It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 8:50 pm 

That's some good knowledge MT. Gonna give this a try soon.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 10:41 pm 

D.B Cooper wrote:
The 818 will probably be a fall purchase from radio world.For rest of this season I will bring wire and work on some suggestions you gave re attennas for my crane.many thanks

Any news on your desire for a radio for transmitting? Did you manage to acquire something?

MT

PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 12:30 am 

Weather Balloon>Helium>100 feet of antenna wire :wink:

2 small party size Helium tanks (18cubic feet) +200Gram Weather balloon tethered by string + 100 feet of 26 gauge Antenna wire ( aka #534 antenna wire from The Wireman)

Antenna wire can also be tethered to a medium sized drone but battery power on most drones is only good for 15-20 minutes per battery where a weather balloon filled with helium is good for 2-3 days when treated with Hi-Float

Cheers ...... Vin

PostPosted: April 14th, 2019, 11:09 am 

Thanks for asking. I purchased the radio licence Manuel read it and lost interest.Maybe another year.Instead I got my Ontario Prospectors Licence And now will search for gold silver ect while canoeing.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2019, 4:56 pm 

When I was truck camping with my son when he was a very young kid I carried a piece of 1X3 lumber about a foot long. Attached to a hole drilled in one end I had about 30 feet of small copper wire (phone wire). I would throw the stick as high as I could up into a tree and the other end was wrapped around the truck antanna (sp). It increased the reception by leaps and bounds. I could sometimes pick up a rock station in Little Rock Arkansas From northern Ontario. When we later got into backcountry canoeing and remote camping the last thing I wanted to listen to was the city noise that I was trying to get away from so no radio for me.