It is currently December 3rd, 2020, 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 14th, 2020, 2:07 pm 

Hi! I moved to Windsor/Essex area last September. I used to live in Montreal, Ottawa & Toronto when I was much younger, and there were many ways to meet outdoor people especially I was in school back in the days. However, after I moved to Windsor, it seems pretty quiet so far. Is there anyone living in the Windsor/Essex area and do whitewater canoeing and kayaking? Would like to make some new friends in this new place!!

Or if you know there are groups in Michigan area, that would be great to connect after the pandemic is over.

Btw, I learned ww canoe first, but just recently got into ww kayak. I took a ww kayak lesson 2 years ago, so I am so new for kayak!

PostPosted: June 15th, 2020, 8:15 am 

Closest to you on the Canadian side is the Maitland river, but unless you get some heavy rains it will not be much of anythng right now.
Closest Drive WW would be elora (aslo low except for rain events.
Next closest to that would be Mnden WW preserve and because of Covid White Water Ontario's insurance company has deemed that only members can camp there this year, But that is not a bad price either.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: June 15th, 2020, 5:25 pm 

jedi jeffi wrote:
Closest to you on the Canadian side is the Maitland river, but unless you get some heavy rains it will not be much of anythng right now.
Closest Drive WW would be elora (aslo low except for rain events.
Next closest to that would be Mnden WW preserve and because of Covid White Water Ontario's insurance company has deemed that only members can camp there this year, But that is not a bad price either.
Jeff

Thank you Jeff. When I lived in Toronto, I used to paddle in Credit River, Minden (Gull river), Palmer Rapids, Madawaksa River since these places are not far. I also tried Grand river and Nith River in cold days, and they were great. But now it's just too far...but who knows, maybe once I have my new paddling friends, we can all go to Palmer Rapids, Madawaska together!

I am going on a 2 week river trip in Quebec in late July. Looking forward to that.

I hope to meet people in Windsor area who like to do whitewater. Maybe have a phone chat since now it's COVID, but I hope to meet up with new friends after this COVID things. Even people doing flatwater is fine. I got a message from a local person today and had a phone chat, who is very nice to direct me some flatwater that I can paddle. I hope to meet more people after this COVID :)

PostPosted: June 16th, 2020, 4:43 pm 

Welcome to the area!
Here's the local kayak/canoe club (flatwater):

http://www.weccc.org/

The whitewater kayakers used to do winter pool sessions together at a local city run pool, but the price more than doubled a couple years ago so it was dropped. That was the extent of the organised group activities. We will casually do some ww trips together, sometimes it's just my son and I. We've done the Maitland, Grand, and Nith many times, but also more ambitious trips to the Gull and Ottawa rivers.
Locally, it's a nice paddle at Point Pelee National Park, or paddle across to Peche Island, or River Canard. When the border re-opens the Huron River in Michigan is also nice as it runs thru state parks, but it is just swifts, no real whitewater.
With the pandemic all trips are off. But when it's lifted it would be nice to have someone to help pay gas.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2020, 1:13 am 

Strider wrote:
Welcome to the area!
Here's the local kayak/canoe club (flatwater):

http://www.weccc.org/

The whitewater kayakers used to do winter pool sessions together at a local city run pool, but the price more than doubled a couple years ago so it was dropped. That was the extent of the organised group activities. We will casually do some ww trips together, sometimes it's just my son and I. We've done the Maitland, Grand, and Nith many times, but also more ambitious trips to the Gull and Ottawa rivers.
Locally, it's a nice paddle at Point Pelee National Park, or paddle across to Peche Island, or River Canard. When the border re-opens the Huron River in Michigan is also nice as it runs thru state parks, but it is just swifts, no real whitewater.
With the pandemic all trips are off. But when it's lifted it would be nice to have someone to help pay gas.

Hi This is really awesome! thanks a million! I saw the website has a membership form. I think people should join the member to see the events? But due to the COVID, I guess the events are all cancelled? too bad that the pool session was cancelled. That's too bad. I always like pool session.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2020, 1:07 pm 

I live in the Windsor/Essex area as well. I have not paddled white water but I do enjoy meeting new people. PM me your contact info if you would like to talk paddling sometime. cheers, Matt.