It is currently November 11th, 2019, 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 7:14 pm 

WOW! It’s been awhile since I have been on here and miss all of you so much! I have come back for some advice this time. I now have a young family with a very energetic 2 year old and am interested in a tent suitable for the backcountry(canoe) that can suit our needs

Our needs: 1)Spacious enough for the kid and two adults.
2) Light enough and not too bulky if at all possible.
3) preferably 2 vestibules
4) As weather proof and bomb proof as they can get! Somehow I have bad luck with gear breaking on me so This is really important.

I know its not much to go on but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Who else is getting excited for this season!?!? :thumbup:

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 7:28 pm 

I would suggest that you have a look at a MEC Wanderer 4. It covers your 4 criteria points well, and has a solid history as a paddler's tent.

Ubique

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 8:18 pm 

The new Wanderer 4 is a complete redesign and not really related that much to the one I have and I've used extensively with our Scout troop. It is on the heavy side for backpacking but ideal for canoe camping and it can stand up in a hurricane if properly guyed out. Here is a video I took a few years ago when a group of 4 Scouts insisted on pitching their tent on a bluff at the edge of the island we were on. That was quite a night I have to say! The new W4 has a bit more headroom around the edges but about the same square footage as I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-N4WpllKs

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 9:57 pm 

We bought a Marmot Limelight 3 recently. Worked well for us putting our grandson in the middle of us. Being over 6' I found the vertical walls on the end very helpful. If you want bomb proof you can get a 4 season expedition tent.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 6:46 am 

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! I will take a gander at them tonight. Really appreciate this fellas

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 11:00 am 

I just looked at the MEC website and can't find the Wanderer 4. Am I missing something or have they discontinued it?

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 11:14 am 

You're right Ralph. I looked too. The Wander 4 is no longer offered for sale by MEC. The only 4 person MEC brand tents they are offering are the Cabin, the Volt, the Camper & the 4 season TGV.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 11:48 am 

Not sure if you want to go this light but I have a TarpTent Hogback. 4 lbs for a 4 person tent. Packs really small.

Vestibules are small as it is designed as a backpacking tent but if you only have 2 adults and a 2 year old in it there would be lots of room inside.

Was in a huge storm in it in Killarney last year. Storm threw my canoe 25 feet. Tent held its ground.

Versatile tent.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/hogback/

https://youtu.be/0P8zqZnP-bE

Can hold light snow with the optional crossing poles.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 12:01 pm 

Dave_k wrote:
You're right Ralph. I looked too. The Wander 4 is no longer offered for sale by MEC. The only 4 person MEC brand tents they are offering are the Cabin, the Volt, the Camper & the 4 season TGV.

This guy has a used Wanderer 4. In North York..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/city-of-toronto/camping-tents-rush-sale/1423850371?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 1:44 pm 

Just a heads up that the second vestibule on the Wanderer 4 was an optional add-on IIRC. Recommended if you can find a good one used.

Another top choice might be the Eureka El Capitan 4.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 2:05 pm 

Not at all surprised the Wanderer 4 was a top recommendation. I am surprised MEC isn't continuing to produce it!

For 2 adults & a small child, I'd suggest you could still do alright with the Wanderer 2! It can fit 3 regular thermarests across and I've used it with 3 adults.

Going back many years, I replaced my Wanderer 2 with a Wanderer 2, many of my friends also picked up Wanderers, and when the family came along we got a Wanderer 4. I will never buy a tent with 1 door again!

P.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 2:28 pm 

What is very strange is that the W4 just had a complete redesign about 2 years ago and now it has disappeared! Wow!

But that also means it could show up on their website in a couple of months in the clearance section. I got a Tarn 2 and Tarn 3 that way a few years ago - at half price!

Note the Camper 4 is not as robust as the W4 - our Scout troop has a couple of them and while it is still a good tent, I don't think it will prove to be as indestructible as the W4s have been.

The W4 in the kijiji ad is the 10+ year old model IIRC - it came before the one I have an our Scout troop uses. I have wanted to buy one for some time but keep missing them on kijiji. Not really sure if there are any major differences between that model and the one I know so well. Though I will say I don't think it is worth $275. I'd pay half that tops.

And yes the 2nd vestibule was an extra add on. Our troop has 10 of them almost unused. Would love to find one for my tent.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 4:11 pm 

Eureka summer pass 3 ,two doors two vestibules good price . Customer service is great and from Ontario.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 4:51 pm 

MSR Elixer 3...fairly light(on the edge of being a backpacking tent weight wise). Wanderer sized vestibules(almost), breathes well and comes with a ground sheet.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 5:25 pm 

The MEC Wanderer looked to be a fine option but as stated above, it is no longer available. My brother had a Tarn 3 and it was great so MEC definitely is a trusted brand in our household. I might look into the Marmot and MSR offerings. I did stumble on the North Face Talus 4p, it seems to check off everything on the list. Anyone ne have experience with North Face tents?