It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tent guy tightener.
PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 7:45 pm 

I got a bit tired of fiddling with the usual type (on left) esp under the adverse conds---bugs, wind, rain, threatening T-storm----the list goes on and on! :D I bought the type in the center somewhere along the way---at an outdoor store I guess. Today I made up a few like the 1 on the right of the pic. Quite easy to make from a piece of Al. flat bar. OK, so bring on the open water season

Attachment:
Tent G.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Re: Tent guy tightener.
PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 7:56 pm 

Dude! You need the taughtline hitch!

https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/tautline-hitch

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 5:54 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
Dude! You need the taughtline hitch!

Couldn't agree more, this knot is extremely useful in all kinds of situations. Easy to tie and works extremely well. I keep my swiss army knife on a lanyard that I clip to a belt or belt loop. The knife is on a taught line hitch that I can adjust in length so the knife doesn't rest at the bottom of my pant pocket. Very comfortable that way. Just one of many uses for this knot.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 6:05 am 

Another very useful variation for typing up tarps and hammocks is the Prusik knot.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 7:59 am 

Even better so it says :) https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/midshipmans-hitch

I like Grog's site partially because I like the name Grog...
http://www.animatedknots.com/

Yaaar shiver me timbers and all that.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 9:02 am 

That's all very well guys, but I can never remember the proper knot when i need it the most!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 1:01 pm 

There aren't that many knots ya need to know. Here's my list...

Essentials in order of priority...
Bow Line
Truckers Hitch
Half Hitch

Very useful...
Taught Line Hitch
Fisherman's Knot
Butterfly Knot
Square Knot
Sheet Bend
Prussic Knot

I use the essentials just about every outing and one or more of the useful knots come in very handy on most outings. There are more knots that are useful but I don't find much need for them.

The key is to invest the time to make tying the knots second nature and that doesn't take too long but pays all kinds of rewards down the road.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 8:15 pm 

I know you are trying to be helpful, Rolf, but that's far too many for me.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 8:46 pm 

Taught line hitch is very easy to do - just make it a few times. And also very hard to forget.

The next one I'd learn from Rolf's list is trucker's hitch. Though prussic is basically a variation of the taught line and also very easy to learn, and hard to forget once you do learn it.

I have one of the things like in your middle photo and I could never figure out how to use it :-)

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm 

The middle 1 is dead easy! I just didn't want to be bothered to look so I made my own version.

Yeah, I llearned the truckers' a few years ago---several times, actually---but kept forgetting how to do it. Have enough cam straps etc now that I don't bother with the hassle.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2018, 6:18 am 

wotrock wrote:
I know you are trying to be helpful, Rolf, but that's far too many for me.

There were only 3 "bread and butter" knots in my list. Most of the "useful" knots are variations on the bread and butter knots. Many of my trips have been two to five weeks long in remote places. You can't go to the hardware store and pick up stuff to fix a problem and the list of knots I posted can get you out of a tight situation. I visit with my mom in Midland fairly often, Wasaga beach isn't far away, be happy to connect with you and show you the "ropes" on the most useful knots.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2018, 12:34 pm 

One beauty of the Prussic is that you can leave them attached to wherever they're used, such as on tarp lines.
No need to remove, retie, remove...You can even buy them readymade, although a small hank of para will give you a nearly endless supply. Treat and tidy up the cut ends for a smoother result.
I replaced my tent tie outs with the reflective cord, and kept the supplied tighteners. Simple, but unnecessary little plastic doodads. But they work.
If you thought you knew and loved everything there is to know and love about the trucker's hitch, you probably haven't read this yet...https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=5278.0
I'm gonna cut and paste that thread onto a print out for the nights when I can't get to sleep. Ffffforget counting sheep, I'm gonna read all about the trucker's hi...zzzzz. But in defence of knot heads everywhere, I am acquiring a love of rope and knots. You can't know too many. Animated knots is a great place to revisit and refresh knot knowledge.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 4:53 pm 

Rolfs first three will get just about anything done. Little plastic stuff breaks, gets lost or ends up in the bottom of a bag never to be seen again.
Also good to have a couple extra carabiners around, amazing what a person can do with them.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 6:53 am 

This weekend I slept in a camping hammock for the first time, and used a taughtline hitch on both ends of the hammock to give me a secure adjustable knot. That gives you an idea of how well this knot works - I am 200 lbs.

https://imgur.com/a/zIrWeg4

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 2:45 pm 

We know the knots, but we heve moved to ultalight tarps, cordage, ropes and . rope is hard on your hands, so we are using these, which are quick and awesome!

http://www.dutchwaregear.com check out the tarp flyz, dutch hooks and wasps @ https://dutchwaregear.com/?s=Flyz&post_type=product
as well as the amsteel 7/64th. Our rope bag no longer takes up a tonne of space!