It is currently June 26th, 2019, 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 16th, 2018, 7:51 pm 

Hello,

I often read about dehydrated eggs, dehydrated butter and so on. I have yet to ever see such things for sale. Several years ago, our Costco stocked dehydrated hash browns. Alas, now that I've used them up, I cannot find them any more. I am tormented by internet references to a time not so long ago when Bulk Barn is said to have stocked things that I can no longer find there.

So - I am curious to hear of any Greater Toronto Area sources - in 2018 - that MyCCR members may know of for hard-to-find tripping ingredients. I am not looking for any particular ingredient. I am in the early stages of WCTW (winter canoe trip withdrawal) and therefore experimenting with different recipes at home, with an eye to 2019 trips. I have my 25+ year old crappy-yet-beloved dehydrator working overtime testing a few new things and replenishing stocks of tried and tested things. But I would love to know of sources where I could buy basic dried ingredients, especially ones (like eggs and butter) that are a bit tricky to do at home. Not looking for dehydrated meals; rather sources for basic ingredients that can expand my culinary repertoire in the bush.

Any tips about GTA sources would be welcome. I would also welcome tips about online sources that don't involve insane exchange rates and brokerage fees from the USA.

Thanks!

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 9:24 am 

I guess you realize that you don't need to dehydrate eggs to avoid spoilage. Weight is a differnt matter, of course.

I used to buy dehydrated pasta sauce from B Barn but can no longer find it----just saved a bit of effort on DIY.

Whole Grain Enterprises in Upper Scarberia has quite a variety of B Barn type of stuff.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 10:20 am 

Maybe here? Might help with what you're preparing, lots of reviews so sales are moving.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh= ... 1545059591

No clue with actual stores.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 11:34 am 

I've used the Hoosier Hills eggs, butter and milk and they all worked well. The eggs are very similar to the OvaEasy ones which have sort of a cult following. Certainly a big step up from the old-style powered eggs.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 3:38 pm 

We buy dehydrated eggs in bulk 50 - 200x at a time, much cheaper that way. Local supplier that provides to the baking trade is Bauly Foods. ‭(905) 677-9819‬. Box 59064, Westwood Mall RPO., Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L4T 4J1. Inexpensive and they work well.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm 

You can't really reasonably or safely home dehydrate raw eggs directly. I get my camping breakfast eggs by incorporating them into a kind of baked casserole with couscous and the like or with dry hash browns. There are many recipes for such if you look around. It will rehydrate in hot water easily in 15-20 minutes.

I buy frozen hash brown bricks from Aldi's or Walmart. They come in packages of 20 each. Easy to break up and dehydrate at home. Crunch up after drying. It rehydrates easily in about 5 minutes. Great to have with a package of prepared country gravy and a slice of spam or rehydrated seasoned ground beef.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2018, 3:41 pm 

I'm following this thread! I miss the potatoes Costco had a few years ago too. They're still available in Canada via Amazon.ca, but they're about twice the price (IIRC) that I paid at Costco a few years ago. I think I still have one box left.... These are (were) great because they rehydrate in the carton (with hot water), then are fried.

These are still probably an OK price (compared to other dried hashbrowns from MEC or whatever), but they were a great price at Costco.

Attachments:
temp potatoes.jpg
temp potatoes.jpg [ 29.25 KiB | Viewed 1278 times ]

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 6:24 am 

Thanks for the good ideas everyone, exactly what I was hoping for. Keep them coming! Hey Brad, those are the exact hash browns I got at Costco. I thought they were pretty good. If I ever see them again at a reasonable price I will definitely stock up.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2018, 10:39 am 

Amazon has emailed some more links, these are other sources for powdered eggs and might provide more choice with some poking around at each website.

-----------------------------------------------

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/r.html?C=RI930 ... _380329700

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 7:29 am 

I'm in Vermont, not the Toronto area. My staples include couscous, whole dried milk (not non-fat) and various kinds of noodles (bought from a local food coop or health food store), minute rice and hash browns (from chain supermarkets), and corn, onions, carrots and jerky (all dehydrated at home). A friend once gifted me freeze-dried peas. They were a really lovely touch in a back country meal. - K

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 2:14 pm 

Whole milk powder. Been a fan for decades and use Medallion Milk whole milk powder.

https://www.medallionmilk.com/collectio ... ilk-powder

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 4:50 pm 

Bulk Barn sells that in some locations

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.