It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2020, 9:37 am 

Hello,

I was looking for recommendations on canoe covers or tarps that can be used to store canoes outdoors.

Currently, I have a 16' prospector in Fiberglass, but in the future, I would like to upgrade to a Kevlar.

Any information can help.

Thanks,

Julian

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2020, 11:37 am 

Plenty of options for canoe covers on line, or use a tarp. Depends on where you plan on storing it, the only thing that a canoe has to be protected from is UV rays, the weather has no effect.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2020, 3:48 pm 

During the winter I keep my 6 boats on racks covered by ordinary Canadian Tire tarps. I've done this for over 20 years with no damage to the boats. The only important thing is to keep the tarp off the hull of the boat. I've seen photos of boats wrapped in tarps that have been damaged, although it's not clear to me why.
I would be skeptical of canoe covers for storing a boat outside in weather for a long period of time for the same reason.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 4:52 am 

When I used to store my boat outside I had the canoe racks attached to the fence. I then screwed a large piece of vinyl (automotive seat covering vinyl) sandwiched between a 1x1 and the fence. You need the 1x1 so the weight of the vinyl doesnt pull away from the screws. Vinyl went up and over the 1x1 and then draped over the canoe. The vinyl is obviously more expensive, but it weathers better and the weight keeps it down on windy days.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 6:09 am 

I store my canoe inside the garage for the winter. During the summer it's kept under a cheap tarp and raised off the ground a bit.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2020, 1:52 pm 

Peter K. wrote:
The only important thing is to keep the tarp off the hull of the boat. I've seen photos of boats wrapped in tarps that have been damaged, although it's not clear to me why.

Yup, just that. The issue I have seen with folks laying something like a blue poly tarp directly on a canoe is that bacterial slime will grow in the moisture layer trapped between the tarp and hull, especially in warm, humid weather. And once that slime dries on the hull it can be hard to scrub off.

BTW, a DIY magic home cleaning solution a friend introduced me to – 50/50 Dawn detergent and white vinegar. No water, just those two ingredients and a soft scrubbie. That mixture is incredible.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2020, 7:09 pm 

See here as well https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 20&t=47439 We use 303 wax on it.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2020, 5:44 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions.