It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 20th, 2019, 11:13 pm 

howdy. anyone here own or have experience paddling the Swift Prospector? i see that Swift had it designed (redesigned? reworked? interpreted?) by David Yost. this doesn't mean much to me, but i guess one can assume the changes he's made to the 'original', are favourable?

i can see in the pictures and videos that they are less cheeky for sure. the 16 still looks very good to my eye, and much like my old Evergreen in terms of overall shape, dimensions and rocker profile. that boat was awesome to paddle.

i'm strongly considering this boat as i think it may fit the bill exactly and be both very light and beautiful as well. unless everyone is full of BS, i think they must be as well made as claimed.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2019, 9:08 am 

Its a great boat. I paddled the 16 and own a 15 and 14. All are very relaxing to paddle and forgiving for newer paddlers while still being fun to paddle as an experienced paddler.

In terms of build quality I currently own 4 swifts and owned other before. All have been top notch in terms of quality. I prefer the swift layups to my friends boats from various other manufacturers.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm 

DY may have made hull changes. If so they are for user kindliness and sea worthiness. I have known DY for years and never heard a letter even of bull. However he is a computer luddite and in order to have a conversation with him you have to catch him.. At the Western PA Solo Canoe event is always a good place.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 7:33 pm 

I heard Bill Swift talk about it in spring 2018 at Trailhead Paddle Shack Ottawa where he said it is one of the most technically advanced P16s on the market and they'd made significant improvements in performance yet still maintained the lines of the origin P16 molds. He said they continue to invest a significant amount in using the latest science to improve it even further. It was a great talk.

Ever since then I've wanted one but have not been able to procure one yet.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 9:39 am 

I own or have owned a DY Swift Prospector 16, Keewaydin 16 and Dumoine 16'8".

The Prospector is a very pretty boat and Swift construction is great. Prospectors and particularly the Prospector 16 are marketed in Ontario as do it all boats. Lakes, rivers, portages, moderate whitewater. I think they are over hyped. I sold my Prospector in favour of the Keewaydin 16 which I think is a better design for an all purpose lake tripper. The Keewaydin is faster, tracks better, manages wind better, turns almost as well on twisty rivers, and can handle any 1-2 week load a modern tripper would put in it.

I would not take any swift layup into Whitewater where there is a reasonable likelihood of hard impact with a rock. Likewise I wouldn't take one where there is a reasonable risk of excessive abrasion due to prolonged contact with the river bed (low water). Some people do run rivers in Swift composite layups (expedition Kevkar) but they are more choosy about what they run. If you were looking at a Swift boat for this purpose I would steer you to a Dumoine. It is a more manuverable boat that sheds waves better while still being pretty good for lake travel.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 10:42 am 

I find the keewaydins despite their popularity to be a poor design. They arent as fast as the John Winters boats and cant be paddled backwards while solo due to being asymmetrical.

Ive taken my Swift Carbon and UL kevlar layup boats in class 1s but agree to be choosy. I think that goes for any composite.

If you are planning on dragging bottom long term I think you are going about it the wrong way.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 11:27 am 

gnatwest wrote:
I find the keewaydins despite their popularity to be a poor design. They arent as fast as the John Winters boats and cant be paddled backwards while solo due to being asymmetrical.

Just a note that the John Winter's designs are asymmetrical too.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 2:27 pm 

Splake wrote:
gnatwest wrote:

Just a note that the John Winter's designs are asymmetrical too.

I know. My point was that they have that downside without the speed.

I think of the keewaydins as a blend of the prospectors and the Winters designs. I find it has some of the pros of each, a little quicker than a prospector and a little more forgiving than a winters. But slower than a Winters and not as versatile as a prospector.

If you want versatility get a prospector. If you want a fast tripper get a John Winters design.

To me a Keewaydin is a slower but more forgiving Kipawa.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 6:36 pm 

Maybe you had the wrong Keewaydin. So many different variables. before I purchased our Kee 16 I was convinced I needed the Kee 17 because the specs made it look faster. The 16 ended up being considerably faster for us (lightweight paddlers with a light load). Also the 17 has a thwart directly behind the bow seat that prevents you from paddling it backwards. The 16 does not have this thwart. So, you can paddle it backwards just as easy as a Kipawa.

I have paddled a Kipawa many times an never thought it was particularly speedy. But, have not paddled one side by side against a Kee 16. None of Winters solo boats were fast. Both the Osprey and Shearwater are dogs compared to similar canoes by Bell, Hemlock or the Kee 14/15.

The Winisk is fantastic in every way. But a bit big for my needs.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 10:45 pm 

MartinG wrote:
Maybe you had the wrong Keewaydin. So many different variables. before I purchased our Kee 16 I was convinced I needed the Kee 17 because the specs made it look faster. The 16 ended up being considerably faster for us (lightweight paddlers with a light load). Also the 17 has a thwart directly behind the bow seat that prevents you from paddling it backwards. The 16 does not have this thwart. So, you can paddle it backwards just as easy as a Kipawa.

I have paddled a Kipawa many times an never thought it was particularly speedy. But, have not paddled one side by side against a Kee 16. None of Winters solo boats were fast. Both the Osprey and Shearwater are dogs compared to similar canoes by Bell, Hemlock or the Kee 14/15.

The Winisk is fantastic in every way. But a bit big for my needs.

I dont like the Kee solos.

I have a Winisk and compared it to the kee 17. The kee was a dog comparatively

Im sure the Kee is good boat or else they wouldnt sell so many. Just not me.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 11:19 pm 

Bill Swift seems a bit of a marketing hyperbolic machine in those videos, but i have no doubt that all their boats are technically very sound. clearly, it's what they have pursued and how they have positioned themselves in the market, to great success. there are many boats out there, there's a reason i'm choosing the Swift P16 as my third and likely final canoe. it's essentially my 'retirement' boat come a decade early. easy to throw up on any vehicle on a whim, no weight excuses, and a beautiful performance design, made to a very high standard of quality and execution- this is what i'm after.

my boat is on order. it's the last of the 'sage barracuda' fabric that they have remaining on hand. it's going to be one helluva canoe and while it's for our (mostly mine if i'm honest) enjoyment, i'm not without a sense of vanity and this canoe will be a conversation starter. there is nothing like this on Vancouver Island.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 12:52 pm 

Hi jbv,

not sure where you are located, but if you are in Ontario or the great lakes region (Can or US), you owe it to yourself to paddle an H20 Prospector before settling on the Swift. Unfortunate Jeff does not supply middle or Western Canada, only by special order.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 10:17 pm 

I’m thinking about getting a swift prospector but am stuck between the 15’ or 16’. I want something that I can trip solo and tandem. The swift P15’ would be the better choice for solo stuff but I’m afraid of being tight on cargo space on tandem trips. The swift P16’ would be better for tandem trips but may be a bit big for solo. The Swift prospectors design seems like it would be very nice to paddle and I like how they mixed a couple popular different models into one. Can I get some feedback on this please?

PostPosted: February 16th, 2020, 9:22 am 

Prospector type designs haul a lot of stuff but are more river boats than lake boats. I recommend you try one of each length and hopefully if the wind is up. They have 2 inches of rocker in each end.. This makes them potentially harder to keep on course down wind.

It is possible that neither is what you really want. If you do like the design I suggest going with the 16 footer and installing a kneeling thwart for solo.. This improves control and negates the need for bow ballast. However you do have to be able to kneel ( use pads!)

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 7:36 pm 

A Swift Kipawa or Mattawa will handle much better for you solo. Last year you could still order them, not sure about this year.