It is currently July 17th, 2019, 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kevlar canoe repair
PostPosted: December 13th, 2018, 12:54 pm 

I bought a “3rd hand” kevlar canoe in the fall and there are some repairs needed before next season. I’ve been reading the topic on this website and get a lot of helpful info. Since this is the first time I tried to do the repair I want to get some confirmations.

The boat is a 15.5’ kevlar canoe. Weight about 48LB. Because it’s been painted over from 1st owner and the 2nd owner didn’t know the brand or model of it. Can someone help me identify what’s the possible brand and model? The side profile of the canoe is quite unique. To me, it’s a bit like Champlain by Peterborough Canoe Company. Although Champlain is a wooden canoe.

I have put some photos in here,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3WY1PG29QbGQPZReA

Outside repair: There’s a couple of scratches that reveal the kevlar cloth under. I assume there’s a layer of gel coat at the outside of the kevlar. If yes, then I’ll use gel coat repair kits to do the job. The key part for me is to sand the surrounding area without touch kevlar cloth. Correct?

Inside repair: there are more cracks and peel-off inside the canoe. For that, the previous owner suggests just use Tremclad anti-rust paint from a hardware store. Does the inside of the canoe have a layer of gel coat too? Do I need to do gel coat repair or just simply use Tremclad?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Michael

Post subject: Re: Kevlar canoe repair
PostPosted: December 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm 

Your pictures are so close up that it's hard to tell what is external and what internal. However, I would never paint the interior of a boat. It will just scuff and look terrible in a season or two and doesn't add much protection to the boat (UV maybe).

The peeling and chips seem to be from the inside of the hull. It is hard to tell the extent of these from the photos, but if that is all there is I would sand back to sound material and fill with West System epoxy (which can be coloured if that matters).

Otherwise, nice boat!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2018, 3:09 pm 

You can paint the interior.
Sand first. Smooth out the imperfections. Remove any loose paint.
A Tremclad spray bomb works well.
Mask off any adjacent areas you wish to protect.
Sand lightly between coats of paint.
I too agree that it is a good looking boat.
Good luck with it.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2018, 4:44 pm 

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
I'll try epoxy for the inside of the hull since there are more patches inside.
on the outside, can I use the epoxy too. If yes, do I need to put a layer of gelcoat above epoxy?

Michael

PostPosted: December 13th, 2018, 5:03 pm 

The gel coat is also a two-part plastic, but coloured and will come up with a shinier surface than the West epoxy. (It may be epoxy too, but I'm not a chemist). So . . . if you use gel coat, you're done.

Nova Craft has videos for both interior hull and exterior gel coat repair on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQOA4ILZ9Cw) and sells kits on their website. With a black boat, colour match is going to be easy!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2018, 5:05 pm 

Thank you very much for your help Peter!