It is currently December 4th, 2020, 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: January 5th, 2020, 10:34 am 

[quote="Carpenter"]Super Nova is an outlier here as more WW but any experience with it as a flatwater tripper as well? Similar to Pal or Bob's Special or strikingly different?

Hi Carpenter,
I have a Super Nova. It's a good boat for tripping on rivers and whitewater, but not on flatwater. It's quite slow and inefficient (poor glide). As a comparison, I can paddle much faster in a 16' Prospector on flatwater. It's also very twitchy when unloaded, which can get tiresome if your out for a cruise. For that reason I think a Pal or Bob's special would be a much better choice.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm 

Is anyone familiar with the Northstar Magic? I am looking for a new solo canoe and considering this one. Also been looking at the Northstar Northwind. Has anyone paddled these boats?

PostPosted: January 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm 

Took out an Old Towne Pack a few weeks back, and a Clipper Tripper last week. Wouldn't recommend the Tripper for solo, especially in wind where it was threatening to trip over it's chines. The Pack was remarkably useful. I'm gaining new respect for the little canoes, more-so when things get challenging.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2020, 5:45 pm 

My solo boat is my only boat. :) I have a Souris River Quetico 16' Carbon-Tec that works great on flat water which is where I use it. 41 lbs, it's easy to carry and maneuver when I use it with another paddler. Holds tons of gear, stable and gorgeous. I love my boat.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2020, 9:47 pm 

Thank you for the encouragement wrt American boats - nothing like more choices...point taken though, here and throughout, try it and buy it and if buying used, certainly can afford to take a few chances...

Prices seem to be a little higher than I thought they would be - $2900 for an Osprey, $2200 NC Fox on Kijiji, Algonquin Outfitters has a Heron for $1200...but new to the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10