It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:46 pm 

In La Vérendrye standard part of the ritual at the start of canoe trips is checking in at Le Domaine - not only to pay the requisite fees, but also to update whatever maps you may be carrying with the latest information, as marked on a set of topos at a large table. And a standard part of the ritual at the end of my trips is to again stop in at Le Domaine, to update the staff with any new information I can report from the field. They usually update their maps on the map table quite promptly, so I warmly suggest that all paddlers visiting La Vérendrye be sure to cross-check whatever maps they use with the latest information marked on these topos.

Cheers and peace.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2018, 9:28 am 

That's a great tip Mr Boal - I did not know that and have been there several times with experienced paddlers!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2018, 7:39 pm 

I added map 8 which is called Circuit 25 but it is not really a circuit. It is a large area on the other side of highway 117

PostPosted: February 27th, 2018, 9:16 pm 

Well the map index on my maps shows me that I am missing maps 4, 6 and 7. I do not see a map 5 in the index.

Is anyone interested in donating one of those maps to this project? I don't really feel like spending another 30 bucks :-) They are about 10 bucks each.

If you are interested, PM me. You can call World of Maps in Ottawa and pay for one to have set aide for me. I live around the corner from there.

Buy me a map and I'll google map it :-)

PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 9:32 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
I added map 8 which is called Circuit 25 but it is not really a circuit. It is a large area on the other side of highway 117

Have you done circuit 25? Looks like it would be a nice portage free trip but I wonder about the motor boat traffic. A few boats here and there is fine, maybe just avoid the spring fishing crowd and go later in July/August and you could make a nice trip.

Thanks for posting this information.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 11:13 am 

Like I said they call it "circuit 25" but best I can tell it is not really a circuit. Click through and have a look at the map yourself - basically everything north of the 117 is map 8 and called "circuit 25". I have that entire map completed so yes it is there. And there are very few portages north of the 117, and the few that are there are very short.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 9:49 pm 

dude !! thanks so much
and 16 is the best. you need to do it.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:52 pm 

Robin wrote:
Prospector16 wrote:

Have you done circuit 25? Looks like it would be a nice portage free trip but I wonder about the motor boat traffic. A few boats here and there is fine, maybe just avoid the spring fishing crowd and go later in July/August and you could make a nice trip.

Thanks for posting this information.

Circuit 25 is all on the Cabonga reservoir, there will be some motorboat traffic but except at peak fishing season there isn't really that much and most of the boats don't stray to far away from the access points.

Later in the Summer when water levels are lower there are tons of nice beach camps available and because the area is so huge it's easy to find an isolated area. You might want to be as far from the highway as you can, it is the Trans-Canada and there is a lot of truck traffic. You would also avoid the bugs which can be brutal around there from late May to early July.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2019, 12:49 pm 

Hey folks so my goal with this is to make it essentially open source data though I am keeping it copyrighted under me until I can eventually figure out how to do that.

I'd really appreciate people's trip updates with things like "site 34-43 has great cell reception" and "3 beaver dams enroute approaching 34-43 clockwise are still there and the first and last are substantial.

I will update my map points with those dated details and will attribute you if you wish.

My ultimate goal is figure out a way to make an interactive website with the data being updated in real time but I'm years away from that :-)

PostPosted: July 20th, 2019, 2:09 pm 

I just realized the other day that I had not yet added Route 70 to my map, which I diligently put together with the help of the local "Ottawa Paddlers" group on Facebook. I have now added it - in the far north west of the map quite separate from the reset of the routes currently in there. Thanks to everyone on this site and in other places who helped me piece it together.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 8:06 pm 

My buddy just got back from Circuit 34 and he gave me some updates for the map and a few pictures. All of the beaver dams and most of the portages have comments now from him, and a few of the campsites have photos. I'm still not sure how to indicate on the map which items have comments so you have to click to find them. But this is the sort of information I'm looking to collect from people - e.g. (quote)

2019.07 - Tricky portage! Comes on sudden, and the current quickens, pulling the boat towards a very large beaver dam. Very rocky shore, makes for a tricky landing. Approach slowly, and tie your boat up before all crew are out.

Then, the first and last 15m are rock hopscotch, so take that slow too.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2019, 7:03 am 

Well I finally bought another paper map - the one that has the 70s routes up around route 70 that I have on my map. Hopefully I'll get a chance to input it within the next few weeks.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2019, 8:07 am 

Interesting. Thanks you for sharing.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm 

I've got most of the paddling portion of 77 and 78 entered now. Still need to enter the portages and camp sites.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2019, 6:42 pm 

Now have all the paddling portions of map 4 entered as well as all the campsite. Next up will be portages and other features like beaver dams and rapids.