It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 10:42 am 

Hi :D
I hope you are all healthy and doing well. I'm a new member here and would highly appreciate some advice.

When Covid is over, my best friend and I want to fly to Montreal, and spend about 7 days on a canoe-camping trip. That being said, we were looking for a place that wouldn’t require to drive to long from the airport. La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve made a good impression, but Algonquin would not be much further.

So, my first question: Which area should we choose? We are looking for a more remote experience, no other people if possible, and preferably not too big lakes and rivers (we enjoy more paddling on narrow rivers embedded in forests. We are experienced with canoe trips, but have so far only been on some trips in Europe.
Thanks to this great website here we also were looking already a bit closer on some route suggestions for La Vérendrye. Circuit 35 and 77 were looking good. Would those meet our expectations of a quieter trip on small waters?
Or did we miss out another area that someone would suggest for an unforgettable canoe camping trip in Canada?
As said, we’d like to fly into Montreal because this is the best option form Switzerland, so we are a bit limited to this area (I guess driving 4-5h is ok)

Thanks already for your help! Stay healthy and looking forward getting some great insider tips
With best regards, Andri

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 10:55 am 

La V. is way less busy than Algonquin, although there are places in Algonquin that, if you are willing to do long portages, you may not see anyone. In both locations, you may encounter another paddler, but most of the time they will pass by without you even knowing it. Where are you coming from?

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 11:39 am 

Hi Cheryl

Thanks for the first hints! I'm from Switzerland, here its hard to find pure Wilderness. Can't wait to finally be on a Canoe Camping trip in Canada. Staying home all day Long du to Covid drives me crazy...

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 12:15 pm 

Hi Andrew91.

Welcome. La V. is a great choice. Certainly more remote than Algonquin. I would suggest coming in mid July or August so that the bugs won't be so bad. While there are a few circuits that have big lakes, they also tend to have some very nice beach campsites which makes for a nice tradeoff.

You will find that the folks who operate http://www.canot-camping.ca/home.html are quite helpful.

Regards,
MikeD.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 12:47 pm 

Hi Andrew91,

I am glad to see your interest in a canoe camping trip in La Verendrye. Just a word of caution. Both circuits 35 and 77 will lead you to some exposure to vast expanse of water at some point. Winds are a major issue. Stay close to shore in this case.

I met a couple from Switzerland on an hiking trip in the Chic Choc and told them about canoe camping. We kept contact and planned a canoe trip. We spent 8 days on the Attic river (not including the 2 days train travel), a 80km run with train drop-in and pick-up. Let me know if this might be of some interest to you. I would gladly detail local resources for this.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 3:54 am 

Hi Mike and Frederic

Thank you very much for your help! I was already stumbling over that Website of canot-camping. Guess thats the outfitter to go for.

Not sure how consistent the winds are up there, but if ist gonna be too windy, we definitely will remember to stay close to the shore or even avoid the bigger lakes.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 7:48 am 

Hi Andrew,

The wind generally comes from the West. You mention you wanted 7 days canoeing. I'm assuming you've considered driving time from Montreal (about 4hrs), so depending on when you arrive at Le Domaine to get your permit/canoe, etc it may be too late in the day to start out.

If you allow a day on either end of your trip for travel/administration/etc that leaves you with 5 days. As others have mentioned many of the circuits have very big lakes and it is not uncommon to be "wind bound" for most of a day. That being said you may want to consider a 3 or 4 day circuit which would give you some options should you encounter weather or other factors that cause you to lose a day's paddling time, etc.
Once circuit I can think of is Circuit 34 (3 nights/4 days) which could be extended by a day.

MikeD.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 8:27 am 

La V would be my choice for sure. Here is a map I made that you might find handy

http://www.prospector16.com/p/la-verendrye-map.html

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 3:54 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
La V would be my choice for sure. Here is a map I made that you might find handy

http://www.prospector16.com/p/la-verendrye-map.html

Somehow I found your website on my research. Its amazing and very helpful! Thank you very much for your effort.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 1:11 pm 

Hi Andrew,
Some additional thoughts. You mention needing an outfitter. The folks at Canot-Camping in Le Domiane can certainly provide everything you need, with the exception of I believe food. I don't see food listed in their packages. You could stop at a grocery store along the way, there are several "Metro" brand stores in Maniwaki or Mont Laurier, both towns are on the route to the park.

Your other option would be to drive up via Ottawa, the nation's capital, and rent boats etc here. That would also give you a quick drive-by view of the city. Ottawa is 2hrs from Montreal and 3hrs from Le Domaine.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2020, 1:32 pm 

Thank you Mike! I guess we will head right for Le Domaine and rent our stuff there.

My wife actually lived for quite a while in Ottawa, and stayed at a few cottages around the area. But what a pitty that we never went canoe camping! Hope that we can fly to Canada soon, no idea how long those travel trestrictions are valid for.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2020, 1:50 pm 

Andrew91 wrote:
Thank you Mike! I guess we will head right for Le Domaine and rent our stuff there.

My wife actually lived for quite a while in Ottawa, and stayed at a few cottages around the area. But what a pitty that we never went canoe camping! Hope that we can fly to Canada soon, no idea how long those travel trestrictions are valid for.

La Verendrye never opens this early. May 15 is the normal opener. And beware it can be COLD that early. Season ends just after Labor Day.

Don't forget to pick up food at MEC or other outdoor stores. There are two that I know of in Montreal. Nothing at Le Domaine.. And unless the truck stop food has improved I would eat last pre trip meal in Grand Remous.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2020, 3:17 pm 

Quebec is opening up much sooner than Ontario. If I had to bet, I would say that LaV will be open *probably* by at least July. As mentioned previously, you will need to buy food in Maniwaki or Mont Laurier unless you favour the freeze dried hiking meals which I believe the Canot-Camping folks can provide.

Your other option might be to visit Sail in Laval https://www.sail.ca/en/our-stores/laval-1 which carries lots of freeze dried meals. It's more or less right along your route from the airport.

MikeD.