It is currently December 15th, 2019, 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 5th, 2019, 6:50 pm 

Need a new saw as my wooden folding saw needs replacing.Decided to try a Silky.Does anyone recommendone over the other?

PostPosted: August 6th, 2019, 7:24 am 

Lots of discussion regarding saws over on wintertrekking.com

I've personally gone to the Irwin Marathon, for canoe tripping I use the 21" which 'cause it's just a hand saw lies flat and packs without issue for me and the 24" for winter camping since space isn't as much an issue.

Cheers,
Ken / sleddawg

PostPosted: August 6th, 2019, 10:45 am 

I have the gomboy and like it. I believe the bigboy is, well, bigger. The gomboy is nice because I can carry it in a pants pocket while portaging so I can cut obstructions without bothering to take off my pack.

Alan

PostPosted: August 6th, 2019, 4:12 pm 

Silky Gomboy is nice, compact, efficient and the replacement blades are readily available and easy to change.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2019, 5:55 am 

Can't speak for the Gomboy but I have the bigboy. If I ever need a new saw I will get a bigboy again. I've owned a few saws over the years and having a bigger saw has come in handy more than once. However, there's times when it's over kill, so can't win for losing lol. The only draw back is; when it's closed there's nothing to hold it closed (doesn't come with a case, or didn't when i got mine) and there are some exposed teeth that could possibly get caught on a pack. Gomboy folds flat and has a case (I think). First thing i did was sew up a leather sleeve for it to slide into and problem solved; however, no one should have to do that.

Not trying to muddy the waters but I've seen the Mossy Oak Camping Saw and it looks pretty sweet.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 7:56 pm 

For portage maintenance I'd say 300mm Gomboy is optimal. It cuts through anything except for trees bigger than 10", which is as big a tree as I'd dare to handle with a folding saw.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 10:19 pm 

I just used the Silky F180 (even smaller) on a 9-day trip and really liked it. In general, my preference/recommendation is to go small so that it comes easily in and out of your pocket on ports, as Alan noted.