It is currently July 16th, 2019, 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 21st, 2019, 8:39 am 

I'm sure there were plenty of folks out and about over the long weekend that just passed. Would enjoy hearing about how the conditions were, especially with regards to Algonquin bugs, mud, and water levels. Musings from trips to other locations are also welcomed.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2019, 9:15 am 

We paddled the western Killarney coast - Baie Fine out to Frazer Bay and along the fingers back to the town of Killarney. No bugs, plenty of rain, wind and waves. Swells were +3ft on Frazer Bay and we were getting some nutty reflection waves bouncing off the cliffs. Very Superior like....

Water levels are up everywhere. Super high on the Bay, with docks and boathouses under/almost underwater in Killarney. Leaves are popping and warmer temps are on the way. Blackflies will be out in a week. Everything is delayed about 1-2 weeks this year from the norm (at least in the Near North and up towards Timmins in the NE). Else, typical spring conditions.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: May 21st, 2019, 11:50 am 

East side of Kawartha Highlands had few black flies biting on Friday, but by Monday morning they were pretty vicious.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2019, 2:54 pm 

West side of Algonquin was very muddy but not impassable.
High water levels, but not flooding.
Black flies were out but not yet biting, no mosquitoes.
A great trip. It only rained in the evening and overnight.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2019, 7:33 am 

Killbear/Massasauga/Franklin Island
Readers digest version 8)
Water is very cold and high.
Blackflies were out and biting on the the one nice warm day on Sunday.
Fish & chips at Gilly's at Snug Harbour was Great!!!!
:)
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm 

Rock, Pen, Clydegale - 20th - 23rd. Black flies only started Wednesday - and it depended on location. Water levels were fine and portages were seasonably muddy - nothing outstanding.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2019, 7:15 pm 

I was at Kioshkikwi, north Algonquin. I beat the bugs there, ice-out was maybe a week prior. I was hoping to fish for lakers, but the winds and the waves were not on my side. The water temperature was still about 2°, so between that and whitecaps on Kioshkikwi, I chose not to risk it. It looks like when iceout happened, it came quickly, so blackflies are going to be nasty for the next 2 or 3 weeks. Carmen, who runs the office at Kiosk, was the same ray of sunshine she always is.

The remnants of high water levels are still visible, with flooded campsites, underwater beaches, swift currents (I camped at the mouth of the Amable Du Fond at Kioshkikwi Lake). I was warned about possible floating trees in the lake. Long weekend traffic enforcement was... unusually visible, as was the presence of wardens in the park.

When I checked last week, a few access roads were still closed, mostly due to washouts. Can't find tell of that now, so I'm assuming all the access roads are open until I hear otherwise.

There was a general feeling that, despite the shit weather, the summer season had arrived.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 12:04 pm 

Agawa River this long weekend (Lake Superior Park)

A few mosquitoes and a couple black flies although the flies were not biting.
Water was very high (3-4') and fast.
Rained all 3 days

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey