It is currently June 17th, 2019, 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 9:52 pm 

Maybe our American friends can help out. These aren't too readily available up here, are they worth hunting down?

https://naturamarket.ca/brands/kodiak-c ... -567g.html

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2018, 7:27 pm 

I don't think that mix is very widely available in the U.S. either - as in I've never heard of it. If you decide to take the risk and order it, let us know how it is. It might lesson my pancake eating guilt as I consume the 5 bottles of maple syrup that came home with me from my recent rip to Ontario. :)

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2018, 7:34 pm 

Meh.. I take a homemade granola with kamut flakes ( 12 g protein-and its a complete protein- per serving) and maple syrup. Instead of milk I mix skyr with it ( 15 g protein 120 calories per 5.3 oz), Skyr is a cultured dairy product that is widely available in the US ( of course Iceland has many more brands and flavors) and keeps well without refrigeration for a few days. So I can get a 27 g protein breakfast with almost no sugar and almost no fat.

I had a hard time finding kamut flakes in the grocery so I ordered it online.. Same may well be true for you at the natural market .ca

Its worth pursuing. Everything is better with maple syrup.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 4:13 pm 

Just back from St. Andrew's by the Sea. I looked across the border from St. Stephen but don't think I saw you littleredcanoe.

Love the Skyr. Eat it daily on my steel cut oats, berries and nuts/seeds ... of course topped with maple syrup.

If I was buying the Flapjack mix in bulk, the shipping becomes negligible, but I can't abide paying as much for shipping as the product itself, to sample a single box ... especially w/o a recommendation.

If I find a local source, I'll give it a go and post a review.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm 

I'm pretty sure they have this at Costco, perhaps only in Alberta though.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 8:52 pm 

chukknorris wrote:
I'm pretty sure they have this at Costco, perhaps only in Alberta though.

We've been debating giving these a whirl. We've seen them at Costco in Peterborough, ON.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 1:01 pm 

Thanks for bumping this thread. I wouldn't have been on the lookout otherwise.

Just back from the Overlea Costco store in Leaside (Toronto), and was pleased to find these there. $14.99 for the same 2kg box available for $34.99 on Amazon.ca. Still 2.25x more expensive than Aunt Jemima's though.

Will whip up a batch for breakfast this weekend and touch back with my impressions.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 3:09 pm 

They’re good. Easy mix to remember because it’s just 1 cup water to 1 cup mix.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2019, 8:15 am 

So I just whipped up batches of both; water and mix as well as milk, egg and mix.

On both versions, Side A crisped up nicely, but without much bubbling to indicate that it's time to flip. Side B browned up but not as pleasing to the eye as the other side.

The water and mix batch was a little on the dense side, and I think I could taste some "oatiness." Not unpleasant, but noticeable. No hint of protein powder taste or texture.

The milk, egg and mix version was definitely a little lighter and fluffier (airier). Without doubt the better of the two batches.

All said and done the verdict is in ... and the verdict is "meh."

This product doesn't warrant making it into my regular rotation of high protein at-home breakfasts.

I usually only eat pancakes in the backcountry, so for "occasional" consumption, I'll stick to Aunt Jemima's.

i