It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 20th, 2019, 9:23 pm 

Hello All,

My daughter and I are looking for a remote route in La Verendrye. We have done the upper and lower falls route in Lady Evelyn, went across Woodland Caribou, and other such trips. We do like remote areas and don't mind portaging. Heard about the Hawkesbury loop from some on this sight. What can you tell me about that route? Are there other routes I should look at. We are going the first week of August and hope to be in about 6-7 nights.

Thanks in advance.
Brad Neel

PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 8:41 am 

Not sure what the Hawksbury route is - circuit 70 is more remote but it is only about 41km so not enough to keep you occupied for 6 to 7 days. I know there are other circuits adjacent to that but I don't have them on my map - you'd have to buy the official maps to scout it out (which you should have anyway obviously). Though I seem to recall circuit 70 is not on the official maps anymore - I managed to piece it together with help from people in this forum as well as a guy in the "Ottawa Paddlers" group on facebook. They do have it on the big maps on the table at Le Domaine so that you can copy it over to your own map.

Just look to the top left you'll see it on my map far away from the core area.

http://www.prospector16.com/p/la-verendrye-map.html

PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 9:50 am 

Yes you can extend that route.. Several years ago when you could put in at Grand Lac Victoria I did a week long loop that extended far south of that lake Find Kitisiac and trace the chain of lakes that loop back up.. Just cause it is not numbered doesnt mean it does not exist.. Perhaps best run clockwise.. One of the ports just before entering GLV from the south is up a steep esker. I believe Robin did a TR here on that loop..

PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 12:53 pm 

BTW my circuit 70 map is based on the maps on the table at Le Domaine last summer - the guy on facebook managed to get me photos of them from his buddy who had been there a couple of weeks earlier doing that route. Also pieced in are other sites from earlier maps including some 1989 maps that were sent to me by a fellow in New England who used to go there every year back in those days - there are some sites on that map which are not on the official map on the table at Le Domaine but I have included them on my map.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 12:00 pm 

Lake Hawkesbury is part of Circuit 77. Beautiful loop. Years ago I was stupid enough to do it in early June - didn't see any people for a whole week, but the bugs.... August is a good choice! You can stretch out the route by adding some of 70, or 73, or 78. Trip report (not mine, and very helpful) here: https://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/la-ve ... circuit-77
There's a bit of everything along the route: big lakes, small lakes, stream travel, and a memorable string of seven (iirc) portages between Lacs Hawkesbury and Henault. That stretch gets a bit muddy... the advice I received pre-trip was "just put your head down and get it over with" but I actually enjoyed it. There are some great campsites along the route, good fishing too. Easy sheltered paddling on some long skinny lakes. An interesting cemetery off of Petit Lac des Baies. There is one long-ish portage (about a mile) but it's flat and there's a blueberry patch along the way. Enjoy!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 11:39 am 

Thanks so much for your responses! Due to unforeseen circumstances, we were not able to canoe La Verendrye this year. Hopefully next. Blessings.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2019, 8:31 pm 

BradNeel wrote:
Hello All,

My daughter and I are looking for a remote route in La Verendrye. We have done the upper and lower falls route in Lady Evelyn, went across Woodland Caribou, and other such trips. We do like remote areas and don't mind portaging. Heard about the Hawkesbury loop from some on this sight. What can you tell me about that route? Are there other routes I should look at. We are going the first week of August and hope to be in about 6-7 nights.

Thanks in advance.
Brad Neel

I did this loop the last 2 years. We are 4 guys, average 22km a day. I extended it by going up Grand Lac Victoria, around Grand Detour, and into Lac Lambert. Post or PM me if you want any info

Prospector 16. Let me know if you need any info for the maps.

Gabe

PostPosted: August 17th, 2019, 7:37 am 

I'll take any info you want to provide for the map - I have 77 on there now. If there is any description of campsites, portages or anything like that you think would be useful I can attach it to the appropriate object on my map.

Basically any extra info you think might be useful to someone else doing the route

PostPosted: August 17th, 2019, 10:18 am 

I wanted to do that, but I didnt see where to add a description to the sites

PostPosted: August 17th, 2019, 10:26 am 

Yeah right at the moment I don't have the ability to let users comment on objects - that's definitely my long term goal with all my maps. So you'd have to either post details here or send me a personal message with details.