It is currently October 16th, 2019, 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 29th, 2019, 7:00 pm 

Here is the idea:

I am from The Netherlands and have moved to Canada permenantly. Now I am saving up money to fly my two best friends over (this is a multi-year plan) and take them on an epic Canoe trip. They are fine back country hikers, so being in the wilderness is not a problem, but they are very inexperienced paddlers. I am an advanced beginner myself.

I am looking for a canoe trip/route in BC, within a day's drive of Nelson, that would take us about 8 to 10 days, where we would feel as away from the world as we possibly can, but where the paddling is easy and/or or the hard stuff is obvious and has portage options.

The sense of wilderness, solitude and traveling by canoe are the most important aspects of this trip as they don't have access to that at home. We would prefer to make camp where we feel like it, rather than designated sites. Fishing for food would be fun, swimming would be a bonus, but cold water is fine. A loop would be great, but I can arrange drop off/pick up rides, too.

Does that description make a particular lake/river/area pop into your mind? Let me know!

Last edited by BenV on April 29th, 2019, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2019, 7:18 pm 

Bowron Lakes

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... bowron_lk/

PostPosted: April 29th, 2019, 8:09 pm 

Another possibility is Murtle Lake - not as many people as Bowron, designated campsites, fishing, hiking.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... s/wg_murt/

PostPosted: April 29th, 2019, 8:45 pm 

"We would prefer to make camp where we feel like it, rather than designated sights."
This line is the only problem with your request but the Bowron Lakes Circuit does fit every other requirement.

I second Recped's suggestion.

If you want to drive further, then add Nation Lakes to the choices.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2019, 6:41 am 

Good suggestions but you will not find solitude or real wilderness on the Bowron or Murtle Lake.
You will find great scenery, good paddling and friendly fellow paddlers on both.
If you are willing to extend your driving distance into Northern BC the Dease River comes to mind but you will want some experience as in lessons/instruction first.
Three is an awkward number for a canoe trip unless you have two boats.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2019, 8:29 am 

The OP's criteria are confusing.. Easy paddling is sought by many. Many means if everyone camped wherever there would be a good bit of damage to the environment.. Ergo designated sites are done.

You get a sense of solitude at Bowron and the time frame fits.. Isaac Lake can be awful in the wind as its is so long and ringed with mountains so a good spot to lay by is a plus. Some of the campsites are shareable but we only had company the first two nights. The other four we were totally alone..

Coming from Europe the change in environment would be quite noticeable to your friends.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2019, 10:42 am 

What about driving to Vancouver and doing some of the inside passage? Seems like there is almost unlimited land and water to explore with all the large inlets and beautiful scenery. Maybe take a ferry a ways north to get to the more remote areas in less time.

Alan

PostPosted: April 30th, 2019, 11:39 am 

For two complete beginners and one self proclaimed beginner that are coming from the Netherlands I would think that Bowron would be full of solitude and "real" wilderness.

Go in the off season and you will be by yourselves.

Have a look at Moose Valley near 100Mile for a smaller scale trip.

Here's another one... Come on up to Burns Lake and paddle the Nanika/Kidprice canoe route.
It can be paddled in as little as 3 days but 5 or more gives you time to explore.
You can camp anywhere you'd like but you will learn that the provided sites are strategically placed and have been developed to best suit us paddlers.
Burns Lake has incredible mountain biking (with rentals) , free camping, hiking trails galore, and is very close to many large and small lakes.

It's not as easy as you think to just clear and set up a camp anywhere.
Use the amenities that have been provided.
There are reasons why camps and portages have been developed where they are.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2019, 3:45 pm 

Check out Wells Grey PP.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2019, 1:39 pm 

By some standards, and compared to other parts of Canada - if you're thinking of typical, loon-call, one-lake-is-connected-to-the-next, drink-from-the-river, camp-where-you-want Canadian shield - BC doesn't have a lot of wilderness paddling. Lots of valleys in BC have a highway one side and a railway on the other. And forestry roads get everywhere.

However, by many standards, canoe trips like Murtle Lake, Bowron and other suggestions are probably just what you are looking for!

Doing a combo canoe & hiking would be great out of Murtle - because the lake is only accessible to paddlers, the trails to the alpine will be all yours.

Pat.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2019, 3:18 pm 

But if you want mountains... BC AL and the Yukon and NWT are the best. OK.. NL and QC but thats the other coast

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2019, 12:44 am 

Yes, Alabama is spectacular?

:D

True that the trade-offs are good. The visitors would have a memorable trip to any of these great locations.

P.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2019, 8:06 am 

yarnellboat wrote:
Yes, Alabama is spectacular?

:D

True that the trade-offs are good. The visitors would have a memorable trip to any of these great locations.

P.

:lol:

oops... AB