It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canoe pack liner
PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 6:34 am 

For many years I have used a method described by Bill Mason in one of his books. It is simply based on plastic bags, used by others in this thread, with the addition of a pair of thin nylon bags, inner and outer, which protect the plastic bags from abrasion and pointy things. I use the contractor bags sold at Home Depot. I use two or three plastic bags in each pack.

Each bag is sealed by first expelling as much air as possible, twisting the top, then folding over the resulting neck (called 'goose-necking'). This is held in place with two or three rubber bands that I cut from old bicycle tubes.

The system is watertight. I've wiped out several times in whitewater with bags sealed this way, and my equipment has always stayed dry (most importantly my down sleeping bags).

A bigger threat to equipment I find is bilge water in the canoe. Packs will lie in bilge water for hours at a time. Again, this system succeeds, although on occasion water will penetrate the first plastic bag. On really rainy days I'l throw some sticks into the bottom of the canoe to keep the bags elevated.

The pros of this system is that it is very cheap, light weight, durable, and watertight.

The con is that you will likely go mad sealing all the bags. It is a bit slow and can be exasperating when you forget to pack something after sealing.

A compromise that seems to works well is a Sealine, roll-top bag with a plastic bag inside for insurance. I've wiped out in whitewater with this system as well and my down jacket (in this case) stayed dry.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 11:39 am 

No reply from Ostrom, but Recreational Barrel Works confirmed that they still have Ostrom huge yellow liners in stock.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm 

Eddy Turn wrote:
No reply from Ostrom, but Recreational Barrel Works confirmed that they still have Ostrom huge yellow liners in stock.

awesome. thanks.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2017, 2:27 pm 

New Ways ... I own and use an Ostrom pack liner in a 110 l canoe pack ... works great, no complaints, everything is always dry.

Old Ways ... 45 years ago, I worked as an interior canoe ranger in Algonquin Park. In those days, we double-lined our Woods #1 packs with hd green garbage bags ... worked great, no complaints, everything was always dry ... a fraction of the cost, a fraction of the weight. The bags were kept 'shaped', by first sliding a cardboard box inside that matched the interior dimensions of the pack. Over a paddling season, the bags / box may have been replaced once.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2017, 6:23 pm 

Eddy Turn wrote:

FYI Ostrom has been out of business for several years. You have to search for stock elsewhere

They retired

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 1:37 pm 

I prefer the ostrom pack liner. I did a river trip in the spring of last year and on day one it rained ALL day. Between the canoe collecting rain and us getting in and out my gear was bone dry. I did have my gear in smaller dry bag as backup but no water made it past the Ostrom. Great product!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 10:01 pm 

Have you considered a construction grade/sized garbage bag?

Before I started using a waterproof pack, that is what I used.

They will not keep things dry if you immerse your pack but with some care in rolling the top, they are great for rain.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 2:18 am 

WWGOD? wrote:
Have you considered a construction grade/sized garbage bag?

Before I started using a waterproof pack, that is what I used.

They will not keep things dry if you immerse your pack but with some care in rolling the top, they are great for rain.

Ive been using the goose neck technique for years, good even on solid dunks when the neck is tucked in proper.
Bought a box of high end construction bags years back.. still good. Every portage is with a backpack picked to be comfortable, well padded, and with tons of loops and strap.. unlike "proper" portage packs.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 4:26 pm 

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2013/04/wa ... pert-tips/

how to gooseneck a contractors garbage bag

PostPosted: August 26th, 2018, 5:42 pm 

looking for a replacement liner for my Ostrom 120L pack. I know this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with good ideas for replacing the single bag?

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 7:23 am 

Ostrom pack liner and Duluth poly liner are still the best options AFAIK. Duluth liner is pretty rigid, I use the bottom part (cut to about 2' high) as an organizer to keep my small stuff dry and handy in heavy rains, when it might get flooded under the tarp. Another rectangular piece, approx 1 by 2' serves as a door mat for my tent or to put on campsite "bench" after soaking rain.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 7:52 am 

I thought Bill was out of business, but when I did a search I found this http://www.ostromoutdoors.com/ostrom-products.html, so I for sure call him to find out if he still has them!

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 8:57 am 

Pretty sure they are available at Recreational Barrel Works.

https://recreationalbarrelworks.com/pro ... ack-liner/

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 9:23 am 

open_side_up wrote:
Pretty sure they are available at Recreational Barrel Works.

https://recreationalbarrelworks.com/pro ... ack-liner/

I bought one from Andy a month or so ago -- they still had some left.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 3:06 pm 

The full line of Ostrom barrel harnesses now available at Recreational Barrel Works Also pack liners and barrel packs.

Ship to USA and Canada and there are vendors both sides of the border

https://recreationalbarrelworks.com/pro ... harnesses/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next