It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 16' prospector
PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 7:52 am 

Hi all, I am looking to purchase my first canoe. I do 2-3 Algonquin park trips a year and always rent a canoe so I thought it was time to start looking. I found a prospector for sale about 1.5 hour drive from my place but not sure if it is a good deal. I hope you can help me out.

800$ see pictures

No punctures with 1 paddle

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 16' prospector
PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 8:02 am 

Depends a lot on the layup and weight but those wood gunwales look like they only have a couple of years left in them, and all those chips tell me no, this is not worth $800 even if it is under 50 lbs

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 8:14 am 

Good deal if Kevlar.If Fibreglas, no.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 8:18 am 

It is Kevlar and I believe it is 56 lbs.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 8:33 am 

That model is actually one of the canoes I happen to own... we bought it for our sons so that they would have their own canoe to paddle. It is a bit of a beater, mine was old Trailhead rental stock, well-used/loved by the next owner after that. If you can negotiate a lower price, there's no harm in trying to do so, you won't know if you don't ask. It's always a good idea to have a look at the boat (if the pictures are agreeable to you), and if possible, paddle the darn thing! Don't know where you are located, but prices are always higher in the GTA than elsewhere. IMHO, prices will be lower in September... the demand before Labour Day keeps the prices a bit higher.

That's all the two cents I have at the moment...

Last edited by TheLeetAngler on August 27th, 2019, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 11:36 am 

Just a couple of comments to add to what others have said.
If you get a chance, paddle the canoe to see if this is what you want.
For a 16' Kevlar canoe in fair condition that's not a terrible price but I'm more concerned whether that is the boat you want or need.

You mention 2-3 Algonquin trips annually. How many days do you go in? How much gear do you carry. The reason I ask is because of the model.

I love Prospectors. But they are designed to be workhorses and paddle best when loaded. In fact unless fairly heavily loaded they can be a bear to paddle and control in moving water or wind. Paddling solo, I add extra weight in the bow of my Prospector.

Good luck on your decision.
Bruce

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 12:04 pm 

If you really need a canoe like this now, it's not a bad canoe and not a bad price. Probably room to negotiate if the gunwales won't last long. In fact, before I bought I bought it, I'd probably figure out what I'd do when the gunwales go - can I do it myself? is there someone local to do it? what would either cost me?

Bottom line, it's not a bad canoe or a bad price, depending on your need, so buying it wouldn't be a mistake.

If you're either patient or cheap though, you might be able to do better.

P.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm 

Thanks for all the input. I usually go for 3-5 days at a time. I personally travel light but I tent to bring friends who are new to the back country and have heavier gear. I really need it as a all around canoe. I want to use it in the city ( lake or river) for a few hours with the family. AND for my Algonquin trips. I've also been considering a touring ( I think that is the name ) canoe that, from what I am told, is better for lakes.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 3:19 pm 

At 56 lbs that is still not worth it in my opinion because you are spending another $400 within 5 years on new gunwales.

Below 50 lbs maybe.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2019, 10:23 am 

Anyone with access to a table saw can replace gunwales for about 40 bucks. If there are people paying 400, steer them my way, I'll gladly rook them for a hundred less, lol.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2019, 11:06 am 

I think it requires access to a table saw AND wood working skills. I am fairly confident I could not replace my own gunwales like that.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2019, 1:03 pm 

Hey, you have to start somewhere, lol. It doesn't take much skill to make a basic set of gunwales. If you can't get full length material ( and most people can't), the scarf joint to join pieces together is probably the most complicated thing there. If you have an old canoe laying around, buy a chunk of ash or oak and have fun!

PostPosted: August 28th, 2019, 1:28 pm 

Hmmm - Ash gunwales are running $86/pair at Noah's Marine, so after tax and shipping you would be looking at $200 for materials. Of course if you cut your own then it won't be anywhere near as expensive. The first set of gunwales we replaced were done a 16' piece of spruce 2"X4" cut to fit.

http://www.noahsmarine.com/build-gunwal ... s_lst.html

Replacing them yourself is easy enough. The more clamps you have the easier, but I agree with Rob that it's not something you should be shelling out big bucks for.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2019, 10:34 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I dont suppose that canoe is in the the Kawartha region. Stoney Lake area maybe?

That is a Trailhead Prospector. It is narrower and has a lower profile than most Prospectors. It will be faster and less susceptible to wind. Can handle the occasional C2 rapid. Much better suited to the average weekend paddler than the larger versions. The hull seems to be in good shape. Hard to say about the gunnels. Might need to see it in person. If they are still solid $800 is a fair price for a canoe that will serve you very well.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2019, 5:46 am 

I would never buy a canoe with a keel, since keels always seem to get holes/chips in them. Lifting/dragging the canoe over beaver dams can accelerate this, and whenever (if) the canoe bottoms-out on gravel/whatever, the keel will be the first thing hitting on a very small surface area.

People will certainly disagree, since there are plenty of canoes out there with keels (even sometimes triple keels!), but I just wanted share my thoughts.