It is currently October 18th, 2019, 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 26th, 2018, 11:39 am 

Gilles likely can help you with the shuttle.
info@aventuraid.qc.ca

rab

PostPosted: August 26th, 2018, 11:35 pm 

the SEPEQ documentation says

CANOES RENTAL - EQUIPMENT - SHUTTLE SERVICE
Email: caroline@bilodeauinc.com Telephone: 418-274-2002

PostPosted: August 28th, 2018, 9:37 am 

Dave_k wrote:
So since no one responded to my question I figured that it was either a dumb question and everyone was ignoring me or no one knew. Thus I emailed the reserve and asked the question myself. It is allowed to paddle the river solo. Obviously not as safe as if paddled in a group but allowed. The park does require anyone paddling the river to sign a waiver.
Dave

Not a dumb question and I haven't been around much. That's interesting...but after being there I don't see it being reinforced accept if you shuttled through the park service. There is no one patrolling the river. The gate being open at the take out could be problematic but I'm sure you could take out elsewhere. Still working on a trip report. I would rather paddle this river with a partner just in case of a dump on a long rapid. That being said
I don't recall any "blind bends" in the river. The biggest danger is eddying out above the big chutes. You can do a small lift over on river right and avoid the eddying out in current. Ben eddied out but I did a lift over here. Otherwise I don't remember any "must make eddies". The larger drops can be approached slowly and with pretty obvious take outs.

I wouldn't hesitate to paddle the river at low levels...it's a fair size river.

Sam

PostPosted: August 28th, 2018, 12:05 pm 

Thanks for that Intel Sam.

My wife and I decided to paddle the Dumoine this year instead. Just got out this past Saturday. FYI started the trip from 10 mile lake with flows of 26. Super heavy rains the Tuesday night and it was flowing 56 when we left.

The Ashuapmushuan is still on my list. Hopefully next summer.

Dave

PostPosted: August 28th, 2018, 2:08 pm 

Hi Dave,
I was the guy running the Dumoine with my daughter, Charlotte. That boat on your head doesn't look like the one you had on the river last week.

rab

PostPosted: August 29th, 2018, 1:05 am 

RAB

Great to meet up with you in the digital realm. I suspect your last day paddling was nicer than ours but we weren't ready to go home when we last saw you. It was a nice site to to relax at.... though I did spend some time with a saw and built a bench for the fire pit from some blow down.

The profile picture is from last summers trip on the Missinaibi. It is a Starlight. We had ordered one for the trip from the Complete Paddler in Toronto but it wouldn't be ready in time so they let us take their Starlight demo boat. We received our red Starlight in September of last year. So this our first full season in our Starlight.

Dave

PS my wife and I are having a debate about how tall those standing waves on Red Pine and Examination were after last weeks rains. Thoughts?

PostPosted: August 29th, 2018, 5:50 am 

Ah, right, you did tell me that-I forgot.

I'd say 2.5-3 feet, at least the bigger ones. I thought the level was perfect for running the river. No rocks to contend with and the waves and holes weren't too big.
have a good one,
rab

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 1:08 pm 

We are planning on doing the Ashuapmushuan River in two weeks time. Oct 13-20.Late isn the season, yes. Shuttles booked, etc... and checking in on the water levels at:
http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/depot/histor ... 1901_Q.txt
The flow is now above 400. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that one would not want to paddle this river above 400. Has anyone paddled this river with that kind of flow? Our group is trying to weigh our options right now.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 11:20 am 

Hello Verdure,
we ran it twice : high and low...

I would go, specially if you are skilled for ww (class3 with gears) and read maps and river courses with respect ... (but :) it's your call at the end ;) )

The portage are always an option (well maintained) and will be , as some are mandatory ones.

Have a good trip. Paddle safely, and enjoy the fall's colors in this great place

David

PostPosted: October 1st, 2018, 12:22 am 

I recall at least one class 3 rapid that was long and I did not see a portage. Maybe two long class 3's with no portage. I wouldn't want to solo but in a skilled group sure!

PostPosted: February 1st, 2019, 8:59 am 

Hi, English is not my first language.
I am preparing a trip on the Normandin River for my family and friends for summer 2019.

1) For river trips down the Normandin and the Ashuapmushuan, you can get a shuttle service with the Bilodeau inc. organisation. It is probably a local outfitter. Tel: 418 274-2002; E-Mail: caroline@bilodeauinc.com

2) You can have English informations (change language in the "Menu") at: https://www.sepaq.com/rf/ash/

3) They provide a full PDF with the basic informations about logistic at: https://www.sepaq.com/dotAsset/1250765.pdf It is Still in french, ask for an English version. If many paddlers do ask, they will eventualy produce it.

Keep sharing informations.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 12:56 pm 

OK, a winter 2019 update for the thread.

The Asphuapmushuan River is my wife and I's Plan A for this August's trip. It will be just us in a tandem.

I was hoping I would see someone (nudge nudge) posting a new trip report on the river. The Youtube videos that folks have posted on the river give a descent idea of what you're in for but I wish there was a bit more intel as I like to be as prepared as possible. If anyone can point me to any other sources of info than what's already been posted in this thread I'd appreciate it.

Dave

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm 

A group of us are running it in july.................we'll let you know how it goes

Last edited by jimdiane on March 21st, 2019, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 7:30 am 

JimDiane

Great, I look forward to your updated intel when you return.

Dave

PostPosted: July 30th, 2019, 7:24 am 

OK, it is a week out from our 1st trip down the Ash, access Point #5 (crosses route 167) to #0 (Reserve office). Shuttle booked with Bilodeau. The hydrographic station is reporting the flow dropped below 200 cu. m/s yesterday. Any recent intel or advice about the river that anyone cares to offer up?