It is currently October 19th, 2019, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2018, 11:03 pm 

Voice pickup distance won't necessarily change with a better mic. The further you are from mic, the closer your audio level comes to the ambient noise (voice is 3dB down for every doubling of distance from mic).

I think the mic sounds good when you're close and you should stick with it. Try it out a few times. Looking forward to a trip report made with it.

As far as wind goes, keep the dead cat on even if it doesn't seem windy. If your video software allows, insert a roll-off around 60Hz (high pass). Most wind noise is quite a bit lower than anything you want in your video. If you can bring the rolloff point higher (100-140Hz) without affecting your program material, you might get rid of even more wind noise.

Your phone or video software may have 60Hz HPFs fixed already.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2018, 6:34 am 

Thanks for the tips Neil. Yes I think as it is this will be a big improvement for me. I will do a few more tests with exact distance measurements, but probably if I find the need to be too far away from the camera on a regular basis I will find myself a wireless mic. Right now I do have a good lav mic that has a 20 foot cable on it.

I currently don't do any preprocessing on my videos so I don't even know what a "rolloff" is ;-) But I'll look into it.