It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: noire or colounge river
PostPosted: March 5th, 2020, 7:50 pm 

I am hoping to paddle one of these rivers this summer and am looking into shuttle options. I will be going solo sometime late June early July. Was looking for another group who are doing one of these routes who would be interested in sharing in the shuttle costs. I am flexible in timing.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2020, 8:06 pm 

I would highly recommend Michel of https://www.expeditionsrivierenoire.com/fr/.

His prices for the Noire are great. And I would use him for the Colounge too.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 7:54 am 

I did the Noire solo and used Micheal too, great service. He tried to match me up with a group going future north on the river but I was delayed and missed the group. His wife drove me up to my put in.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2020, 5:53 pm 

John at black river inn is also really good... I lead a trip down the noire every sept long weekend, this coming years will be the 8th time, and John has always been outstanding. Michel as well is great. Either option works... both serve the colounge...

PostPosted: March 8th, 2020, 8:02 pm 

no matter which river you do/provider you use, be VERY clear and use a map to make sure your driver knows where to drop you. I won't say which of the 2 providers, but we showed the owner we wanted to be dropped at km 132 on the river, but the driver (who only spoke french) took us 132 km up the road and dropped us! We were at km 187 on the river (the Noire was practically a ditch at this point), and before we had the GPS up and running the driver had gunned out of there! We had to paddle like heck for 3 long days to get back on schedule. Lesson learned :D make sure you have the map out with the owner and driver of the shuttle service!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2020, 11:18 pm 

I've also use Michel of Expéditions Rivière Noire for our trip on the Coulonge. Our driver spoke English just fine and we had no issues being dropped off where we wanted, and later, picked up when we decided to pull out early at Rapides Enrages. For the pick-up, we communicated with them via InReach satellite text messenger.
Bryan

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 6:13 pm 

cheryl wrote:
no matter which river you do/provider you use, be VERY clear and use a map to make sure your driver knows where to drop you. I won't say which of the 2 providers, but we showed the owner we wanted to be dropped at km 132 on the river, but the driver (who only spoke french) took us 132 km up the road and dropped us! We were at km 187 on the river (the Noire was practically a ditch at this point), and before we had the GPS up and running the driver had gunned out of there! We had to paddle like heck for 3 long days to get back on schedule. Lesson learned :D make sure you have the map out with the owner and driver of the shuttle service!

I’ve paddled the upper Noire a few times and enjoyed it. It would be preferable in high water.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 6:31 pm 

I agree. Both are excellent, but I would go back to the Noire. It is very sandy, and you can pull out on to any sandy spot open and camp on it. There were campsite with some rock high up. In some places, the young forest conifir is pretty dense up to the sand, but we could always make a path back for a privy. I can't imagine that it has changed since 2005.