It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 3:25 pm 

Hi there folks does anyone have info, maps or ideally GPS data to share for the Noire feeding into the Ottawa River?

There does not seem to be much out there from what I've found on google.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 5:07 pm 

Maps from Cartespleinair http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/cartes.html

Upper: http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/04/ ... ntTopo.pdf

Lower: http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/04/ ... c2012B.pdf

Coulonge - Noir Crossover: http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/04/ ... no2017.pdf

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 6:13 pm 

OK there is some usable information there - it will be a tough slog going through it but I'm up to the task :-)

A couple of those maps reference kilometer marks on the river - are those accepted standards or does it depend on who is doing the map? i.e. does it even make sense for me to reference those marks?

Any more info definitely welcomed but there is a starting point here at least.

These are the types of maps I'm hoping to improve upon :-) Once that information is transformed into data it will become a lot more useful to everyone.

Thanks for the start.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 7:22 pm 

Hap Wilson has a guide book that contains descriptions of the Noire, Coulonge, and Dumoine. He has trip lengths marked off as well as rapid descriptions and suggestions. I really like them.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 8:04 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
OK there is some usable information there - it will be a tough slog going through it but I'm up to the task :-)

A couple of those maps reference kilometer marks on the river - are those accepted standards or does it depend on who is doing the map? i.e. does it even make sense for me to reference those marks?

Any more info definitely welcomed but there is a starting point here at least.

These are the types of maps I'm hoping to improve upon :-) Once that information is transformed into data it will become a lot more useful to everyone.

Thanks for the start.

I used many of the cartepleinair maps over the years, I have always found them VERY accurate (maybe not 100% of course), most of the more recent ones are based on GPS tracks. If you contact Charles Leduc (email at the bottom of this page: http://www.cartespleinair.org/index.html) he might be able to provide some electronic data for the maps.

As far as the distances, that is critical information for most trippers, the markings on the cartpleinair maps either come from GPS tracks or maybe a few done old school with a map wheel on paper. I've gotten pretty good at estimating distances just from topo grid lines but I've been doing it for more than 30 years and I still have +/- variance from actual of 10 - 15%.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 9:26 pm 

OK on map 3 of 7 on this one there is the 195 km mark, and right next to it is the picture of the canoe and 195 km Dumoine. And the Dumoine branches off up to the right.

Are these 2 different 195 km points? 1 on the Noire and 1 on the Dumoine? That's one hell of a coincidence if it is. And if it is not, then 1 of the 2 marks is incorrect so how should I mark it?

http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/04/ ... ntTopo.pdf

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 9:41 pm 

the 195 in the oval is the river distance, the 195 with the canoe is an access point about 200m further along the road.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 9:49 pm 

What is "Pourvoirie"? Portage?

Google translate says it is "Outfitting" and it translates Portage to Portage :-)

Or is there a "Lake Forant Outfitters" up there?

EDIT: of course googling "Forant Lake Outfitters" answers my question!

http://www.ronhenryguideservice.com/

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:02 pm 

OK those maps only have km 105 to km 200.

Above 200 seems less important than below 200.

I could draw lines along the river and measure out 5km at a time to mark them off, but it would definitely not be accurate so I'm not sure if there would be a point to it. I tried 2 samples between the given marks and they measure about 5.2 km

I could follow the river down via satellite view and mark what looks like access points and refer back here to confirm with people who know the river.

Are there any other resources I can refer to do document the part below 105 km?

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:32 pm 

The second map I linked documents the section from 80km down the Ottawa, map 7 of the first set has the missing 20km section but it's not annotated.

The maps cover the commonly paddled sections, especially the lower part from km 85 down to km 25 where most paddlers take out.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:40 pm 

That one is zoomed out pretty fair - can't even get a decent look at where those 2 access points are.

I don't know French though I suppose I could try to run the text through google translate and see what I could make of it for descriptions.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:42 pm 

"zoomed out"? I have no idea what you are talking about........

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:49 pm 

Oh wait there is more map below the text!

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:50 pm 

Sorry stopped at the first map page - duh! The overview. Did not notice the 4 more pages of map with all the detail!

So now looking for this fellow's email address to ask permission to translate his map. I don't see it on that document or the site. Anyone?

I guess domain looking contact info.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:53 pm 

I told you before, the email link is at the bottom of the home page!