It is currently July 17th, 2019, 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Exped down mat leakage
PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 8:10 am 

Just returned from the Green R. Both my wife's and my Down mats leaked.
Hers went flat by morning and mine slowly deflated and had to be blown up in the middle of the night. I resorted to blowing up by mouth as I couldn't get it together to use the snorkel bag. :tsk:
Have yet to figure out the cause but looking to the Collective for fixes.
I did STFA but couldn't find anything.
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 8:18 am 

Contact Exped. They have excellent customer service.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 10:21 am 

If you have a 1st generation model, it may be leaking around the valve. They acknowledge that this is a design flaw....gave me a new one for the cost of shipping Contact them before mailing it to them....

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 1:44 pm 

I bought two exped mats from Mountain Equipment Co-op. After a few years, one started slowly deflating. Called MEC and was told to bring it to the store and they'd replace it. No questions, no hassles and I didn't have the receipt.... but I assume my purchase record was in their computer system with an MEC membership.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 6:58 pm 

so instead of going back to MEC, I used a spritzer bottle with a H2O and soap solution to figure out the leakage.
Both mats leak right at where the valve bodies are glued to the mat. I wonder if it's to do with working at the valve while inflating.
I used Sil Net to coat the areas and after 24h there is no leakage. I coated both sides of the valve area. Seam grip would work as would Barge's cement
Problem solved I hope.
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 11:22 am 

Good to hear about your patch.
I have to make the exact same repair today on our oldest mat.

It's wild how both of your mats failed at the exact same time.
Could they have been stored or transported in a manner that would have left the valve body under stress? (causing both to fail)

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 1:33 pm 

Canoeheadted wrote:
Good to hear about your patch.
I have to make the exact same repair today on our oldest mat.

It's wild how both of your mats failed at the exact same time.
Could they have been stored or transported in a manner that would have left the valve body under stress? (causing both to fail)

Mine is newer by perhaps a year.
Pretty sure both have had the same # of nights on them IE inflation/deflation cycles.
Both are stored roughly in the same way. Mine is a DM9 and it rolled from the end and put in the Snozzle stuff sack.
My wife's stays in a chair sleeve and is folded in 1/2, rolled, and put in a stuff sack. The only pressure on the valves would be while stuffed in a pack or a barrel.
Anyways I'll be sure sil net is in my repair kit.
Hugh

M.T.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 8:41 pm 

Again...pretty sure this is a design flaw. Mine was replaced with a brand new one for the cost of shipping....the valve wears away at the fabric because the valve has a triangular shape/sharp edges.

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: May 13th, 2015, 11:24 pm 

My mat began to leak exactly where Watersong indicated. Unfortunately, Exped refused to replace and told me to patch it. I repaired mine using McNetts Sil Net and Tenacious Tape as Hugh mentioned. Only a few pointed valve corners were leaking but I went ahead and did them all as it was apparent that they too would begin to leak soon.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 11:02 am 

It may be that the company now feels that the "warranty" on manufacturer defects has expired....I sent mine in perhaps 3-4 years ago.

You'd have to question them about it.

Dave

PostPosted: June 28th, 2015, 1:55 pm 

Hugh wrote:
Both are stored roughly in the same way. Mine is a DM9 and it rolled from the end and put in the Snozzle stuff sack.
My wife's stays in a chair sleeve and is folded in 1/2, rolled, and put in a stuff sack.
Hugh

Exped instructs their DownMats should be stored unrolled and with open valves in a dry, cool and dark place. The reason for keeping them unrolled is the retain the loft of the down as is the case with a down sleeping bag. The reason for keeping the valve open is, I assume, to ensure no dampness is trapped inside.

Personally, I use mine quite frequently even at home so I leave mine inflated but try to change the air regularly.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2016, 12:11 am 

My first down Exped came with a lifetime warranty. Within three months it leaked and was replaced with a duplicate only with a hand pump incorporated into the side instead of the valve. The new one came with a one year warranty. It's now going on seven years. Perhaps you purchased old stock with an amended warranty.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2016, 8:15 am 

bearburrito wrote:
My first down Exped came with a lifetime warranty. Within three months it leaked and was replaced with a duplicate only with a hand pump incorporated into the side instead of the valve. The new one came with a one year warranty. It's now going on seven years. Perhaps you purchased old stock with an amended warranty.

I don't think so. We have had some six Expeds through the door now.. All but one suffered blown baffles.

Between 2010 and 2015 we regularly sent in mats for replacement under warranty.. Last summer one blew again... ( and we never jumped on them.. Its like a gunshot when you roll over and a baffle blows). That was enough. Even though we were in Canada where sticker shock rules we bought a Sea To Summit at Ramakkos in Sudbury.. ( I like that store. It would have been too easy to dump a grand there)
Comfort Plus mat.. its got a different design and a two sides inflated independently. A blowout now would affect a much smaller area.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2016, 8:32 am 

I had a baffle blow on my down mat 9 in 2015. ExPed told me to send them the number next to the valve to see if was still in in warranty. I think it had to be under three years old. They said it was in warranty and sent me a new latest model. Also instructed me to destroy the old one. I noted the new model has no baffle ball in the deflate hole. Made me wonder if we damage them trying to push the air ojt past that ball??

PostPosted: November 24th, 2016, 12:37 pm 

We just had a baffle give on one that was just over 5 years. Not covered under warranty, but they did give me a 30% discount on a replacements. Still $$$$

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!