It is currently April 26th, 2019, 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 2:04 pm 

As the days slowly get longer it is time to start planning next summers trip. I was hoping to get some advice from this forum for a route in Temagami.

A route which has caught my attention is a loop starting at the Sturgeon River (Paul Lake) access point, heading south then cutting east through Solace River PP to Solace lake. From there head north to Regan and then back to the put-in at Sturgeon River (Paul Lake). We would also do a side trip to Scarecrow to hike the Ishpatina Ridge.

Can anyone comment on the above route, specifically if this is a suitable 5-day trip and anything to watch out for (i.e. nice sites, highlights, mapping errors etc.).

Some background, we are a group of 6 in our mid-30s with lots of tripping experience and in relatively good shape. We have the following criteria for a trip:
- 5 days / 4 nights (trip will be in August) coming from Toronto
- Don't want to drive more than ~6 hrs from Toronto
- Want a challenging trip that offers beauty and a sense of remoteness (don't
like seeing cottages, motor boats), or too many other people.
- Opportunity for side hikes

I would also love to hear any other route suggestions that might fit our criteria.

Cheers
Evan

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 2:29 pm 

This topic was discussed recently - look for "Solace PP". Without Ishpatina this trip could be made in 2 long days. Camping between Solace, Regan and Gervais landing on the Sturgeon (or Scarecrow) is scarce and non-inviting. First non-ATV accessible site is on Woods. There's also smallish wild site on Melanson, which is not on the maps. Otherwise the lakes and the river are beautiful and offer plenty of variety, some portages are challenging, but nothing crazy (may be one hill, to think of it), and quite possible you won't see a soul. Have fun!
P.S. name of the park is Solace Wildlands (Jeff's map's mistaken - there's no Solace river)

PostPosted: January 24th, 2019, 5:52 pm 

The park is called Solace Lakes Provincial Park. Solace Wildlands refers to a significant roadless area south of the park that is currently facing threats related to the Turner Road construction. More info on this issue at Friends of Temagami http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/save-solace/

PostPosted: January 26th, 2019, 6:12 pm 

Thank you for correction. I was confused by my wrong reading of ottertooth map. Actually the map says Solace Waterway park. According to Ontario Provincial Parks web site and most of other on-line sources the name is Solace Provincial park.