It is currently December 6th, 2019, 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 1st, 2019, 3:58 pm 

I'm retired, so never on week-ends.

Thought about Frontenac PP to get used to soloing. Thanks all!

PostPosted: July 1st, 2019, 4:01 pm 

steve.of.london wrote:

Thanks, @Steve.of.london

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 7:49 am 

I still wonder why no one looks south.. The Adirondacks are less than half the drive time to Frontenac( 2 hours from Montreal, closer than La Mauricie) and at 2000 feet they are a boreal forest.. And chock full of canoe routes.. some are ambitious and others suited for first time soloists.
Oh and free

https://www.adirondack.net/lakes/

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 11:33 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
I still wonder why no one looks south.. The Adirondacks are less than half the drive time to Frontenac( 2 hours from Montreal, closer than La Mauricie) and at 2000 feet they are a boreal forest.. And chock full of canoe routes.. some are ambitious and others suited for first time soloists.
Oh and free

Insurance, unpleasant border agents (both sides), unfamiliar laws...

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 12:40 pm 

scratchypants wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
Oh and free

Insurance, unpleasant border agents (both sides), unfamiliar laws...

I don't get that at all.. I am off to canoe in New Brunswick next week.. Insurance?? You don't need any other auto insurance. Sure there can be snarky border guards but they are not the norm. Sometimes we get what we bring.
kph to mph is not hard.
I cross several times a year..

I understand some law enforcement infractions make crossing difficult. Were I have a DUI I can forget about Canada for quite a while.

Part of the Northern Forest Canoe trail passes through Quebec.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 5:15 pm 

Not car insurance - health insurance.

I'm a "yes sir, no ma'am" type of guy at the border. It's just something I'd rather avoid.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 4:31 am 

About two-thirds of Canadians hold a valid Passport, better than the US where it's significantly less than 50% (and WAY up from 20 years ago). If you rarely travel outside the country it's a needless expense. You can't get one at the drop of a hat so that put any short notice visit pretty much impossible. Then you have the million+ with criminal records, 500,000 alone for simple pot possession. Pre 9/11 about the worst thing that could happen at the border was a wag of a finger and a turn around.

In 1988 I got a speeding ticket on my way to NYC, the trooper never asked anything about being a foreigner, 4 in the car, no id check except for me as the driver, just wrote me up and politely said goodbye. These days it's more likely I would be locked up, vehicle seized and after a few months deported back to Canada.

There is great paddling south of the border but it's just not a viable option for a lot of people.

Plus these days the USA is an expensive place to travel to for Canadians.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 9:31 am 

kind of BS.. Now pot could be an issue. Its legal in Maine but not New York and still illegal per the feds.. You need to do more research
You would get a traffic ticket and possibly a court date.. Show up.. And your infraction will show up on your Ontario driving record. There is reciprocity between border states.

Where do you get that fake crap about being deported.. Are you an illegal immigrant? You won't even get over the border if you are.

Your vehicle can be seized for a felony stop.Do not import amounts of drugs and resale products. Do you import drugs? If so shame on you.
LOL.. our food costs are so much lower. The same banana that costs $1.40 CDN per kg costs 30 cents USD a pound.. You do the math Don't forget the HST. Food here is not taxable.

I live in a border state.. So are all the Canadians shopping here stupid? I don't think so..