It is currently July 9th, 2020, 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 9:51 pm 

I'm looking for information on a route on the western side of Wabakimi. Has anyone by chance gone through this chain of lakes: Windfall-Snake-Dagger-Otterbluff-Granite? Windfall is approachable from the Allan Water on the western end of Brennan.

I've been up to Stump recently but haven't made it onto the Allan Water to Windfall and wondering about the condition of the portages.

Any info would be greatly appreciated to aid my research as I'm planning to go into this area again from Smye this upcoming season. Thanks.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 10:23 pm 

HnD - you probably already have Volume 3 of the Wabakimi Canoe Route Maps set but if you don't there are three pages that cover what you are looking for -

10. Redhead Lake to Brennan Lake via Nemo River
11. Snake Lake to Brennan Lake via Jeep Lake
12. Dagger Lake to Granite Lake via Otter Bluff Lake

The booklet was published in 2011. It has the usual detailed info on portages and campsites; it is quite likely that Wabakimi Project crews cleared the portages as they recorded the info on loction and length. Given the low level of use these portages have seen in the eight to ten years since they were done, I would expect them to be overgrown and needing a re-do!

Click on this link for the map info - http://www.wabakimi.org/maps/volumethree.shtml

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 7:39 pm 

Thanks true_north. I do have those maps and they are a great resource. I may be meeting another tandem up there to help get through some of those portages. Large toothy corona saws will be put to good use. I'm still hoping there may have been some intrepid traveler who has been through there. We'll see. Thanks again.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 6:47 pm 

HIghnDry wrote:
Quote:
I'm still hoping there may have been some intrepid traveler who has been through there.
Wildwaters Canoe Outfitters & EcoLodge recently acquired the remote tourism outpost establishment on Windfall Lake. They may be able to provide you with an update of the condition of the route upstream from Brennan Lake to Snake Lake to complement the exploration, rehabilitation and documentation (i.e., mapping) of the route by volunteers of The Wabakimi Project.

http://wabakimi.com/outposts/fly-in-out ... fall-lake/

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 8:27 pm 

Thanks Voyageur. I've met those folks and will get in touch with them. I'll probably see them in Madison, WI (stateside) in March. I'll stopy by your table and say hi to your crew.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2020, 11:33 am 

Updating my previous posts: I never made it all the way into Brennan or even Windfall. Events and timing conspired against me and I had to cut short my journey around Stump lake. I figured I was done with the west side of this vast park but then as things go, someone mentioned Wabakimi and going into the park from this seldom-traveled side and I'm planning on attempting it again, solo. I'm assembling some necessary equipment in case I have to fight my way through some portages. There were already some noticeable blow-downs and muddy sections on Flindt to Gault and some large diameter behemoths blocking the short portage from Gault into Stump. I'm not going to attempt clearing the latter! I'm going to get in touch again with Wildwater again to check status of the trails but if anyone has any recent intel, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Hopefully we will all be paddling this season sooner than later.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2020, 2:40 pm 

I'm slowly unearthing pieces of this route and relevant water/portage conditions. I located the following link from one of our ccr members that covers the portion of the route where the Allanwater meets Brennan and flows into Windfall. The trip report covers the section I'm interested from Windfall to Snake to Dagger which is immensely helpful.

https://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/allan ... pka-rivers

PostPosted: April 16th, 2020, 9:19 pm 

Sassenach might be a plausible entry, located at Km59 and just a bit north of the Smye entry.