It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bug house / Tarp combos
PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 10:56 pm 

So I was tempted to jump in on sepandee's thread on Shelters to ask this question, but I didn't want to be accused of a netiquette violation (Dave, banned for two weeks for thread hijacking).

I have been very satisfied with my Chinook tarp, but I want a bug house, so I can expand my tripping season beyond August & September (which is when my wife is only interested in tripping because of the bugs). I haven't seen too many bug houses in my searches that I would consider suitable for canoe tripping. I don't have time to make my own custom shelter and many of the posts on this topic on the site aren't too recent (as in products become discontinued). I've seen the listing for Big Agnes Deep Creek Tarp that MEC has (not loving the new triple-green color scheme) and the bug house designed to fit exactly under it. It looks like it would be large enough to comfortably cook in (on a stove) and eat in. Can anyone tell me if they have one, have seen one or heard of someone who has one or better yet tell me of a good bug house that would fit under my Chinook tarp, so I don't have to buy a new one that fits.
Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 6:47 am 

Bombproof, no but I bought one of these on sale at half price a while back and it seems to do the job ... IF ... you are willing to put in the time to Tuck tape on a 16" lip of vapour barrier like I did. The bottom edge of the unit doesn't conform well at all to even the most slightly irregular terrain.

It weighs about 4lbs and seats 2 quad chairs comfortably in the 8' x 8' floor space. No longer available at Crappy Tire, but I see them come up pretty regularly on kijiji. Could be the answer to the under your Chinook shelter for $20.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/eagle ... 5158p.html

edit. just hung it from my fishing scale and with bag and mods it is 6.5lbs.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 7:09 am 

OSU - there are a couple of threads from a while ago on the Eureka No Bug Zone shelter which goes for about $150 - $175. It fits the bill and does the job. I added a spraying of permetrhin to the shelter as an additonal measure.

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 20&t=45764

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... er#p422199

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 11:58 am 

Yep, True North, I remember those threads. No doubt the Eureka is a great piece of gear, but the OP's ideal set-up was something he could deploy under his existing tarp ...

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 3:01 pm 

tell me of a good bug house that would fit under my Chinook tarp, so I don't have to buy a new one that fits

Whoops - make that double whoops, OSU! I should have read the entire post before responding and also check to see I have the name of the original poster corrrect before jumping in!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 4:07 pm 

I have a MEC Manta Tarp. It's an "OK" bug shelter that provides rain protection as well. Drawbacks are it's not freestanding. You can only stand in one section of it...I'm 5'8" and just am able to stand and only if I set it up right. It's really only good for one person. Two can eat dinner under it but it's cramped. The size is ideal for one adult and a dog or two.

I'm in search of a freestanding big/rain shelter that I can stand in, cook in, and fit all my junk.

Recped has had a couple bug/rain shelters that are freestanding and floor less. They were life savers while camped in buggy conditions in James Bay Lowlands. Heavy(ish) but worth it.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 10:19 pm 

Thanks OSU, good input and a heck of a lot less expensive than the BA version. You read my mind by adding in the weight. Thanks TN. Thanks Sam82

I guess I should do a better job of outlining specifically what I'm looking for. My post was a bit of a spur of the moment response to the other post I saw on shelters/tarps last night. I went back and searched again this morning and saw a few more options. I don't remember seeing the other options on the MEC site for bug houses but maybe that's selective memory. MEC and others sell self-supporting bug houses. The whole idea of a bug house is a bit of a compromise in my mind. I like to travel light and I don't like the idea of the extra weight let alone a second tent structure. You just can’t trip without a tarp and tarps can be shaped to deal with the horizontal rain storms.... and if it was horizontal rain I wouldn't be worrying about bugs. Therefore, a bug house that works with a tarp adds a few pounds but not the weight of another structure. I saw solutions the Eureka No-bug-zone. You say you like it. I was concerned about the shape and size. The walls are right at the end of the tarp so that didn't look like an idea solution when it's raining with a bit of wind. CCS tarps that recped has talked about in the past looks sturdy but not light. The Onsight mosquito shelter look light but don't really give you room to move around in for activities like cooking. The Mantis tarp looks cool but I’m 6’3” and prolonged hunching over is hard on the back. Thus I think the BA solutions looks like the best I've seen... for what I'm looking to solve. Obviously not the inexpensive route. I just realize that there is a whole lot more experience in this community than I have so welcoming any input.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 9:21 am 

We're VCS bug tarp/mesh users.
Look at the price and weight of the VCS16.

I'm 6'3" as well and always trip with my wife and two dogs.
The 16 is perfect for a non-cramped living space.

The 12VCS is reserved for when weight trumps comfort.

I will pay top dollar for a product that works well... I just need some proof first.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 11:24 am 

Cool, I hadn't found the VCS16 bug tarp/mesh on my searches.

Quote:
I will pay top dollar for a product that works well... I just need some proof first.

I so agree with that! You'd think that I grew in Missouri or something :-)

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 8:09 pm 

Have you seen Sea to Summit's Mosquito Box Net Double? I've been really happy with it over the past two years. Dimensions (l x w x h) are 5' 6" x 7' 2" x 5' 11" and weighs 673 g/23.7 oz.

I've used it with the Rab siltarp 1 (5' x 7'), MEC Scout Tarp (~9' x 7') and the MEC Guide Tarp (~12' x 9'). The MEC tarps are much bigger than the bug net, but the long (9') corner tie offs do not make it an issue. I prefer using the larger tarps as it limits the bug room's exposure to rain.

Two people can comfortably sit in the bug shelter. Standing is another matter if you're 6' or taller however.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 8:42 am 

thanks, another good suggestion. I think I put too much faith in Google to find me all the relevant items. I obviously missed a bunch.

Last edited by Dave_k on June 27th, 2018, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 9:34 am 

So happy to have the VCS 16 this coming weekend. Headed into HHWT and from what I've seen it will be just as required as the canoe. Hope my hammock bug net can handle the swarms.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2018, 8:15 am 

I saw the resurrection of the thread on the Mantis Tarp/bug shelter and that reminded me that I hadn't finished off this thread that I started this summer.

I splurged. I did end up buying a Big Agnes Deep Creek Tarp and Bug Shelter in the Medium size. MEC didn't have the large size available. I figured the medium size met my needs so I took the leap. The construction seems very solid. The setup was easy with the guy lines having the own storage pockets in the corners of the tarp. The bug house easily connected to the tarp. For the one trip that I brought it on I didn't bring along the poles that came with the tarp as I figured I wouldn't suffer from a shortage of trees and it was some much easier to pack without the poles. Lighter too. No regrets.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2018, 9:04 am 

I just use the one of the MEC mosquito netting set-ups made from Onsight. They have a few different sizes and shapes and have served me well thus far for the 10+ years I have used them. they are not free standing but can set up pretty much any way you need to. I just use a loop on my tarp or secondary ridge line to set it up underneath the tarp if needed. Range from $50 (4man) and under.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey