It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 12:11 pm 

I'm thinking about purchasing Rynoskin clothing for my two kids and wife. They're not a fan of the bug jackets (particularly the head nets), and none of us are big fans of wearing bug spray. However, at ~$50 per item, it's a considerable investment for me. Does anyone own this stuff and is able to offer a review on the product's effectiveness against mosquitoes and black flies? I've come across reviews dating back to 2006, but I find there are few reviews available considering how long they've been in business.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 5:13 pm 

Permethrin is a lot cheaper. Maybe it is not legal in Canada. Seems not to be except for agriculture and that concentration is 20 times more concentrated than what you want to apply on clothing.

Maybe you are in a position to go to a US outdoor store or even Wal Mart and buy Sawyer permethrin.

Rynoskin is an interesting concept sort of like stuffing yourself in a wetsuit which has to be snug fitting too.. Not sure I want to try it.

That hood would bug me literally.. Most bites happen at cuffs ( and the rynoskin is snug) neck and hairline and socks.

I prefer just to avoid wearing blue and black.. Bugs are attracted to those colors..

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 8:41 am 

I've found the Columbia Silver Ridge shirts and pants to be tightly woven enough that they keep most southern and northern Ontario mosquito's from biting through. Results seem to vary however, a similar shirt with similar synthetic materials but picked up from Marks (Windriver brand) left me with many bug bites across the shoulders where the shirt would sit tight to the skin.

I don't know if you can really replace a bug jacket in black fly high season. They just seem to love entering my nose, eye's and ears.

I don't like having bug spray on myself either, usually I just apply to the backs of my hands and then spray the top of my hat and a handkerchief or buff i keep around my neck/shoulders. They like to hover around still but don't seem to land or get too close.

Last year I started using PiActive during mosquito season. I noticed my young kids actually coming back from camping trips with no or just bites compared to myself and the wife. We always used a DEET based spray on ourselves. I think the biggest thing between the two was the PiActive seemed to be very effective during the whole time between reapplications but DEET seemed to start strong and then taper off. I haven't tried during black fly season, maybe this spring.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 9:25 am 

I have had very good results with Natrapel.. The active ingredient Picardin ( same as icardin) seems to work at least as well as DEET ( better even in Florida where we are headed for a month of canoeing next week) DEET seems to be totally inactivated by sweat and Picardin works well for hot.
I don't suffer gear dissolving as I never use the palm of my hands but rather the back of them; and use spray on hands cuff areas and neck and hat or bandana. Long pants tucked into socks.

Bug jacket.. oh yes I still have to pack those though they seldom get used.. The sandflies in FL are horrific; way worse than any bug outbreak in Ontario

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 1:33 pm 

I'm not sure how Nylon and Lycra clothing from your toes to your neck will protect your face from bugs.

There are many clothes you can wear from your toes to your neck that will protect you from bugs but a head net seems like the best way to protect your head.

I haven't used bug spray etc. on the Far North for canoe trips for decades. I just cover up with clothing and a head net. A hood, buff neck tube and head scarf are another methods of partial head protection. Likewise a good wind.

Light coloured clothing is better than darker colours.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 1:47 pm 

At first look, I'd say you should just wear clothes. I'm not seeing the Rynoskin doing anything that any other clothes wouldn't already do and it definitely won't replace a head net for protecting your face from black flies. If you're worried about ticks then make sure to tuck your pant legs into your socks.