It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 26th, 2016, 11:16 pm 

wotrock wrote:
The next time you pass thru NB try to smuggle some Barbours peanut butter( with 'the real nutty flavour' as the ads used to say a long time ago). It has a texture somewhere between the usual smooth and lumpy varieties---little bit gritty.

Hokay. day trip scenario
Douanes Canada"maam what is the purpose of your trip?" "to buy peanut butter". How long will you stay"30 minutes"

30 minutes later

USCPB: " How long were you in Canada"
me " 30 minutes"
them "what did you buy in Canada?".
me "Peanut butter" "Two jars. At the Atlantic Superstore in St Stephen"
Them " pull over for secondary inspection" At the current exchange rate no way will they believe THAT!

one hour later in Calais ( 3 hours from home)seeking body shop to put doors back on. Its cold right now.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2016, 10:26 am 

I've sent and received many kinds of herbal tea to and from friends in the states without any problems. If your stuff is dehydrated, you many consider mailing a box to yourself at a P.O. Box near your trip destination. And yes, some of this tea did have dried mango in it :p

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: January 27th, 2016, 1:07 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
wotrock wrote:
The next time you pass thru NB try to smuggle some Barbours peanut butter( with 'the real nutty flavour' as the ads used to say a long time ago). It has a texture somewhere between the usual smooth and lumpy varieties---little bit gritty.

Hokay. day trip scenario
Douanes Canada"maam what is the purpose of your trip?" "to buy peanut butter". How long will you stay"30 minutes"

30 minutes later

USCPB: " How long were you in Canada"
me " 30 minutes"
them "what did you buy in Canada?".
me "Peanut butter" "Two jars. At the Atlantic Superstore in St Stephen"
Them " pull over for secondary inspection" At the current exchange rate no way will they believe THAT!

one hour later in Calais ( 3 hours from home)seeking body shop to put doors back on. Its cold right now.

Ah, but if it's Barbours it's worth the price!!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2016, 1:34 pm 

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... rom-canada

Packaged teas with dried spices and fruit from other countries are admissible. Your fresh mango is certainly not from Canada.
The issue is bugs.

You will have dehydrated any .. :rofl:

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 9:43 am 

We drove down to the winter camping symposium in Minnesota this October from Manitoba. We took a box of supplies along for breakfasts, mostly granola and oatmeal etc. We also took a Nalgene pot of homegrown mint tea. They were a little suspicious of anyone camping in late October and when they searched the car found our little pot of green leaves. Obviously they thought this was something else homegrown. It was taken away for inspection. I think they have an electronic sniffer dog or maybe they gave it to a real dog, who knows, but it came back 5 minutes later and we were OK to proceed.

Anything that is not in the original packaging is likely to be a problem and some stuf may not be so easy to confirm as harmless...

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 11:33 am 

I'd just avoid having anything packaged that looked like "little green leaves" OUO. Chili and spaghetti sauce I would think would be low on the list of suspects.

To even admit to ever having used the little green leaves will render you inadmissible...forever. We've a little catching up to do. Somehow I don't think Justin Trudeau would be banned.

http://globalnews.ca/news/817177/could- ... moked-pot/

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 10:12 am 
CCR Site Administrator

We are going to paddle the Green River, Utah in April & suddenly I remembered that we will be crossing the border into the US!!

Does anybody have any recent experience with crossing into the US with Trip Food?

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 10:33 am 

I cross the border fairly frequently for camping trips. The routine questions are for meat or citrus fruit. If you say no you are not likely to be inspected. A good argument for meat substitutes.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 6:23 pm 

marscanoe wrote:
We are going to paddle the Green River, Utah in April & suddenly I remembered that we will be crossing the border into the US!!

Does anybody have any recent experience with crossing into the US with Trip Food?

I always have leftover dehydrated meat.. They have never asked.. I am prepared to jettison it.. Fresh produce and meat is most likely to get confiscated..
Check for your fruit origin... Tropical fruits will likely be staying at Customs.
Two liters of Quebec Maple syrup and an insane amount of cheese from PQ was fine in November.

There are grocery stores in Moab.. Curiously the best sushi I have ever had was in Moab too.

No need to panic.. dehydrated could well pass muster.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 8:45 pm 

Most current info from US Customs:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... %20to%20us

Avoid fresh anything

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 11:04 pm 

crossed to US recently and they took my avocados! Meant to have them on my sandwhich :(

Get booze before hitting Utah. The liquor store in Moab is a pain in the butt (crappy hours/choice).

Moab brewery is popular dining spot, beer is so so.

I've had the jet boat bring a cooler amongst other things.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 9:24 am 
CCR Site Administrator

Thanks everybody for your advice on trip food going across the border - I'll give it a go with all my dehydrated food but be prepared to replace if necessary. And zero fresh stuff!!!

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 2:30 pm 

marscanoe wrote:
Thanks everybody for your advice on trip food going across the border - I'll give it a go with all my dehydrated food but be prepared to replace if necessary. And zero fresh stuff!!!

Thursdays Farmers Market in the evenings in Moab. Really good fresh stuff. Its a shame you will be too early for melon season.