It is currently November 19th, 2019, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 14th, 2017, 5:19 pm 

Hi all,

I spent a few days paddling around the Achray access point in Algonquin back in September. We visited the natural waterslide at High Falls, the Barron Canyon, Ooze Lake and played some high stakes Animalopoly. I've got a trip report up on it now over at All of Algonquin.
[url]https://allofalgonquin.com/2017/10/11/the-barron-canyon-revisited/
[/url]

PostPosted: August 6th, 2018, 8:50 pm 

I just booked on a whim (and felt lucky to get it) for: Port 190 below Carcajou, Stratton, 2 nights on Brigham, 2 nights on Cork, and Stratton. We are all exhausted from dealing with elder care, and the other side of the "sandwich", and this trip is supposed to give us all a "restful break in scenic and beautiful area". One member of the party are worried about low water levels in Ooze or in the Cascade area, another about all the portaging between Stratton and Brigham, and the 3rd about spending 2 nights on Brigham (my thought was to arrive, next day go to the canyon, and return). I now they are all super stressed right now, (and half a sleep from all the sleepless nights we have recently had!!), so can anyone fill me in on whether or not I have made a mistake in any part of this booking? I need the truth now, so that I can either change my screw up or changed to the alternative-a-lot-closer-to-home route. Leaving soon, so many thanks

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 5:20 am 

The only part of that trip I wouldn’t love would be the two nights on Brigham. This is just personal preference, but I don’t think Brigham is all that nice. Good idea to use it as a base to explore the canyon, but if there were a spot open on opalescent I might try to push on there for the second night after exploring the canyon.

I can’t speak to current water levels in ooze or the cascades, but the last couple of years I’ve been through both much later in the season without any trouble.

It’s true that there are a few portages Between Stratton and Brigham, but none are particularly difficult (just watch your step between high falls and the cascades, that one is kind of ankle break-y). It depends on everyone’s experience and fitness level of course, but that’s not too difficult of a day at all in my opinion.

Hope this helps and have a great trip. That’s my favorite part of the park.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 12:57 pm 

Thanks, I appropriate that. It looks like a mucky lake, but couldn't get anything else- unless I go into the canyon. Have one in the group with bad knees, so cutting one more portage with gear out was a way to make the happier, although the other now say to heck with it- go into the canyon for 2 nights, and then out to Cork! Aurgh!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!