It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 29th, 2016, 12:03 am 

Hello. New to this website. I'm looking for recommendations for a 4-5 day canoe route on fresh water lakes and rivers. I prefer trips with portages and that are relatively remote. Ideally situated within a 12 hour drive from Vancouver. I'm a solo tripper (for what it's worth).

PostPosted: November 29th, 2016, 1:26 am 

What comes to mind to fit the bill.
Powell River Canoe route, Moose Valley (100mile), Bowron Lakes, and at 12hrs... our favourite Nanika Kidprice Canoe route (Houston).

PostPosted: November 29th, 2016, 5:57 pm 

Many thanks. Have done 2 of the 4. Will check out the details on Nanika Kidprice. Didn't know it existed. Looks to fit the bill!!

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 1:31 pm 

Similar question in an old thread where I threw some lakes on the Bonaparte Plateau into the mix:

viewtopic.php?t=13411&p=131585

Pat.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2016, 1:30 pm 

I would second on the Nanika Kidprice. It is possible to paddle the river to Morice Lake. As well the Bonaparte Plateau, though I have not done it. The Clearwater Azure might be a good fit. Though the two main lakes get some traffic, if you track up the river at the east end of Azure Lake, you get into country that doesn't see many people. I tracked upstream for several KM in 2011 and there was a good deal of bear sign, saw a mink swimming and my partner heard a wolf howl in the night(I was unfortunately sound asleep). I would also recommend Nazko Lakes. When I was there(about ten years ago) I saw no one and lots of wildlife.

Last edited by erich on January 4th, 2017, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 12:44 am 

Thanks all. Would you know a good outfitter (I typically rent the canoe) near Nanika Kidprice?

PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 12:51 am 

I will have to look at my notes. There is an outfitter(or used to be) in Smithers. There is also a dealer there that could be a source for rental or know who rents. Where are you coming from?

I checked my notes and Aquabatics in Smithers would be one source. A fellow there, Dylan, is very helpful. Also check with Back 40 in Houston. I don't know them, but they were listed in Laurel's book. If you are coming from further south in BC, there are outfitters in the Vancouver area and it might be easier to rent from one of them. Sometimes, the more out of the way outfitters will give you what they have available, such as a Disco 169 which would be a beast for the longer carries on the Nanika Kidprice. Unless, of course, you like climbing over steep hills with a canoe on your head. ;-)

PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 12:32 pm 

We have a 16' kevlar Clipper Prospector that we rent out for local trips.
$200.00 prepaid and you can have it for 5 days.

We also have a 14' solo Clipper Prospector that is available or a 16' Necky Narpa kayak w/rudder for another style of trip.

We live in Burns Lake and would require a large (prepaid) deposit to ensure the canoe comes home because this is a hobby for me, not a business.

PM me with your email and we can talk.
Thanks,
Ted

PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 10:34 pm 

Thanks Ted. Your Prospector would be ideal for the Nanika Kidprice. One day, we'll have to meet when I pass through. I've still got the Nanika River to Morice Lake on my list, but never found anyone who has done it. it looks doable from the falls and I know its been done.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2017, 9:41 am 

Man i love this website! Great source and great advice. Ted i will PM you.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 11:59 am 

I tried to rent a boat in Smithers this past summer - 75$/day plus tax! I suggest trying to take Ted up on his offer.
Ended borrowing from a friend of a friend.
Lots and lots of portaging on Kidprice route. Bring fishing rod. Enjoy the scenery!

rab

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 10:51 pm 

I lived out there in BC about 20 years ago. Originally from Ontario, I longed for some interior lakes that I could canoe (solo) and that would feel like home. I discovered the Main Lake Chain on Quadra Island. If you paddle in the shoulder season you'll have the place pretty much to yourself. The first lake in the chain has a few cottages on it, but after that it's really quiet.

The area may have changed since I was last there, but if it hasn't it's a nice tour.

Cheers!
Mike

www.mikemonaghan.ca