It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: speeding up this site
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 7:17 pm 

Hi folks,

Just a question for the site admins about the possibility of speeding up the site. Sometimes it loads quickly but not often. On average it is a 5 to 10 second load time but often it is 20 to 30 seconds which is pretty brutal.

I'm curious what the cost would be to move to the next level on the server side and whether or not there was any interest in that.

Something I've seen done with another hobby of mine is that there is an open call for donations towards the server fund. Donations and expenses are tracked in a public google spread sheet that can be viewed by anyone. Generally speaking with an active community like this one it should be easy to cover the cost of a snappier server just by way of informal donations.

Anyway, just a thought.

thanks.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 8:18 pm 

Is that recent?

If it is then the culprit is probably the new the Google Ad service.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 8:28 pm 

Well I've only been here about a year or so and I've always found it pretty slow.

But maybe I need to start clocking it more. And I work in high tech for a company that does web design, so my standards are pretty high :-)

In general I suppose google ads especially if it will help pay for boosting the speed of the site. And google ads can slow down a site load but it is rare.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 8:44 pm 

I Don't recall when it happened but at some point fairly recently the site switched from static ads to Google (possibly with something in between).

It's "infested" so many sites these days, the number of different sources needing to be loaded to service up all those ads and track user actions.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 8:30 am 

In general I am in favour of ads I do not even use an ad blocker in my browser because basically there is no such thing as a free ride. We had this discussion at work on Friday in fact and my coworkers were surprised to find out I did not use one.

The alternative is basically as I described above - set up a server fund and take donations to support this site. It can definitely work - another hobby of mine does it very successfully and avoids ads by doing it.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 12:11 pm 

Try searching the web for forums loading slowly. I believe some OSs can have a glitch where sites with little data to load will load slowly because packet sizes are too large. Improperly stuffing bits I guess.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 12:49 pm 

Um, that does not make sense

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 12:51 pm 

Oh and I've gotten this message a half dozen times now in the last 2 days - site does not load and I just get a white page with :

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.
Apache/2.2.31 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.31 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips DAV/2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.myccr.com Port 80

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 12:53 pm 

I've noticed the website has slowed for me as well lately. Don't recall seeing this but yes, seeing 30 second load times.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 9:16 am 

I'm not seeing any performance issues.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 11:53 am 
CCR Site Administrator

There are some definitely some issues at the moment & our tech support is working on these issues. I am also not seeing any of our ads....which we need to pay for this site! We should have both Google ads & the ads from specific companies on the right side of our pages.

In addition, we already have a dedicated server...so that is not the issue.

Hopefully the site will soon be loading properly again.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 1:23 pm 

If you need help figuring out what is going on I'd be happy to help - I've been doing this for a dayjob for 25 years now. Running Linux/UNIX servers and figuring out performance issues.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 1:30 pm 

... and of course as soon as I said I wasn't seeing issues ....

Still not seeing 30 second delays but definitely 4-5 seconds. And no, I'm not seeing any of the ads loading now either.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 4:10 pm 

marscanoe wrote:
In addition, we already have a dedicated server...so that is not the issue.

It really depends on the specs of the server. Is it a physical server or a virtual machine? How much RAM and CPU does it have? For example I have my own VM on Amazon and while it suites my needs with only 1 CPU and 512MB RAM, it would do a really terrible job of running a PHPBB website.

Do you have someone who knows how to collect and analyze performance data to determine where the problem is?

Last edited by Prospector16 on March 5th, 2018, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 4:11 pm 

Ironically when I hit "submit" on that last post it gave me this initially:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@myccr.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.31 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.31 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips DAV/2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.myccr.com Port 80