It is currently July 20th, 2019, 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 1st, 2019, 8:40 pm 

Stu Robertson wrote:
As a builder of quality canoes including ( canoes with little to no rocker ' asymmetrical and symmetrical ) it is always wise to test paddle and see what work's for you . I have customers come for one style test paddle and prefer another . And yes I'm new to this forum.

Welcome to the board!

They say "it's worth the drive to Acton"

No personal experience so I have no idea but here's a plug............

http://www.silvercreekcanoes.com/

PostPosted: February 1st, 2019, 8:52 pm 

Stu Robertson wrote:
it is always wise to test paddle and see what work's for you .

Welcome aboard Stu. This is something that should have been said from the outset. Tx.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2019, 8:50 am 

Thanks for the welcome . I get asked if I sell used canoes all the time ( I don't ) but they have there heart set on used I tell to bring it to me first to have a look at it as builders see things Joe public would not notice . Buyer beware .

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2019, 10:35 am 

recped wrote:
open_side_up wrote:
Rentals do take more knocking about than personal canoes

This gave me quite a chuckle, I'm pretty sure all my "personal" canoes would disagree. I know I'd be careful with a canoe whose owner had unfettered access to my credit card!

I would agree that the majority of canoe owners treat their boats as delicate craft and usually have developed more skills than the rental crowd.

I almost agree, I'm always super careful with rentals, but I am sure a lot of people don't care as much.

open_side_up wrote:
Corbeau wrote:
Another place to check is Frontenac Outfitters, which sells off their rental canoes annually as well

...and IIRC, they replace their fleet every year so their re-sale canoes are a year old, max.

Speaking of H20 Canoes, have you seen these ones? 16'6 "Canadian" 46lbs, $2200 (Somewhat out of the price range for the $1000/50lb standard I use ... but if you've got the budget Yates!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-pad ... nFlag=true

I didn't even think to check out outfitters out 'East', thanks! I did see those H2Os a few days ago. I really like the orange one, matches my camp gear!!

Still determining my budget. I can afford 2g, but don't know if I want to go that high..

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2019, 11:58 am 

recped wrote:
open_side_up wrote:
Rentals do take more knocking about than personal canoes

This gave me quite a chuckle, I'm pretty sure all my "personal" canoes would disagree. I know I'd be careful with a canoe whose owner had unfettered access to my credit card!

I would agree that the majority of canoe owners treat their boats as delicate craft and usually have developed more skills than the rental crowd.

My canoes are working canoes. I don't baby them, but don't drag them across a portage either.

This from a post from yesterday on another thread kinda illustrates the point I was making ..." I'm not sure I would want to do this route in a canoe I owned. I try not to abuse rental canoes, but this is definitely a rental canoe route later in summer. "

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2019, 9:53 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
This from a post from yesterday on another thread kinda illustrates the point I was making ..." I'm not sure I would want to do this route in a canoe I owned. I try not to abuse rental canoes, but this is definitely a rental canoe route later in summer. "

I love it!

And welcome Stu!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 4:38 pm 

I was pretty keen on acquiring a used Souris River canoe from K.O. until I saw a couple fully load their rental canoe on the George Lake Beach. Then the bow paddler got in. Then the stern paddler dragged the whole carnival across the sand to the water. Then he got in - careful to do so before the canoe was entirely in the water (because I guess he thought it might get "tippy" then. Finally, with a lot of shoving with his rental paddle, they got underway. The canoes are good buys. Just be aware that they have been treated rough, and sometimes have an extra coat of resin slathered on to hide the abuse they have taken.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 4:48 pm 

[quote="SteveBoal" and sometimes have an extra coat of resin slathered on to hide the abuse they have taken.[/quote]

Pretty sure they will all have a fresh top-coat of epoxy resin as well as new kevlar skid plates. Some may have patches and ribs repaired. Patches don't bother me, nor do properly repaired ribs and I would think K.O has the expertise to do a good job on both. I believe the canoes they are selling now are from 2014 so have seen a few summers.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 5:07 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
...From experience with my canoe, I'd say those ribs would have to take a whole lot of abuse before they fatigued enough to oilcan. Rentals do take more knocking about than personal canoes, so certainly something to check for in a used S.R.

I've always heard good things about Souris River. Personally, I'm also quite certain that the abuse from those ribs on my knees will disable me before anything disables the canoe.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 8:07 am 

Actually Splake, the ribs are gently bevelled, low profile and spaced far enough apart that I've never found them to be hard on the knees.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 9:15 am 

Looking at SR's photo of the Prospector 16... if it's being paddled solo and reversed from the front seat, the rib looks like it's about in the same place where knees and kneecaps would be. Ribs are located further forward with more room for knees when paddlers are kneeling tandem. I haven'r paddled this SR, but kneeling on raised composite ribs was rough on knees on another brand... SR's may be smoother and I'll take OSU's word for it that they're comfortable.

Still, this is something that I'd be checking out for comfort before buying... me, I'm sorta picky about comfort with sitting, kneeling, relaxing on the bottom with my feet up on a thwart and the back resting on the seat.

Another problem could be if a kneeling thwart was going to be used solo. Moving the seat might help. Picking nits in the details, I guess.

https://www.sourisriver.com/prospector16

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 9:55 am 

OK, just as a qualifier. When I solo my 17', I typically take a flatwater sprint canoe position ahead of the stern thwart and use the thwart as a butt rest. No rib/knee contact there for me ... but having said that, I also use a closed cell foam garden kneeler for comfort.

These days I use my "new" Mad River Independence for soloing. Traditional butt on front edge of seat kneeling position but still with a garden kneeler or two.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 10:07 am 

Another thing that comes to mind with the S.R. canoes is that the seats are set lower than most. Lowers the centre of gravity, but I added a hardwood spacer under seat as well as sitting on the kneeler to raise it an inch or so for comfort.

Did I mention that I canoe with a kneeler???

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 10:50 am 

open_side_up wrote:
... I believe that the knock against the flex rib system comes from competitors slagging a design ...

Again, I've always heard good things about Souris River canoes, but for me the ribs have a negative impact on the function of a tripping canoe. This isn't a case of competitors "slagging" the design but a real world impact that should be consciously considered before making a purchase. Rounding the edges and using kneeling pads are ways to mitigate the impact of the design choice and may be sufficient for some folks.

If I ever find that mint condition Chestnut cedar-canvas boat at the price I can afford, then I'll happily accept the ribs. For a modern tripping canoe, I'll continue to prefer a foam core design like my 15 year old Swift Temagami in the Expedition Kevlar lay up.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 6:16 pm 

Hahaha!

Thank you for that last note Splake.
As the proud owner- and active paddler- of a Chesnut Bobs Special, a Pal and a Prospector I was trying to figure out what the issue was with ribs in a canoe! I'm a kneeler whether tandem or solo and my kneecaps usually feel with they've been through a cheese grater at the end of a long day, regardless of the foam pads.
The view forward across varnished cedar and the feel on water makes up for it and i wouldn't change for anything.

Except when i need to portage the Prospector more than 100m's...

Bruce