It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Green River Utah
PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 12:18 pm 

The Trinity River in Calif has some technical rapids, but they are definitely doable with loaded boats. The landscape and wildlife are wonderful, but just watch out for the dope growers. The lower Kalamath R is outstanding. Both are great fisheries. Parts of the Snake above Boise.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2014, 5:07 pm 

Some of the sw rivers have very short seasons and require permits. That makes it awkward. I have shifted some of my emphasis to big rivers that do not require permits and have dependable flows like the Sacramento, Willamette and the Colorado.

One note on the Green. It can be plenty hot in summer as in 115 degrees F. It is probably better to risk some cool/cold weather in the shoulder seasons. The fall is an excellent time to paddle there.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 12:26 pm 

Again I am chasing Mc Crea.. We've been doing this all winter. He is on the Green now again. I'll be there May 7..leaving tomorrow. We chased across Fl and the Everglades this season.. seeing the same characters a day apart.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2014, 12:18 pm 

I can't face editing this or figuring out the photos for CCR.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/sho ... reen-River

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 9:10 am 

Yet another Green River video trip report.

https://youtu.be/TW1BPDc7FuM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW1BPDc7FuM[/youtube]
It was a great way to stretch out the paddling season.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 4:42 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Thanks Darl-h for the video! I greatly enjoyed it - 3 of us are heading down there to do the same trip in mid April, starting at Ruby Ranch.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2019, 7:56 am 

marscanoe wrote:
Thanks Darl-h for the video! I greatly enjoyed it - 3 of us are heading down there to do the same trip in mid April, starting at Ruby Ranch.

Dress for immersion.. The water is snowmelt.. It is barely above freezing.. You are very early in the season and need to be ready for snow and freezing temps and high winds.

Having done the Green in both late Sept and early May.. they were not the same trip though geographically they were.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2019, 9:52 am 
CCR Site Administrator

littleredcanoe wrote:
Dress for immersion.. The water is snowmelt.. It is barely above freezing.. You are very early in the season and need to be ready for snow and freezing temps and high winds.

Having done the Green in both late Sept and early May.. they were not the same trip though geographically they were.

Thanks for the advice! We are prepared for cold water & the expected temps - have done the San Juan 2 years ago at the same time period - April 18-27. However, weather averages show zero snow in April along the Green River so I suspect it would be minimal at most. We got close to freezing temps on the San Juan at night but during the day it was beautiful. And we did experience the the afternoon winds whipping up the canyons!

We are greatly looking forward to some beautiful early season paddling!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2019, 3:16 pm 

Nothing like seeing a post from 6 years ago that planned a trip I still haven't done. Was all set this year but now its planned for 2020 April. Let us know how it went, next month. Also how you are getting there (to Moab)..driving or flying.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2019, 4:50 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

HAHA!! Sometimes it's 10 years before I actually do a trip I had planned!! e.g. coastal Lake Superior PP - aiming at it again this summer....however, my would be companion dropped out just recently so I may end up doing it solo.

Two of us are driving to Moab with 2 canoes & all the gear & 1 is flying....& she is renting her canoe.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2019, 7:13 pm 

marscanoe wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:

Thanks for the advice! We are prepared for cold water & the expected temps - have done the San Juan 2 years ago at the same time period - April 18-27. However, weather averages show zero snow in April along the Green River so I suspect it would be minimal at most. We got close to freezing temps on the San Juan at night but during the day it was beautiful. And we did experience the the afternoon winds whipping up the canyons!

We are greatly looking forward to some beautiful early season paddling!

Weather is highly localized. I had a blizzard that bent our mountaineering tent over ( MH Trango 3.1) was thankful the tent was built for Everest Base Camp.. I had three inches of snow . on Mothers day. Meanwhile Hubby was on a ten mile hike up the canyon and had nothing. He did not even get wet.

Averages on the Green are kind of pointless.. ( we had snow on the return jetboat back to Moab on our trip that ended Oct 2). It was so cold though officially 32 d F which seems not a big deal. But a jetboat moving at 45 mph makes a lot of windchill.. everyone was on the floor to huddle and keep warm as best as possible out of the wind.

While sandbar camping is attractive in the early fall, and absent during the spring the tradeoff is blooming cactus. do not run out of camera batteries! the flowers are amazing

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm 

Some of my favorite spots
Hey Joe Canyon.. Wonderful mix of wildflowers and old equipment
Fort Bottom old cabin
Anderson Bottom.. Hike NW and see many old in the canyon wall structures that look like prisons
Jasper Canyon.. ruins. many canyons have these Also waterfalls. In the spring you can have sweet fresh cold water from waterfalls.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2019, 1:50 pm 

Our trip ...

http://loafin-around.blogspot.com/2014/ ... .html#more

PostPosted: July 11th, 2019, 9:38 am 

A great trip. A good place to read JW Powell;s journal at night. We went in July and it was really hot like 110 degrees F. We spent time floating in the river next to the boats. We took out at Mineral Bottom to avoid the shuttle from the confluence.

I bought a canoe from a famous local guy in Denver, Jerry Nyre. He and a friend famously paddled to Moab upstream from the confluence. It has been done since, but he was the first.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2019, 10:40 pm 

I have never gotten serious about the San Juan because of the permit problem.
I should add the Willamette R in Oregon as a great canoeing river.