It is currently November 15th, 2019, 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Homemade alcohol stoves.
PostPosted: December 20th, 2018, 9:39 pm 

I have seen pix of Trianga and Coglan alcohol stoves but it sounds like a fun DIY project to make one. There are many Youtube videos showing many variations. Has anybody made one?

I don't intend to use it for any multi-day canoe trips---more like daytrips when a nice cuppa would be good, for eg. when paddling, hiking, fishing

I'm a bit puzzled re the purpose of the 'inner wall' i.e the piece made cutting a sheet of Al from the middle part of the can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVweFsrgn0

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 8:37 am 

I've made a few different fancy feast stoves for people.

https://youtu.be/vtBlMvlkeoM

Not really my thing but not much of an investment either. I just never feel too at ease with a pot balanced on a small tin of flammable liquid that's on fire.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 9:10 am 

I've made a couple of pop can stoves. They are easy to make and cost literally nothing.

They also work shockingly well. I was really surprised by the heat output. I have used naptha stoves all my life and I always thought alcohol was a much slower way to cook. It isn't. The biggest disadvantage is that there is no control, it is either on or off. However you can add a piece to damp it down a bit, I just haven't made one yet. For boiling water or one-pot meals it is fine. Really effective to use in conjunction with a pot cozy.

Inner wall: once the stove warms up, after about a minute depending on the temperature, the fuel is drawn up between the walls and flames shoot out the holes around the rims. Works much better that way.

I think they are perfect for backpacking because the stove weighs only a few grams. Bring a couple if you want. The fuel is also cheap and available at any hardware store (methyl hydrate).

Although I love my Svea 123 dearly, for backpacking this really is a great way to go.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 9:43 am 

We make those with the Scouts - great fun. And you can really geek out on hole size and hole patterns - at one point I was doing heat tests with different patterns and sizes but I did not do a great job of documenting my results, unfortunately.

Also if you use one of the jumbo beer cans like a 1L can you get a bigger stove. If you take care and cut very precisely and put it together with epoxy you can make some pretty impressive stoves.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 1:14 pm 

Should also mention that you have to use a pot stand and wind screen with these stoves. There are lots of plans on the web. The stoves are very sensitive to wind.

I have an old Sigg pot kit for the Svea and the windscreen from that just happens to work perfectly as a combined windscreen and pot stand for these stoves.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 6:28 pm 

Thx guys. I am 'contemplating the variables'. :D . One other key variable is the possible use of absorbent material---I have seen fibreglass being suggested. The advantage, as I see it, is that it reduces the risks of major spillage. I guess it makes tha fuel burn more slowly. If so, I guess I will need to increase the stove size to compensate.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2018, 9:55 pm 

Yeah I never really understood why some people put stuff inside but I guess your explanation makes sense.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2018, 10:03 am 

I assume that's the main reason. I have watched, or half watched, quite a few Youtube videos and they tend to be a bit short on design principles but very looong on the fab process! Nothing like watching some guy punch oodles of holes in the rim of a beer can!! :D :-? I guess I should be thankful that they posted.