It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 5:22 pm 

Erica M wrote:
Great report and accompanying photos!

We did the Bloodvein from Wallace a few years ago (via the Three Mothers portages), so it was nice to see some familiar scenery - I think we even camped at the same spot on Craven Lake. If you are ever back up at Artery Lake, make sure to visit the pictographs - they are incredible. We really enjoyed paddling around the lake admiring the art.

I was also happy to see you make it up the Broadleaf - we were there later in the summer and had to turn around not too far out of Leaf Lake due to there being no water at all in the river!

I saw the pictos on Artery on my 2015 trip. In hindsight I would have liked to spent one more day on Artery and paddled around it, especially the north end. Next time. :-) I think I got lucky on the Broadleaf. On my way in it was very shallow in spots and I had to push myself in a couple of spots. I was not looking forward to it on the return trip. However the beaver had built a new dam in the 9 days since I went in. It made the trip out easy. Had they not dammed it up I think I would have been in for a real slog as there was no significant rain during that period.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 9:46 pm 

Very nice. You did a great job on the description and on the pics. Thanks.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 10:38 pm 

hobbydog wrote:
Marten wrote:
I would encourage you to enter this as a trip report here on CCR. In the past I have written my report in ms word and inserted the pictures. I then selected "compress all pictures" after which I saved the report as a PDF file. I then uploaded the pdf as other information in the report. Nice to have this info here for the distant future without links disappearing.

Yes, that was easy enough to do but it won't allow me to upload a PDF or MHT file format.

All the way to the bottom you will see " Other relevant files" and shows the file types accepted. PDF is in the list.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 10:51 pm 

Marten wrote:
hobbydog wrote:
Marten wrote:
I would encourage you to enter this as a trip report here on CCR. In the past I have written my report in ms word and inserted the pictures. I then selected "compress all pictures" after which I saved the report as a PDF file. I then uploaded the pdf as other information in the report. Nice to have this info here for the distant future without links disappearing.

Yes, that was easy enough to do but it won't allow me to upload a PDF or MHT file format.

All the way to the bottom you will see " Other relevant files" and shows the file types accepted. PDF is in the list.

I tried it but got a message saying pdf files were not allowed.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 6:43 pm 

I have done a fair bit of paddling in WCPP, each time beginning with a fly-in. How is the road to Wallce Lake? I drive a Toyota Matrix.

Great report, and nice job on the photos as well.

Cheers,
Mike

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 6:59 pm 

Mike, we drove in to Wallace in July in a Mazda 3. The road was good. Gravel. I believe it's usually well maintained in the summer. There's a campground and some RV's on Wallace. Quiet when we passed through.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 8:13 pm 

canoeguitar wrote:
I have done a fair bit of paddling in WCPP, each time beginning with a fly-in. How is the road to Wallce Lake? I drive a Toyota Matrix.

Great report, and nice job on the photos as well.

Cheers,
Mike

It is much better road taking 304 up the east side of Lake Winnipeg going though Bissett than up through Bird River and Nopiming. It is maybe a bit longer though. In 2016 I ran into about 100 meters of road where the water was about 15-25 cm deep after a good rain south of Beresford Lake. The Nopiming side is more scenic though and several places to camp in Nopiming.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2018, 8:37 am 

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: January 31st, 2018, 4:41 pm 

Excellent TR - thanks for sharing! I've camped on that sand beach on Aikens before, and I've also been wind bound on that lake before, after almost drowning trying to cross in large waves. Carlson Falls is always spectacular.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 7:39 pm 

It's a great trip report hobbydog. Good to meet you as well this winter down here in the Twin Cities. Has there been any updates on the way out of Wallace via the Wanipigow to Siderock? Has that been cleared?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 9:57 pm 

You mentioned the Twin Cities—do you know about the Far North Canoe Symposium?

PostPosted: March 25th, 2018, 8:40 am 

HighnDry wrote:
It's a great trip report hobbydog. Good to meet you as well this winter down here in the Twin Cities. Has there been any updates on the way out of Wallace via the Wanipigow to Siderock? Has that been cleared?

Our planned May long weekend trip will be to Siderock and then check out that end and see the fire damage so perhaps we can give a report after.

Karin

PostPosted: March 26th, 2018, 8:13 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
You mentioned the Twin Cities—do you know about the Far North Canoe Symposium?

Yes, sure do. It was the past weekend but I was out fly-fishing. Lot of folks from this area go to it though. I'll just have to try and make it next year.