trips!

It makes it easy...er easier... 8)

At least in harsher conditions

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 7:20 am 

The longest I spent alone during my 3 month cabin stay was maybe 6 weeks, but I had a dog with me so I don't think it compares to being completely alone. I have to admit - during that time and also while solo hunting or canoe-tripping, I never long for companionship. I'm pretty sure I would quickly develop a bond with the local fauna if I was alone for long though, and they would become my companions.
I've soloed since I was 12 years old so maybe I don't remember what it's like to be nervous or bored out there, but I believe it's something you get more comfortable with over time. It's not like I'm an introvert either - I'm happily married and have a wide circle of friends,, family and associates. That feeling of self reliance and confidence gained from solo outdoor experience translates to successful societal interactions as well. It's amazing how much less stressful other people are when you're prepared to temporarily retreat while they work out their own isssues. I highly recommend learning how to be content while alone.

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 9:29 am 

GF and I thoroughly enjoy Alone. Surprisingly she loves it more than I. I say surprisingly only because she loves camping but is overly concerned about bears. I guess it is the same mentality she has about plane trips. She is fascinated with plane crashes but is a wreck when on a plane. She has enjoyed the lack of bears on the other side of a poly tarp on Season 3. Definitely seems like the bigger challenge is the psycho-social aspect more than the physical challenges.

PS. Season 3 in Patagonia seems to be lasting longer in duration than the other 2. Proving once again CANADA IS HARDCORE!

PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 4:07 pm 

The weather in Patagonia seems better than on Vancouver Island. They dont seem to get much wind and they are better resourced with Boar and Fox and still being able to catch fish. This group too are pretty remarkable for both their mental and physical game and their ability to eat flora. And as for Canadians , we are well represented , you can even call Callie as one since she lives North (and east) of Victoria. Im betting a woman winds up winning it.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 9:42 am 

Unfortunately I've only been able to catch snatches of this series, but I like what I've seen. It's fascinating to see people's initial "game plans" of shelter, water, food. They vary significantly in design and application. eg Sod hut vs lean- to, snares vs hunting, fishing line vs weir, elaborate plans vs simple ones etc.