It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 6:50 pm 

And here
https://www.mec.ca/en/gearswap/post/636485

And here
https://www.mec.ca/en/gearswap/post/636697

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 9:19 am 

Gotta say, it is too bad about what I hae heard about Level six durability here, as I really like some of the features on the new for 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgWKEPoWCII

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 4:34 pm 

My 7 year old and well-used Kokatat dry suit failed this year. I was wet, but couldn't find a leak so I sent it in to be pressure tested. Kokatat sent me a new suit back, no charge, and said the fabric had failed.
You get what you pay for.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 4:52 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

cheryl wrote:
Gotta say, it is too bad about what I hae heard about Level six durability here, as I really like some of the features on the new for 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgWKEPoWCII

Who said something about Level Six durability issues? I looked through the thread and didn't see that. There was a comment about 2 piece suits leaking but I think that is true regardless of brand. My Level Six Emperor is tough as nails.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2019, 7:59 pm 

Just to extend the discussion, I need new footwear to go with the new suit. Does anyone have an opinion on Level Six Shoreline boots? My feet are cold all the time, and spring MW is getting harder. I so want boots that I can portage or cross country up in NWT.
And thanks for the tip. I was just looking at the Emporer Suit, but I think I like the Fjord better for its versitility. I had been using a Kokatat meridian, but it was a struggle to get in out of, and fighting the bugs and the urge to pee made me a sweaty mess.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2019, 7:01 am 

My only complaint about my Level Six drysuit is the rear zipper entry. You can feel like a contortionists trying to use the zipper.

NRS workboots are really warm.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2019, 8:57 pm 

do you mean these? https://www.nrs.com/product/2338/nrs-workboot-wetshoes

PostPosted: December 1st, 2019, 9:07 pm 

Yes! Warmest river shoe I have used.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2019, 12:53 am 

I'm a fan of those boots, on my third pair (about 15 years).

WARNING: They are small, if you plan to wear with drysuit booties (fabric or latex) and comfy wool socks think about going up 2 - 3 sizes from normal. I wear 9.5 or 10 in most footwear, I have size 12 work boots and they are just big enough with latex over thin wool socks.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2020, 6:42 pm 

I decided to pull the trigger on an Ocean Rodeo suit. My Kokatat lasted 10 years...sort of. I will post a review after I use it!

PostPosted: January 11th, 2020, 9:40 pm 

I checked out the Ocean at Silent Sports. They were quite willing to bring in other sizes, however, they were clear that to accommodate the female shape, I would end up with a lot of extra leg length to try and take care of. Would work for my husband. I did like how they were designed. I contacted Kokatat and was told that they were all sold out of anything that would fit a female (it was close to cyber Monday), but it would be better to wait until the spring when they were bringing out a new female suit.
I have been looking at the NRS work shoes, the new boundary boot, and the Boundary socks to go with the shoes (for late spring and summer paddles, and man those Arctic rivers are cold!) and wonder if anyone has an opinion on the new boot?https://www.nrs.com/product/30035.02/nrs-boundary-boots# I do need ankle spport (first long trip has 3 km portage to the Yukon headwaters) and note that this is not mentioned when I compared the 2 boots side by side.

Purpose-built for mucky put-ins and soggy portages, the NRS Boundary Boots deliver knee-high waterproofness with a super grippy, rugged sole to handle the harsh terrain favored by adventure canoeists.

5 mm neoprene upper with liquid-sealed exterior seams and taped interior seams guarantees warmth and dry feet.
Comfy 7 mm neoprene insole atop a high-traction wrap-up sole provides maximum protection and support.
2 mm plastic shim for even more protection from sharp, pointy objects.
Tightening the ladder buckle strap at the top can help restrict water entry if you step in a bit too deep.
Quick-lace boot with cord-lock offers a customizable fit and a storage compartment lets you tuck away excess laces.

Used by river professionals, rescue agencies and Navy SEALs, the NRS Workboot Wetshoe is the hardest-working river boot on the market today.

Lace-up synthetic leather and 5 mm neoprene upper provides warmth, unmatched ankle support and a secure fit.
7 mm neoprene insole absorbs the shock of every step.
Heavy-duty, non-marking lug sole keeps you on your feet in varied terrain.
Wear areas are reinforced with synthetic leather and rubber.
When you need a water shoe that works as hard as you do, on and off the water, the NRS Workboot is your best choice.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 1:38 pm 

Silent Sports is where I ordered my Ocean Rodeo. Really impressed with their service.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm 

Re the two NRS options: I’d go for the Boundary Boots over the Workboot Wetshoes mostly because of the height difference.
Many Far North paddlers use knee high boots by Kokatat, Chota, NRS, etc. Search this forum for more information. The NRS Boundary Boots are knee high.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2020, 1:18 am 

I'm a user of the work boots but I am also always wearing dry pants with socks or a full dry suit so the knee high (that I do have) haven't been worn in 20 years.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2020, 9:47 am 

I know it is not the right season, but I have been unable to locate anywhere in the GTA that has/will have the NRS footwear in stock. They are not even on the Ottawa Trailhead site. Places will order ($25+tax for shipping), and all deals final. Any suggestions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next