It is currently October 21st, 2019, 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seats
PostPosted: May 4th, 2019, 4:34 pm 

Picts of your seats in your canoe.

Diy seats.

Weird seats etc etc.
i am looking to make my own crank up/down seat.
Now that i cant knee anymore (sad)

But looking at ideas

Tks

Post subject: Re: Seats
PostPosted: May 4th, 2019, 4:36 pm 

X criss cross type. I even think about going to scrap ward and get frame of a car seat that do that!,,just the frame and make my own.

Might sound weird. Wen i ask those question.

But being a kneeing canoe guy.

Seating was not my thing. And now i have no choice. So need a seat that can get true balnce so deep and high also,,,so ajustable.

Have few yaks but one canoe,,,,old mad rver explorer,,,love it.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2019, 7:24 am 

You could DIY something like a Kruger seat (in the Sea Wind, Monarch or Loon)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kruger+ ... M1M:&vet=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kruger+ ... 4fM:&vet=1

Or purchase Wenonah adjustable seat hangers

https://www.rutabaga.com/wenonah-canoe- ... at-hangers

PostPosted: May 5th, 2019, 10:35 am 

I've gone round and round in my head on making an adjustable height seat and have never come up with anything lightweight, effective, and simple.

If you're going to be sitting only I think a foot brace will be just as important for extra balance as seat height. If you're worried about stability put the seat low and carry a 3-4" cushion to sit on when you want to be higher. I've found about 6" off the floor (if I remember right) is a good all around height. That will depend somewhat on the stability of the boat and the conditions you plan to paddle it in.

Alan

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 10:59 am 

Alan Gage wrote:
I've gone round and round in my head on making an adjustable height seat and have never come up with anything lightweight, effective, and simple.

We have height adjustable seats in a couple boats. Kruger side slotted seat frames and a Wenonah adjustable height seat. And, if I cared to remove the washers and nuts, some Mohawk seats that used 1” spacers either above or below the L lip of the seat hangers. The Wenonah and Mohawk “solutions” both provide cant angle adjustment as well

The Mohawk adjustment can’t be done on the fly, but it is an easily DIY-able combination of drops and spacers:

https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/collection ... racket-kit

https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/collection ... stment-kit

Lots of available height adjustment opportunities in those seats, and I almost never do. Once I have the seat height and any cant angles where I want it, well, that’s where I want it and that’s where I leave it.

Alan Gage wrote:
If you're going to be sitting only I think a foot brace will be just as important for extra balance as seat height. If you're worried about stability put the seat low and carry a 3-4" cushion to sit on when you want to be higher. I've found about 6" off the floor (if I remember right) is a good all around height. That will depend somewhat on the stability of the boat and the conditions you plan to paddle it in.

I paddle seated 99% of the time for similar knee issues. And back problems, and, hell, pretty much everything hurts. As such I want the canoe to be the most comfortable seat in the house.

When paddling seated for any length of time a foot brace is both a physiological comfort and helps lock in the boat with some oppositional force (slightly canted seat or back band).

Seat height is a balance between preferred paddling style, stability desires and foot room if I ever hope to kneel even briefly, and with a bench seat the ability to get your feet in and out from under the seat depends on your shoe size and how limber you are. My answers being size12 and not very.

I almost never kneel, but for the rare times I knees-be-damned need to I’d like to able to get my feet under the seat. And back out, which is ironically when I’m most likely to dump the canoe, ie “Whew, I really did need to kneel for that bit” and then flip over in the calm run out pool trying to extract my damn feet.

In a solo boat center position using a slightly canted contour seat adds an inch of drop in the center, preserves some higher foot room along the sides for kneeling and helps in canted opposition to the foot brace.

https://www.edscanoe.com/40cecacose.html

A back band adds another point of body contact, and uses less core muscle resistance in opposition to the foot brace.

I install “knee bumpers”, shaped minicel chunks contact cemented under the inwales to comfortably leg spread, so I can feet-on-brace press my knees against the sides. A 25ish inch knee spread is about perfect for me with feet on the brace (5’ 11” Endomorph, YMMV). I do not own a solo canoe with 25” wide inwales (and don’t want to), so all of our solos have minicel knee bumpers for a comfortable leg spread and some padded cushion.

2 feet on foot brace
1 back band
2 knee bumpers
1 ass on contour seat
6 total places I am in contact with the canoe while seated.

Even on a flat bench seat in a tandem I want multiple points of cushioned body contact, including a stern foot brace.

ImageP5010762 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 11:30 am 

Swift canoe now makes and adjustable height seat, very lightweight and very simple application. Might be worth looking at. you may even be able to buy the assembly only from them and install yourself or fabricate something similar yourself.

Attachments:
Swift Canoe adjustable height seat1.jpg
Swift Canoe adjustable height seat1.jpg [ 135 KiB | Viewed 623 times ]

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 2:15 pm 

Captaincanadian wrote:
Swift canoe now makes and adjustable height seat, very lightweight and very simple application. Might be worth looking at. you may even be able to buy the assembly only from them and install yourself or fabricate something similar yourself.

A quick Google search didn't turn anything up on how the seat works. How do you get the carbon tubes into the different height positions?

Alan

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 4:59 pm 

Wow. Some very good responses

Tks a lot.
Now have project to work on.

Mike and cc tks long responses toms of infos and picts,,wow

Again tks everyone

My back hurst from time to time,,,,and i am a big man so harder to knee,,,but the main reason,,,2 dislocated toe,,,been a year...long story! Lol and they will stay dislocated. But wen i knee and bend them,,feet get swolen like crazzy...

:thumbup:

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 5:25 pm 

Alan. I think you slide in and out those poles, smart idea.

Now have few option.

Will try a few and take pict. And post.

Pretty sure i am not the only gueting older. Hahaha. So ideas is good.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2019, 11:44 am 

Hi Alan,

As Jaco mentioned, they just slide back and forth to get them in and out, I believe there is a locking mechanism as well.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2019, 3:08 pm 

Captaincanadian wrote:
Swift canoe now makes and adjustable height seat, very lightweight and very simple application.

I went to the Swift canoe webpage and it hasn't changed. I take it the image shared is from seeing a canoe at a show or their store. They don't show it on their website.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2019, 4:15 pm 

Captaincanadian wrote:
Hi Alan,

As Jaco mentioned, they just slide back and forth to get them in and out, I believe there is a locking mechanism as well.

That's what I was curious about. How they lock in place and how easy the whole thing is to change on the water? I could never come up with a good idea that was easy for me to DIY that would be easy/quick enough to adjust on the fly and be lightweight that didn't involve fasteners that could be lost/dropped (and then rummage around on the floor of a canoe while bobbing around on the water looking for them). In the case of the Swift seat, if I'm guessing at its operation correctly, it sounds like if you dumped while fiddling with the seat on the water you'd lose all the components overboard.

My reasoning for wanting adjustable seat height was to raise the seat when I chose to kneel for rough water or rapids. I found it much simpler and more effective to use a narrow pedestal that I could kneel around. It would be nicer to have more height when I kneel but it's so quick and easy for me to change positions that it makes up for the minor height inconvenience. If I'm paddling locally I just bring a cushion to sit on for a height boost if I feel like kneeling for a while. On my wider boats with more stability I was able to raise the seat another inch or so for more comfortable kneeling.

For sitting I don't see a big need for adjustable seat height. I'm sure someone will pipe up and prove me wrong but I've yet to hear of anyone with an adjustable height seat that uses the feature regularly. More like once they find a good position they just leave it there.

Alan

PostPosted: May 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm 

Hi Dave,
Yes they are brand new this winter, The first one was made for Shawn James of My Self Reliance. That is where I saw it first, I watched the swift review with Shawn when he picked up the boat. Should become more common this coming season.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 3:17 pm 

Shawn has the double seat pods. I have the same boat, wife just bought it the on the weekend.

You can see a good explanation of the multi height seat pods on swifts youtube channel on 2019 solo boats or on the prospector 14