It is currently July 24th, 2019, 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Garmin GPS Kaput???
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 5:31 pm 

Hi folks. I have had a prob with my Map78 before and got help from some of the good folks here on CCR. I ended up sending my unit to some place and Montreal and they replaced it with a refurb unit. I forget how much they charged for that. Prob 1/3 to 1/2 of a new one? I am hoping some of you can help me again.

Now the GPS is stuck on "loading waypoints, tracks and routes. I have left it on for 15 min or so and it's still stuck. Any ideas, or even better, fixes?

thx in advance

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Kaput???
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 5:51 pm 

Do you have a memory card installed? If so, replace it with a known good card, and/or erase and reformat the one you have

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 5:58 pm 

wotrock, kaput is a bit drastic! For sure a malfunction of some sort...I take it you have the device connected to your computer and you are uploading flies to your Garmin device?

Here is a thread from the Garmin forum where someone has a problem which sounds like yours. It may contain your answer. Good luck!

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sp ... owering-on

BTW- I also got a refurbed Garmin (the Oregon) from the Montreal company -

https://www.raytech.ca/en/services/repair_service.asp -

that does Garmin's warrantee coverage in Canada. The on/off rubber button cover had broken through! They replaced the entire device at a cost a little less than half of what i paid for the one that i sent to them.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 6:05 pm 

Try following the instructions here:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en ... 3361847401

I've never done a "master" or "factory" reset on a Garmin GPS but I've done it on other devices with success.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 9:30 am 

thx for the quick response, guys. It'll prob take me a while to try all the suggestions.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2017, 9:15 pm 

The 'master reset' seemed to work but some weird things happened. I seem to have a fully functioning GPS again---that's the main thing.

I tried it several times, letting the Gps sit for 10-15 mins each time. Nothing happened. I then assumed that I had hit a dead end----let the GPS sit for 1/2-1 hr while I looked at other options and did other things. When I glanced over at it , lo and behold, it was working.

My tracks and waypts did not get erased. I can see them listed when I plug it into my computer. When I press 'find tracks' it cannot find them, but when I press 'find all POI's" it does show them ----weird!! I can see the waypoints on the map when I zoom in but not when I press 'find waypts"---weird!

Anyway---thx for your help. It's working well enough for my purposes. If I really want the tracks to display I guess I will load them into Basecamp and then send them to the GPS.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 9:08 pm 

The saga continues! Recently my GPS went on the Fritz again several times. Sometimes it would start, sometimes not. Pressing the 2 buttons, then the 'on' button( i.e. a 'master reset') did not give the option of deleting waypoints, tracks etc. Sometimes when it started it would show the map but not lock on to the satellites.

Solution: I went on a GPS forum and it was suggested that I delete all files that I had added. I did this and the unit now works just fine. Whew!!