It is currently July 31st, 2021, 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 2:01 am 

Just wondering where the most northern put in I can start from to travel down to Campbellford and do it within 7 days.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wetfoot on 2002-10-30 02:15 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 7:15 am 

I think the headwater is Paudash Lake, south of Bancroft along hwy 28. You could access the Crowe River right at the hwy where it exits the lake. I've been wondering about a trip down to Chandos Lake on the Crowe but haven't been able to find any info about the river. If you do the trip, hope you post a trip report here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 1:16 pm 
3 of us did the "Rose Island" route in kayaks in late July of 2001. Put in at Chandos Lake Beach at Peterborough Cty. Rd 504, paddled about 2.5 hours on the Chandos Lake outlet (mostly meandering swamp, lots of beaver dams and downed trees). We were able to push over most with the kayaks, canoes would require many short portages.
The next 3.5 hours were on the Crowe River, our trip ending in Glen Alda. (6 hours paddling, only 15 mintes driving). There were also numerous downed trees across the Crowe, some above, some below. Some would be dangerous at high water levels.
There was only one real set of rapids, would be fun with some water in the river, when we went it wasn't deep enough to allow paddling the kayaks through.
From what I've seen, if I was going to paddle to Campbellford, I wouldn't put in above Glen Alda. There is a good put in spot at the bridge in Glen Alda and some parking too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2003, 10:49 am 

A little more info here, sounds like the trip can be started at Paudash lake, "hard and dangerous", sounds interesting:

<i>Crowe River can be accessed anywhere from the northern source, the Gut Conservation area, or at Troutling Bay, Tangamong Lake and followed to Crowe River. The full route is a hard two days journey. There are rapids, chutes, and waterfalls, all unmarked and some beyond safe navigation by even the most skilled. Long portages are necessary.</i>

http://www.marmora.info/canoeing.htm

I've emailed Crowe Valley Conservation Authority for any trip info. Anybody have more info? Anybody fish the river?

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2003, 4:59 pm 

Rick,

If you get any information from the CA please share it. I grew up in Bancroft and of late have wondered about canoeing the Crowe from Paudash Lake to Chandos Lake. As for fishing, I can remember my grandfather saying that during the spawning run, the walleye were so think at the top of the river that you could walk across on their backs. An exageration, no doubt, but a far cry from the fishing in Paudash today.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2003, 8:35 am 

A group of us have been talking about giving the Crowe a try as well. There are some pretty wild spots though and route desriptions seem to be lacking.

We saw one spot south of Mud Turtle where the river does a 90 degree bend while dropping a significant amount. Result is big rapids/falls that must be portaged. There was a portage marked with flagging tape visible on one bank but I don't know how well the take out was marked. I'd guess the portage was around 700-800m.

I've heard the fishing is supposed to be pretty good.

Markw

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2003, 1:37 pm 

Al and posters,

Here's the reply from the CVCA - I'll be send them the money to see what they've got on their map.

Rick

====================================

We have canoe route maps available to buy. For laminated and bound maps the cost is $10.00 + $3.00 shipping charge if not picked up. The unlamented ones are $4.00 + $1.00 shipping charge if applicable. These packages include a black and white watershed map, 6 canoe route maps. The sheets are 81/2" by 11". Unfortunately there are not any campgrounds in the Paudash area that we know of. There is Crowe Bridge Conservation Area which is located near Campbellford and right on the Crowe River. For pricing information please contact us. As for fish there are Pickerel, Pike and Bass. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us at the Crowe Valley Conservation Authority 8:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday at 613-472-3137.

Thanks
Amanda
Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2003, 9:44 pm 

I plan to canoe the Crowe this June from Tagamong down to Mud Turtle lake. I plan on bringing my son who is 14. Other than the portgage going from Tagamong to Whetstone is there any other portage or rapid or falls to be concerned with on the way to Mud Turtle? Just want to know what we are getting into. Also paddling back up the river to the launch is it a fast moving river too difficult to do the return trip? Any one fish in Mud Turtle before? Also has anyone done the side trip up to Copeway lake off Copeway Creek? I heard it is worth the trip. Wanted to know if there was a decent place to camp on Copeway seeing it is surrounded by crown land. Wanted to stay one night if a campsite was possible. Thanks for the Help. Buzz

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 9:48 am 

Someone mentioned that you can put in at Trouting Bay...Is it off Tangamong Lake Rd? And is the put in marked clearly on the road? I have been up the road once before, but I don't remember seeing anything. I goal is to fish Tangamong Lake, so any help as far as best way to get into the lake would be a great help.

Has is the river like on Crowe River if you are coming from the Gut???

Tks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 9:55 am 

Interesting... The Crowe is sorta in my area... I'd be interested in anything people find out. Lets keep this one alive if we can.

Post subject: Re: Crowe river
PostPosted: August 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm 

Has anyone paddled this river lately? I had heard that access to Tangamong was closed now?

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: August 21st, 2014, 9:01 pm 

Paddled regularly in the spring by the Kawartha white water Paddlers
http://www.kwpclub.ca/
They would know or be very interested in that.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 2:35 pm 

Any updates on the Crowe? Ran into some fellows from we Wildernes adventures of Ontario (www.waclub.ca) who say they are running it next weekend starting at The Gut Conservation Area. It is an annual 3 day paddle for them. I will send a message on the card given, but looking for as much info as I can. Want to make sure I am not going to make my newely deconstructed-reconstructed knee any worse than it is.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 5:06 pm 

Not sure what sections you are running but flows are still high right now.
This is what the WW people look at.
http://www.whitewaterontario.ca/rivers/ ... ory:Rivers
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 15th, 2017, 12:47 pm 

Thank you. After having a good look, i don't think my knee would be up to the portages :-?